• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron speaks- appointment expected this week.

Why not give the job to calderwood then?

Presumably because Calderwood been trending downwards as a No. 1 manager and because he does not meet the criteria of a Southend connection.

Calderwood was let go as Cambridge United's manager last season. Still, Calderwood has great experience and knowledge of the game, particularly at the lower levels.

I don't bet myself, but my work does touch on both football and betting (neither as the primary aspect). I'm always interested by movements like last night as someone who wanted to do it could make a few quid out of manipulating the market with little effort.

but I think it's not correct to say we are 1-2 weeks behind the majority. Just as a quick alphabetical sample - on average I would say we are 4-5 days behind.

Our date: 5th Aug

Other League Two clubs:

Bradford 31 Jul
Cambridge 1 Aug
Col U 3rd Aug
Carlisle 29 Jul
Cheltenham 2 Aug
Crawley 1 Aug
Crewe 24 July (ok yes - lagging behind them!)
Exeter 6th? Aug
Forest Green 31 July

Edit: ****ed up our date!

Col U, Exeter & Cheltenham were back training in early June, preparing for the playoffs, so their off-seasons haven’t been as severe as ours.

Fair play to you for checking up those dates. I must admit, I tried and gave up relatively quickly.

I stand by what I said though, most were back before us. In some cases, it’s only a few days, and in others it’s longer. 4-5 days on average, can make quite the difference.

But look, if in five weeks time when we kick-off, we’re fit, sharp and can go for 90 minutes, I’ll gladly admit that I was worried about nothing.

But if we start getting pulled apart due to fitness, it’ll confirm my idea that we should have been back in training two weeks prior to when we were.

I think it’s the furloughs issue played an part in clubs starting training in first weeks of Augs.

From what I understand ..... Fagan original no 2 choice was one of the current senior players . The chairman felt their combined experience wasn't enough and looked for other options
Fagan then has tried to get Calderwood on board to get him over the line while Ron is considering other options . Obviously Fagan is the cheaper more viable choice if it can be made to work with a viable experienced package
Calderwood I don't think would be a full term permanent thing as he would be too dear as a no 2 and also as a no 1
Hence all the pondering
In the meantime a left field appointment like Molesley could happen

From what I understand ..... Fagan original no 2 choice was one of the current senior players . The chairman felt their combined experience wasn't enough and looked for other options
Fagan then has tried to get Calderwood on board to get him over the line while Ron is considering other options . Obviously Fagan is the cheaper more viable choice if it can be made to work with a viable experienced package
Calderwood I don't think would be a full term permanent thing as he would be too dear as a no 2 and also as a no 1
Hence all the pondering

Calderwood as a temporary 'advisor'? No thanks.

Fagan should ask PB to be his number 2.

PB wouldn't take the number 2 slot. He turned down £600,000 per year to be Sunderlands number 2 but got slated on here for praising the team he grew up supporting.

Hence all the pondering

Only senior player I can think of would be JD

Doubt we will appoint tomorrow. My guess: first choice has turned RM down. Second choice no longer so appealing. Third choice playing hard ball just like the first. Bottom line is the embargo. Lots of up and coming managers haven't got the balls Sturrock had to take it on. Too risky for their burgeoning reputations.

Hence all the pondering
Hopefully, that will be Sam Barrett. We need a manager.

Back