• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron Update

I’m in favour of keeping lines of engagement open too, but I don’t quite get the logic behind this.

If Ron had promised a statement at the end of the season on 23rd April, was there no attempt from the Trust to delay by a few days more to be able to meet once this statement had been made? If it had already been postponed twice, I’m sure a few extra days wouldn’t be an issue.

Would also encourage the Trust to be more transparent with this. Kay is doing the best possible job to do so but it should be coming from the Trust directly, as SOS are doing, as clearly there are conflicts already and they could be much more easily avoided if the Trust clarify their position and the facts from their side. This is the perfect example, “the Trust chose this date” etc can be very divisive but it shouldn’t need Kay to come out with excerpts from emails from 2 weeks ago to clear up the situation.

Anyway, I don’t see why any of this should affect the protest or plans made previously and I’d encourage all to attend and take part, but I do think it could be better handled with some more transparency from all sides as part of the “unity” approach.
As the Zoom call was actually rearranged as per OBL, and not as a last minute ploy by Ron, if we simply left arrangements as they were both events could take place perfectly reasonably. All of these issues, that I can see, have followed from the suggestion by one of the participating groups that they would refuse to attend the Zoom call.
In hindsight the unity piece would have been best served by all agreeing either to do or further postpone the call well before now. Given where we are I would say just join the call and use it to remind Ron why there is the protest happening on Saturday. If the call is not Ron’s timing then unfortunately it means it’s us, not him, trying to time it to suit our objectives.

Last edited:
As the Zoom call was actually rearranged as per OBL, and not as a last minute ploy by Ron, if we simply left arrangements as they were both events could take place perfectly reasonably. All of these issues, that I can see, have followed from the suggestion by one of the participating groups that they would refuse to attend the Zoom call.
In hindsight the unity piece would have been best served by all agreeing either to do or further postpone the call we’ll before now. Given where we are I would say just join the call and use it to remind Ron why there is the protest happening on Saturday. If the call is not Ron’s timing then unfortunately it means it’s us, not him, trying to time it to suit our objectives.
I agree with this. In my earlier post I was under the impression that Ron had called the meeting for this evening. As it is clear this is not the case, I think the meeting should proceed with all fans groups in attendance. Whatever is said by Ron, ultimately he will do what he wants anyway.

Its a dig at all players who ever do that. Some will play with an injection because they have a broken ankle. Others will wear a scrum cap over 20 odd stitches to makes sure we get to Wembley or a mask to save us from relegation.

Yet some can't be arsed to close a throw down in the last minute at Scunny. Or even try to block a shot in the most important Essex derby in our history.

JW's actions with a broken arm over cheap talk......No contest.

There's no question that JW is a SUFC hero for what he did against Sunderland.Unfair though to take a pop at Elvis who I assume is sincere in what he says. (He's a product of our youth Academy system after all and if that recent email about the players' salaries is to be believed is on a pretty low wage,relatively speaking).

I think it's only the SOS group who've effectively said they're not interested in continuing this discourse? Other groups have indicated they'd like to attend.

This call is to continue the promised fan engagement, which he's been criticised for not doing, and now seems to be criticised for actually doing.

Of you've agreed you'd like another zoom call lol, it'll be the same old faces asking the same old questions. There hasn't been a meeting with Ron for what 6/7 weeks, remember he promised a meeting every two weeks, that worked out well didn't.

I literally cannot believe we're giving Ron more airtime to spout his ludacris excuses.

I assume the meeting will be shared again so fans can watch?

It's all very inhouse and like I say, the same old faces. No one else gets a look in.

In hindsight the unity piece would have been best served by all agreeing either to do or further postpone the call well before now. Given where we are I would say just join the call and use it to remind Ron why there is the protest happening on Saturday. If the call is not Ron’s timing then unfortunately it means it’s us, not him, trying to time it to suit our objectives.

Do people honestly believe giving Ron yet another opportunity over zoom is actually the right thing. Its done nothing to help the cause in the past so it will be exactly the same this time round. Funny how all the other groups joined SOS yet jump ship at the first time of getting a bit of airtime with Ron. Laughable IMO and a big beggy.

There's no question that JW is a SUFC hero for what he did against Sunderland.Unfair though to take a pop at Elvis who I assume is sincere in what he says. (He's a product of our youth Academy system after all and if that recent email about the players' salaries is to be believed is on a pretty low wage,relatively speaking).

In the summer of 2019 I asked Simon Cox about his strange double calf injury allegedly whilst pre-pre-season training. He couldn't' even look me in the eye. He said the right things but i knew he was pulling everyones pants down. We all later found out he never wanted to be here for that season.

You are the one trying to suggest its Elvis. I have already left that building.

I can already see it now, fans deciding not to attend the protest because they got their 'zoom call'. Our gutless fanbase never ceases to amaze me.

Aren't we still awaiting the answers to the questions that were put to him, anyway ? Surely the zoom chat should be after we've seen these and had chance to consider our follow up questions ?

Do people honestly believe giving Ron yet another opportunity over zoom is actually the right thing. Its done nothing to help the cause in the past so it will be exactly the same this time round. Funny how all the other groups joined SOS yet jump ship at the first time of getting a bit of airtime with Ron. Laughable IMO and a big beggy.

So you think that fans shouldn’t ask questions to the chairman of the football club? I don’t think that is the view of SOS either, they disagree with the timing and they of course have the right to that opinion.

Like it or not Ron Martin is the Chairman of the football club and we should have a dialogue with him.

I don’t see how refusing to talk to Ron helps anyone.

Bit weird having a group calling for change then not attending a meeting to potentially discuss change because it might take the sting out of the protest to request change and communication?

He's played you on this - all groups have to attend - but ask precise questions, record and share the output - agree with other groups that one person will ask the questions (attendees have a separate zoom chat to agree what to say next so Ron can't see it) - listen, be unified and keep answering your questions in order, patiently, politely until you get a clear answer, then move onto the next one.

Don't undermine your effort before it gets started because Ron is playing the game better than SOS
I think you need to understand our position a bit, we called for the protest as decided we would not engage until after that protest. That’s always been our stance. Since then other groups came on board to support the protest, if they still wish to entertain the club that’s up to them, we just think that if we protest we talk after that’s all, we have to show that we mean what we say otherwise there is no credibility

So you think that fans shouldn’t ask questions to the chairman of the football club? I don’t think that is the view of SOS either, they disagree with the timing and they of course have the right to that opinion.

Like it or not Ron Martin is the Chairman of the football club and we should have a dialogue with him.

I don’t see how refusing to talk to Ron helps anyone.

It's been done to death, have you not seen the other meetings? Got us nowhere, in fact, since the meetings we've actually learnt that what he previously said was actually all lies. Why would you want to listen to more lies or have you still not realised? If not, I would suggest listening back to the past two meetings and then you'll realise.

Strange take - you are positioning it as giving Ron and opportunity - you could (and probably should) position it as a chance for your groups to continue asking the tough questions and pushing for answers (and calling it out afterwards if needed where Ron fails to answer things (again) - just feels like ego's are clouding logic on this point

I think you need to understand our position a bit, we called for the protest as decided we would not engage until after that protest. That’s always been our stance. Since there other groups came on board to support the protest, if they still wish to entertain the club that’s up to them, we just think that if we protest we talk after that’s all, we have to show that we mean what we say otherwise there is no credibility

I must have missed this. I assume there was an announcement?

Aren't we still awaiting the answers to the questions that were put to him, anyway ? Surely the zoom chat should be after we've seen these and had chance to consider our follow up questions ?

You mean the meeting that took place 6/7 weeks ago and we've not heard a peep from Ron since? You'd think the trust etc would grow a backbone and stop being walked all over. Instead, I think they're more interested in their minute of fame and probably a bit chuffed that they'll get the chance to speak to Ron.

I think you need to understand our position a bit, we called for the protest as decided we would not engage until after that protest. That’s always been our stance. Since there other groups came on board to support the protest, if they still wish to entertain the club that’s up to them, we just think that if we protest we talk after that’s all, we have to show that we mean what we say otherwise there is no credibility

Mate, I totally agree, support what you guys are trying to do - it's impressive and needed (in my humble opinion) but I just think you are in danger of letting him play you. I think you should take every chance to speak to him, even if it's just to ask the same questions again and then report back to the fanbase again that he's failed. You need to be mature and level-headed ones that won't be put off by bluster or stalling but you'll continuously try to hold him to account for appropriate information/answers and ultimately change.

Please forgive me if I'm coming across as patronising or critical, I'm genuinely just wanting you guys to have the best chance of "success" (whatever that ends up being)

Strange take - you are positioning it as giving Ron and opportunity - you could (and probably should) position it as a chance for your groups to continue asking the tough questions and pushing for answers (and calling it out afterwards if needed where Ron fails to answer things (again) - just feels like ego's are clouding logic on this point

Tough questions, sorry that one made me spit my tea out everywhere. In all the meetings their hasn't been one tough question. It's all nicey nicey questions that are easily fobbed off. I put a large list of questions to the trust and said I'd gladly attend previous meetings etc. Not heard a peep from them either. The clique like to keep it all in house you see.

Back