• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Can't help thinking that transfer money from selling Lenny was supposed to help fund the wages (BTW It's great that Lenny appears to be staying...)
And players may be on a nice bonus only if we get promoted

How? Martin has continually said that he's not for sale for the prices that have been offered. If that was the case, he would have been gone.

Feels like we're gambling on promotion this season.

Catch 22. We came up just short last season overall and in some games we came up very short, so, with our new found expectations of challenging you have to improve. To improve you need better players , to get better players you need to pay better than the players they are replacing. We demanded improvements so we have to realise to do that , we have to pay up !

I think people have hit the nail on the head.

The bentley Payne and various youth money amounts to probably close to 2 million.

We have more money from the football league via the premier deal. I believe is a couple of hundred thousand per season.

Crowds were up again last year. Average of 7.5k with high prices for this division. Of would expect crowds to be above 8k this season if we have another decent season.

I firmly believe that the new stadium has never been closer. Ron will have sounded various people out at the council about the likelihood of success. I think we will get positive news in September and finally leave roots hall.

We also get extra money via the new online app for over seas viewers. I think it's around 150k per season.

On of the biggest factors for me is that Ronald firmly backs his manager's and in PB he has found a manger who he beleives in to deliver championship football.

I think Ronald has learnt his lesson from 10 years ago and in truth football has changed.

I really can see us getting automatic promotion this season.

Let's hope not. We know what happened the last time Martin did that!

This is where is cant win really is it.

2 weeks back, no signings , his and PB's ambitions being questioned, now ( rightly so ) concerns are being focussed on what happened last time. As I said earlier in the thread , if we expect to improve , better players are needed, meaning higher wages. If it doesn't come off, and we face issues , he could face the wrath of the fans again , BUT if the latter is the car, we need to tell the club we are happy with our lot and survival .... but that's never going to happen is it ! Again, that one season aside , when Ron had no money, he has always backed his managers !

This is where is cant win really is it.

2 weeks back, no signings , his and PB's ambitions being questioned, now ( rightly so ) concerns are being focussed on what happened last time. As I said earlier in the thread , if we expect to improve , better players are needed, meaning higher wages. If it doesn't come off, and we face issues , he could face the wrath of the fans again , BUT if the latter is the car, we need to tell the club we are happy with our lot and survival .... but that's never going to happen is it ! Again, that one season aside , when Ron had no money, he has always backed his managers !

And why did he have no money? Because he flew too close to the sun - as a property developer he is at the mercy of financial markets which again don't look great. We paid for it for five years in League Two. I am sure nobody wants that again.

Personally I'd hope he's learnt his lesson, and while the signings we have made look to be expensive (plus Ferdinand's extension would have cost a few quid), we are still a smaller squad than last year and the revenue coming in from TV, checkatrade, EFL overseas deal has increased. You only have to look at some of the players other clubs from our division are signing to see that we are not the only ones splashing the cash.

I don't think we're being overly reckless (Bury are) but I also think Ron is a little overconfident that the stadium a) will happen and b) will solve all our woes. He has backed Brown very well and I do expect our wage bill will have significantly increased.

And why did he have no money? Because he flew too close to the sun - as a property developer he is at the mercy of financial markets which again don't look great. We paid for it for five years in League Two. I am sure nobody wants that again.

Personally I'd hope he's learnt his lesson, and while the signings we have made look to be expensive (plus Ferdinand's extension would have cost a few quid), we are still a smaller squad than last year and the revenue coming in from TV, checkatrade, EFL overseas deal has increased. You only have to look at some of the players other clubs from our division are signing to see that we are not the only ones splashing the cash.

I don't think we're being overly reckless (Bury are) but I also think Ron is a little overconfident that the stadium a) will happen and b) will solve all our woes. He has backed Brown very well and I do expect our wage bill will have significantly increased.

I think the link on post 26 explains perfectly why we had to pay with 5 years in L2.

I feel we could achieve 9000K plus crowds for a lot of games this season - Blackburn as an opener has done us a favour TBH , it will be a big crowd and should we put in a good performance or beat them then a lot of so called 'parttime' fans will come back in their droves .

As an example I have pals who are genuinely up for going to loads of games this season as a level of excitement and expectancy builds around the club because of these signings, a lot of these pals are fed up of getting bled dry by the big clubs like Arsenal etc and are up for sampling what league one has to offer.

I think it was clear last season that Phil Brown had persuaded Ron Martin that the best way to spend the wage budget was focusing it on a core number of key, well-paid players. Quality over quantity effectively. I think to a degree we're seeing it again this year with Hendrie, Kightly and Turner in and the squad supplemented by the six young players and probably a handful of loans as we get towards the start of the season.

What concerns me more isn't the wages (which we're not going to really know until the accounts are released in a couple of years), it's the lengths of contracts. If Ron Martin finds himself saddled with a bunch of big, fat contracts and no income to pay them - again - then it's going to be very difficult to have any sympathy for him. Right now I can only trust that he knows what he is doing and, as rigbsy has said, he is extremely confident that the stadium project is finally moving forward.

I feel we could achieve 9000K plus crowds for a lot of games this season - Blackburn as an opener has done us a favour TBH , it will be a big crowd and should we put in a good performance or beat them then a lot of so called 'parttime' fans will come back in their droves .

As an example I have pals who are genuinely up for going to loads of games this season as a level of excitement and expectancy builds around the club because of these signings, a lot of these pals are fed up of getting bled dry by the big clubs like Arsenal etc and are up for sampling what league one has to offer.

Same here. That is definitely a market to tap into. The 40 something with children, who knows the cost over product for a family day at a PL club is a total waste. I converted a few last season and they are now showing interest in who we are signing, one of them even buying his daughter a Southend shirt rather than the latest Arsenal one.

Same here. That is definitely a market to tap into. The 40 something with children, who knows the cost over product for a family day at a PL club is a total waste. I converted a few last season and they are now showing interest in who we are signing, one of them even buying his daughter a Southend shirt rather than the latest Arsenal one.

Agree with this. I know a fair few people who are coming to Roots Hall to get their football fix and have given up on their Prem team. An Arsenal fan I know is bringing up his lad to be a Southend fan as he doesn't want him to be forced to watch his favourite team on telly.

If indeed we have a new shirt sponsor .Just wonder if its going to be Stobart as they no longer sponsor Carlisle united .

Back