• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron Update

Maybe listen to his interview first, he may bring up some points worth discussion. He might not but you never know. Stranger things have happened, we once beat Man Utd with the worst squad in the Championship.

Not sure why you are asking them as it would have been arranged through the Trust. It was originally due to be on 21st then postponed twice.

Excerpt from Paul Fitz' email to the other members of the supporters groups on 20th April:
I have therefore made an executive decision to postpone this week's potential call and it's currently re-arranged for Thursday 29th, whilst I feel we'll probably know tonight where our future lies, I thought it worth letting the dust settle before regrouping + I really don't have the time this week to arrange etc (it was quite a lot of work last time)

No, he really hasn't, but I am in favour of keeping discourse and lines of engagement open.
I’m in favour of keeping lines of engagement open too, but I don’t quite get the logic behind this.

If Ron had promised a statement at the end of the season on 23rd April, was there no attempt from the Trust to delay by a few days more to be able to meet once this statement had been made? If it had already been postponed twice, I’m sure a few extra days wouldn’t be an issue.

Would also encourage the Trust to be more transparent with this. Kay is doing the best possible job to do so but it should be coming from the Trust directly, as SOS are doing, as clearly there are conflicts already and they could be much more easily avoided if the Trust clarify their position and the facts from their side. This is the perfect example, “the Trust chose this date” etc can be very divisive but it shouldn’t need Kay to come out with excerpts from emails from 2 weeks ago to clear up the situation.

Anyway, I don’t see why any of this should affect the protest or plans made previously and I’d encourage all to attend and take part, but I do think it could be better handled with some more transparency from all sides as part of the “unity” approach.

By not engaging with Ron tonight you are actually letting him off the hook. He would be under more pressure to give some straight and clear answers knowing the protest is less then 48 hours away.

He knows a meeting isn't going to stop Saturdays action and waffle would only increase the anger level. Now he just needs to see off Saturday and then what.....He could be evasive or simply refuse to speak by claiming you had your chance. Another protest outside an empty RH in cricket season won't get much air time on local news. Nor will it apply any presser over the vital summer months.

For those the do get to speak tonight can you at least clarify the CEO situation. Somehow this title has grown into the saviour of the club. Yet I can't be the only one who has doubts or doesn't know what their remit even is, or will be. Ron would have looked a complete fool not to have the meeting Stan arranged but in no way does that mean he will employ the said person or anyone else in that role.

I said right at the start don't make it personal. If you just want Ron out at any cost you will lose and you wont get any change for the good of us all. Its your team not your club, that was given away before many of you were born.

If you want to get it back that will take time, whether you like it or not its a fact. To achieve that you need to speak softly but carry a big stick (look that term up). Don't let one rule over the other and we will be united because there is room for all opinion, without the need to fall out. My union failed because of selfish personal infighting made them miss the chance of victory.

Will I be going Saturday.....We already have a table booked early at the Railway....Be rude not too.

Last edited:
The club will make a full statement about its Management, Investment and Future at the end of the season. Official site - 23rd April.

That’s what winds me up. The season ends at 5pm on Saturday. So what’s the reasons for bringing this statement forward and going on a zoom and the bbc other than to attempt to disrupt the planned protests?...that is clearly the tactic here, we should all know this by now. Why not have this supporter groups zoom on Monday, once the season is done and the dust has settled?...a simple “Thanks Ron, but we’ll chat to you next week” would of sufficed.

Absolutely communications must happen, if we want change it’s necessary. But we need to start as a “United” collective controlling when and how this happens and what the narrative is. And certainly not 48hrs before a “United” show of support for change. It’s the timing of it which doesn’t sit right, with me anyway. Monday, fine. Perfect time to talk. Season done, protest done. Let’s talk change...

It’s poor timing that’s all and not the “United” front I hoped it would be is what I’m getting at. We need to start taking some sort of power back and returning it to the fans. It is our club after all.
spot on my friend

So the call is going ahead tonight still but only the Trust are attending with Ron? Is that right? If so will the call still be shared?

So the meeting was postponed previously and rearranged for tonight, are any of the other parties backing the protest attending the meeting? aside from SOS who are not attending and the Trust who obviously are attending

All the other fan groups (attending previous calls) have been invited and the majority of these are attending. I assume the intention is to share this as per the others meetings as per the the club statement.

All the other fan groups (attending previous calls) have been invited and the majority of these are attending. I assume the intention is to share this as per the others meetings as per the the club statement.
So the other united groups were they ion the previous calls and are attending the meeting today?

So, Ron has decided a Zoom meeting will take place on his terms i.e. the timing being tomorrow, thus before Saturday’s organised protest. As others have said, this is clearly one of his moves to attempt to diffuse the depth of feeling he knows is present amongst us.

Putting myself in the shoes of those involved, as Ron is calling the meeting I would be inclined to attend so as not to appear churlish. At the start though I would set the ground rules through one spokesperson. Acknowledge he must have a purpose for calling the meeting so all in attendance are willing to listen to what he has to say. However, explain no comments will be made or questions asked on this occasion until those present have had the opportunity to discuss in private whatever information he is imparting. In other words, sit in silence and let him do all the talking. If he asks for any comments as he goes along just decline and remind him you are only there to listen. When he has finished, thank him for his time and say the united groups of the fans will be back in touch with him within the next week either in writing or to arrange a follow up meeting.

It is just an idea but in my opinion this approach would buy the time for the protest to go ahead unaffected by Ron’s blarney and it would clearly demonstrate the unity of the fans at this time.

@TrueBlue @Smiffy ?

If this is true?

True, as I said earlier in the thread. People just read what they want to.

Makes not attending an even stranger decision.

Bit weird having a group calling for change then not attending a meeting to potentially discuss change because it might take the sting out of the protest to request change and communication?

He's played you on this - all groups have to attend - but ask precise questions, record and share the output - agree with other groups that one person will ask the questions (attendees have a separate zoom chat to agree what to say next so Ron can't see it) - listen, be unified and keep answering your questions in order, patiently, politely until you get a clear answer, then move onto the next one.

Don't undermine your effort before it gets started because Ron is playing the game better than SOS

Bit weird having a group calling for change then not attending a meeting to potentially discuss change because it might take the sting out of the protest to request change and communication?

He's played you on this - all groups have to attend - but ask precise questions, record and share the output - agree with other groups that one person will ask the questions (attendees have a separate zoom chat to agree what to say next so Ron can't see it) - listen, be unified and keep answering your questions in order, patiently, politely until you get a clear answer, then move onto the next one.

Don't undermine your effort before it gets started because Ron is playing the game better than SOS

Great idea about the separate zoom chat. Hope that can be arranged.

Every group should attend the meeting. Listen to what he has to say. Do not ask loads of questions. When you have heard what he has said then you should plan protest around our wishes and his comments. Sorted.

Does anyone think the very real threat of action can be just as effective as the action itself? My view is unless Ron provides substance then this protest will go ahead as planned, if his plan is to stop or dampen the protest then he really needs to pull something tangible out of the hat, promises of next week we plan to do X or next month we plan to do Y won't cut it because he has not delivered on these kind of promises before. I don't see the harm in listening, I very much doubt he'll provide anything of substance and the protest can go ahead with the same intensity as planned. In fact I think this would be the best course of action as it would show Ron his fancy words and promises don't mean anything to the fans anymore. Let him waffle and then protest and show him that action is the only thing that will make us back down, not empty promises.

Back