• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Strolls down memory lane are all very well but RM didn't address two issues which have been raised here and elsewhere recently.
Namely why the switch to so many Friday night games?
It suits me personally but then I'm not a season card holder living out of town as so many are.
Also, why are we only in the market for loan players and trialists these days?
Where has all the money gone?
I'll support the club whatever Division we're in and whoever's playing for us but my feeling is that we're gonna struggle in Division 1 next season.

Have you considered e-mailing him or calling him with these questions, i'm sure he'll be happy to respond !

Where has it been said that we are only after loan players??

Remind me who have we actually bought recently?
Oh yes JCR
and THAT was after a loan spell.

Ever bought a car without a test drive BarnaBlue ? Seems good business sense to loan a player to make sure he fits in to the way we play before we buy him e.g. Freddy Eastwood. Remember we bought Billy Paynter, Matt Harrold and Richie Foran without a trial and they didnt turn out to well.

So how is it complete fabrication? You base this on what?

I don't players coming to the club & bleeding it dry through silly wages. I rate Freedman & seeing what he had done at Leeds the previous season proved that he was worth signing. However, I would much rather spend money on a player like Theo (I know his wages weren't an issue!) or Clarke who will give you at least three seasons rather than be a bit part player.

You say that Freedman's wages could be better served in enticing other players to the clubs, when the wages we're offering aren't the problem with the players we're approaching... The two players we've spoken to have agreed terms in principle. I base this on RM's blogs, because he can't exactly fabricate that story... It's libel if he does.

And bringing Clarke into an argument on wages is futile. He was on a fair wage here, and whichever story you believe he was going to a club a) Closer to his home for his wife and her sick father and b) with a considerably higher budget than us courtesy of a wealthy financial backer and a new(ish) stadium development.

<Have you considered e-mailing him or calling him with these questions, i'm sure he'll be happy to respond !<

I know for a fact that he has ALREADY been e-mailed about the Friday night issue and chosen not to respond (so far).
The other question about loan players rather than permanent signings has been raised time and again here on SZ and elsewhere and not met with a satisfactory answer IMHO.

<Have you considered e-mailing him or calling him with these questions, i'm sure he'll be happy to respond !<

I know for a fact that he has ALREADY been e-mailed about the Friday night issue and chosen not to respond (so far).
The other question about loan players rather than permanent signings has been raised time and again here on SZ and elsewhere and not met with a satisfactory answer IMHO.

Probably because it's barely an issue... We've always moved games to Friday nights.

<Ever bought a car without a test drive BarnaBlue ?<

Weststander(where I used to stand until they put the seats in)
Last couple of cars my wife and I have bought came -after a 6 months running in period - directly from my wife's cousin who(until recently)worked for Renault in Lyon so yes :-)
<Seems good business sense to loan a player to make sure he fits in to the way we play before we buy him e.g. Freddy Eastwood. Remember we bought Billy Paynter, Matt Harrold and Richie Foran without a trial and they didnt turn out to well.
<

I don't have any argument with loans as such it's just their exclusive recent use that worries me.Point taken about Paynter et al BTW :-)

However, I would much rather spend money on a player like Theo (I know his wages weren't an issue!) or Clarke who will give you at least three seasons rather than be a bit part player.

But Clarke himself said that wages were not an issue. So what is the point of saying that the money would have been better spent on Clarke's wages?

Also, "not being a sheep and not following the flock" is only meritorious if the flock are heading into danger. If the flock is heading for the cool green pastures by the shady pools, and away from the the Big Bad Wolf then following the flock is a damned good idea. Being independent is laudable ONLY if it is based on intelligent analysis*, not if it is merely a reflex action.

*To illustrate, a man being interviewed on the radio said he chose not to give the MMR vaccine to his child because when he read the the pamphlet, he was struck by how heavily they emphasised the importance of children having it - and felt that they had made too much fuss about it so he distrusted what they said. That isn't intelligent inedpendence that is moronic contrariness.

But Clarke himself said that wages were not an issue. So what is the point of saying that the money would have been better spent on Clarke's wages?

Also, "not being a sheep and not following the flock" is only meritorious if the flock are heading into danger. If the flock is heading for the cool green pastures by the shady pools, and away from the the Big Bad Wolf then following the flock is a damned good idea. Being independent is laudable ONLY if it is based on intelligent analysis*, not if it is merely a reflex action.

*To illustrate, a man being interviewed on the radio said he chose not to give the MMR vaccine to his child because when he read the the pamphlet, he was struck by how heavily they emphasised the importance of children having it - and felt that they had made too much fuss about it so he distrusted what they said. That isn't intelligent inedpendence that is moronic contrariness.

Maybe so, but when facts are not there, then who is right?

I want what is best for the club, but as with life, we all have different opinions. As long as being classed as "moronic contrariness" is aimed at the MMR issue & not somebody who dares not to trust everything RM says or reckons Betsy is crap or Moussa is good enough for a starting place etc etc

I'm hoping we'll get a response on the friday night games in the coming weeks although I suspect it'll be along the lines of that many fans like them and so does Tilly.

As for the issues about money and loanees, well RM has answered that several times I believe. Despite the Eastwood cash and the Man United and Spurs matches we only just broke even in the accounts for the year to August 07. The August 08 accounts showed a loss of £2.4m on the back of a greatly decreased income following relegation stacked against a wage bill that stayed the same as it had the previous year. We're likely to post a similar loss this year. For all the prudence of the early years under RM, we now owe more money than we ever did under Vic Jobson. There's no conspiracy here, just get hold of a copy of the accounts and it's apparent why we aren't spending a quarter of a million on a seventh striker any more.

We will sign permanent players but will only service the wages of around 21 full time Pros and will then supplement with loanees. We currently have 18 Pros by Ron's count (19 by mine but I can't be bothered to go and check again) so will be bringing in two or three permanent signings and no doubt plenty of loans throughout the year as and when they are needed.

Last edited:
Maybe so, but when facts are not there, then who is right?

I want what is best for the club, but as with life, we all have different opinions. As long as being classed as "moronic contrariness" is aimed at the MMR issue & not somebody who dares not to trust everything RM says or reckons Betsy is crap or Moussa is good enough for a starting place etc etc

The moronic contrariness comment was aimed at the idiot parent, as a very extreme example, not at you.

When facts are not there then we have to use judgement based on experience to come to an opinion, and of course people will differ. The problem I have is that far too often facts are ignored or used selectively to justify a prejudice rather than a thought out opinion, and rumours are taken as gospel if they suit that prejudice. You must admit that many, many threads on here run on for pages because people are promoting rumours over known facts.

but had decent past at a higher level unlike Betsy. Spinner, Freedman, Goater, Bradbury etc all played at a higher level.

Ahh so when you said:

'Who wanted him (Freedman) at he club? I doubt T & B, as they rarely buy old players, The Goat being an exception.'

You meant to add, ohhh and...... Spinner, Freedman, Bradbury Betsy and Furlong, but they have all played at a higher level so that doesn't count. Although thinking about it, so has Freedman but oohh err what the hell is my point!!!!???

Keep digging or maybe just admit you're talking cr4p!

Personally think its best when the chairman lets the manager and players do the talkin on and off the pitch, but then I am old fashion when it comes to football.

Funny how we use to moan about chairman like Ken Bates and The Egyptian Grocerboy when they use to spout off.

At the end of the day some is claptrap and some truth , its how you the supporter view it, however it does fill a quiet time between end of season, friendlies and the kick off.

Chairman's Blog

I promised to let you have my thoughts upon my “likes and dislikes of the football industry”.

I can sum this up in one four letter word beginning with f… yes you’ve got it FANS!

My immediate thought is that the most likeable part of football is winning. However on reflection that is not what gives me the greatest excitement, because if I was in a near empty stadium winning would be very secondary. It is the passion that exudes from “you lot” that makes all this worthwhile.

That is not a sycophantic comment because that is not me at all. It is simply the buzz that is created by football played at a tempo and when finished with a goal, gets us all out of our seats.

I remember Dave Webb saying to me when I first brought him back “enjoy the ride!” Unfortunately Dave was not around long enough to enjoy the ride sufficiently but nevertheless he immediately brought a positive attitude to the Club and eventually handed the mantle over to Steve Tilson who has continued that with aplomb.

In thinking about this topic I am reminded of a number of nights that serve to emphasise what I mean. Of course beating Bristol to get promoted as Champions from League 1 and the sight of Sean Goater being overwhelmed is a memory that will last forever.

What about the night against Norwich with Mark Gower equalising to 3-3 in the 90th minute. For me another brilliant evening was up at Barnsley in the FA Cup which was the first occasion I witnessed the supporters dancing up and down the aisles to the “Ring of Fire”. A spectacular sight and one that even now brings a smile to my face.

Another great memory was Hartlepool away, again in League 1, when Flavs pulled off innumerable outstanding saves only for us to nick it 2-1 in the final minute.

Of course Manchester United was also an outstanding night for us all but sometimes it is the away games where fans out-sing the home crowd such as against Birmingham on a Tuesday night in late January 2007. I remember a Brummie supporter turning round to me at the end and saying “it’s been a good week for you Ron, you got planning consent on the new stadium and you have just made monkeys of us!” Strange, there is no doubt he was a Birmingham supporter but he definitely had an Essex accent.

It is funny the things you remember but when it boils down to the ingredients of what makes the industry so likeable the common denominator has to be the Club’s supporters. I have said many times how proud I am of the support the Club generates and I just want that passion to keep growing and the following to be renowned. It really is the lifeblood of our Club and the main building block that will take us to greater things.

When you are at one with the Club, as I am, it is great that we are all on the same page and singing from the same song sheet. Equally, for all those reasons, unfortunately one of my principal dislikes of the industry is when a very small minority of supporters – but nevertheless vocal – choose to be antagonistic and provocative.

I am only ever going to tell the Club’s supporters how it is and I have gone to some lengths to explain the behind the scenes activities to help that understanding. It is when those explanations that reason and rationalise are just discarded and individuals want to promote anarchy. Why would anybody want to do that if they are truly supporters of The Blues?

As I have said in a recent newspaper article I am very accessible – probably too accessible – and many supporters have my email address and mobile number and on occasions that is abused.

For instance, to highlight what I mean, on Wednesday a supporter text me reminding me that the transfer window is open and that we should be signing six new players, going on to say that I was the only person who thought differently. I know such comments are ridiculous but it is the complete lack of forethought of even making that statement that bewilders me. Surely every fan has an understanding of how these things work and that the decisions emanate from the Manager who right now actually wants three more players to add to his squad of 18. A fact widely publicised not only in the Club’s media but also the press.

Anyway, I telephoned the number from the text but the “fan”, who in any event gave a fictitious name (or is not on the Club’s database anywhere) did not pick up. I guess his feelings are not so strong after all. In fact a lot of these antagonists, it seems, prefer to hide behind pseudonyms and I could give you another prime example but it adds little.

The point I am trying to make is that you, the supporters of the Club, create the highs and the lows and I want you to know that my continual and unrelenting objective is to cut out the lows. Success is only ever achieved in any football club by all the fans and management pulling together and not whinging at the first opportunity.

We have a fantastic fan base and I receive many supportive emails and I guess it is because I am a fairly rational individual (or at least I hope so) that people can go out of their way to seek to destroy the Club they profess to support. Unless they are not supporters of Southend United at all but somehow I think they are people that attend Roots Hall.

Anyway, enough of those very, very few Southend fans that try and undermine the great spirit that we have. From previous blogs you will also know that a close second in my dislike charts are football agents. Often not the individuals who can be quite charming on a one to one basis but moreover the lack of morality when it comes to transfer negotiations. Ultimately it is a player that must make the final decision but en route there is a lot of “guidance” that comes from the agent.

Supporters of course know that we were unable to secure the transfer of Theo Robinson but did agree terms with his agent. However we did not agree with the valuation put on the player by Watford. There was another situation very recently where we agreed terms with the player’s agent for Ben Chorley (Tranmere CH) to come to Roots Hall. Steve even spoke to the player on a couple of occasions after terms were agreed but it turns out that he had apparently already agreed terms with Leyton Orient.

It is for these reasons, where negotiations are conducted in a fog rather than with transparency, that makes the world of football agents high on the list of unpleasantries in the industry. As I said a little earlier it is not necessarily the individuals on a one to one basis simply the conflict of interests that concerns me as in most other professional worlds that sort of activity is taboo. I am certainly not being naïve.

However the one or two fans who actually are not really supporters at all, coupled with the meddling of football agents, in no way overshadows the brilliant passion that we have achieved on so many, many occasions in recent years and which it is my ambition to maintain.

However sometimes a little patience is called for so that we do not destabilise the growth path that your Club is on.

Forgive my ramblings if that is what it sounds like but I am dictating this from a distance as I am not in the office today but did not wish the day to end without fulfilling my promise of letting you have my thoughts on this subject.

Finally, as you know the players are back this week and I know that Steve and the Management are focused on fulfilling those current gaps in his squad.

Have a good weekend and up the Blues!

Ron Martin
Chairman,
Southend United Football Club

ok having read your normal load of old hot air, I take it I would be counted in the 1 or 2 fans who are not really fans, now love me or hate me you cant deny my love for southend, my family and I have been on the terraces long before you martin and we will be there along time after you , as for me it runs through our blood and the support of southend is in our families make up., again what a patronising remark from a vile little man, incidentally its funny that he goes over three or four games at the start of his blog, and I was at all of them !

Probably because it's barely an issue... We've always moved games to Friday nights.

is it not then??? brought your season ticket on the back of the original fixtures??
you buy a box set of 22 dvd's as advertised, when you get them theres only 16 you send an email , but you wouldnt expect a responce would you because its hardly a biggy is it

Last edited by a moderator:
ok having read your normal load of old hot air, I take it I would be counted in the 1 or 2 fans who are not really fans, now love me or hate me you cant deny my love for southend, my family and I have been on the terraces long before you martin and we will be there along time after you , as for me it runs through our blood and the support of southend is in our families make up., again what a patronising remark from a vile little man, incidentally its funny that he goes over three or four games at the start of his blog, and I was at all of them !

There is no doubting you are a loyal fan, I would never subscribe to that notion and give you full respect for supporting a club in the lower leagues and not going glory hunting, however, without RM's input and continued support of Southend United, you wouldn't have a club to support anymore.

Yes, people will say he is only in it as a business proposition, and maybe that was the case originally, but I among others think that RM is 100% a supporter of SUFC and with that, 100% committed to giving us a secure future.

Most people think that running a football club is all black and white, easy peasy, but there is so much that goes on in the background, so much negotiating that needs to go on to even get a player in on loan. Everyone constantly questions what RM is doing all the time, I don't feel the need. I still have a club to support, a chairman that sends regular blogs as to his thoughts and movements and a manager that has SUFC running in his blood.

But does a passionate love for something automatically mean that you never do anything that might harm it? Some of the most negative, destructive and pointless comments and chants I have heard at matches (home and away) come from people who regard themselves as passionate, commited true fans of the club.

is it not then??? brought your season ticket on the back of the original fixtures??
you buy a box set of 22 dvd's as advertised, when you get them theres only 16 you send an email , but you wouldnt expect a responce would you because its hardly a biggy is it

What kind of a comparison is that? What you're essentially saying is that you've bought a Season Ticket for the 23 games, but then RM changes his mind and decides to sack 7 of the fixtures off because he feels like it, leaving you paying the exact same amount for just 16 games :unsure:

And I'd rather be a bell end than crawl out from whichever hole you do to have a pop at the club every time the powers that be aren't doing what you think they should be.

Last edited:
What kind of a comparison is that? What you're essentially saying is that you've bought a Season Ticket for the 23 games, but then RM changes his mind and decides to sack 7 of the fixtures off because he feels like it, leaving you paying the exact same amount for just 16 games :unsure:

And I'd rather be a bell end than crawl out from whichever hole you do to have a pop at the club every time the powers that be aren't doing what you think they should be.

But it's not that bad a comparison actually. I for one, can rarely get to midweek games but have continually bought a season ticket despite knowing that due to the splattering of tue/fri games it was not good value for money purely to keep my seats with my mates. However, all of a sudden its gone from poor value to diabolical value!

Back