• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan

That's your view of the Haka, it's not mine. My view is that the Haka is a compliment to New Zealand's opponents: it means they consider you a worthy opponent and are showing you respect. It's not used for intimidation at all.

Watch this Haka

They are not trying to intimidate, they're showing respect to a teacher who is retiring. I would argue that once you see a Haka for what it is it will inspire you, not intimidate you.

I think there are different types of Haka. When I was in NZ my group was greeted with one at a Maori cultural centre. No fighting or Rugby took place.

Apropos of nothing, when I was in one of the major cities I accidentally poked a full on face tattooed Maori in the eye. I thought my time had come.

That's your view of the Haka, it's not mine. My view is that the Haka is a compliment to New Zealand's opponents: it means they consider you a worthy opponent and are showing you respect. It's not used for intimidation at all.

Watch this Haka

They are not trying to intimidate, they're showing respect to a teacher who is retiring. I would argue that once you see a Haka for what it is it will inspire you, not intimidate you.

LOL, it's a war dance and the All Blacks are totally trying to intimidate, which is why it has become much more choreographed and theatrical than in the 80s.

LOL, it's a war dance and the All Blacks are totally trying to intimidate, which is why it has become much more choreographed and theatrical than in the 80s.

LOL, it's not necessarily a war dance and the All Blacks (I call them New Zealand) aren't trying to intimidate.

Wikipedia

Although commonly associated with the traditional battle preparations of male warriors, haka have long been performed by both men and women, and several varieties of the dance fulfil social functions within Māori culture. Haka are performed to welcome distinguished guests, or to acknowledge great achievements, occasions or funerals.

As I said, if you change your mindset you'll see it differently.

Last edited:

As I previously said, that's one type of Haka. I wonder how the Maori natives feel about Whitey apropriating their culture?

As I previously said, that's one type of Haka. I wonder how the Maori natives feel about Whitey apropriating their culture?

That's a different issue, and has caused some issues (apparently). However, a lot of the New Zealand players are of Maori heritage and don't seem to have a problem with it.

LOL, it's not necessarily a war dance and the All Blacks (I call them New Zealand) aren't trying to intimidate.

Wikipedia

As I said, if you change your mindset you'll see it differently.

The kids in that video aren't philosophers they are just copying what they see their heroes do.

For international rugby it's all part of creating the aura of the All Blacks, which is an attempt to intimidate opponents and referees. You're not just playing XV men but a rugby history and tradition that puts them on a pedestal.

The kids in that video aren't philosophers they are just copying what they see their heroes do.

For international rugby it's all part of creating the aura of the All Blacks, which is an attempt to intimidate opponents and referees. You're not just playing XV men but a rugby history and tradition that puts them on a pedestal.

As I said, that's your opinion. It's not mine. If you change your mindset it won't intimidate you. There are numerous reasons for performing a Haka, only one of which fits your view. Moreover, you help create that aura you speak of by calling them the All Blacks. I call them New Zealand.

As I said, that's your opinion. It's not mine. If you change your mindset it won't intimidate you. There are numerous reasons for performing a Haka, only one of which fits your view. Moreover, you help create that aura you speak of by calling them the All Blacks. I call them New Zealand.

That was the one they used on Saturday.

I love the Haka. They say they are challenging their opponents.
Meanwhile, the good news. I've been watching nearly all the games. I've watched every England and South Africa game. We are going to win. So get your England flags ready for your window.

Not been a good first half from England. The injury to Sinckler was a real blow. Let’s see if they can make the running in the second half

England have been poor, a shadow of the team from last week. Big big 40 minutes coming up.

We sure did play our final against NZ. Couldn't even get the basics right, stupid penalties. Embarassed by SA.

Back