• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ryan Leonard

Millwall must be one of the worst clubs to be at if you’re underperforming.

Shame Lenny was an outstanding player and servant for us. Hope he turns it around with a couple of thunderbolt goals.

He was a right back until PB turned him into a CM......he was never going to be a Jack Payne but is earning more money than Jack because of his defensive qualities. He did still get into good positions for us but usually tested the north bank scoreboard or over hit his long through balls.

One off his best assets was reading the danger or predicting the second ball and being on the move before it happened.......I dare say that goes unnoticed by many fans on forums.

Behave. When Brown inherited him he was already a midfielder which was why he scored - topically considering tomorrow's match - this goal

Behave. When Brown inherited him he was already a midfielder which was why he scored - topically considering tomorrow's match - this goal

You mean a right midfielder and we all know its virtually impossible to move a lower league player into another position, yet PB managed it with Lenny. Made him the player he is now and we got a promotion and great pay day it.

When you add Bentley, Payne and Dru to the list and the fact PB was the only manager in our history to get us promoted without a spending money on transfers. Seeing as where we are right now, its a good time to remind ourselves that maybe a few clean sheets really weren't the end of the world.

In fact having his name on the all time worst manger list is embarrassing.....If truth be told.

Lenny never played at RB though even though he was signed as one. Sturrock largely played him at RM with the licence to bomb forward with Clohessy behind him. I think PS saw him as a CM in the longer term; he and Kane Ferdinand had a few games together there.

I certainly remember seeing him playing as a triallist RB in 3 successive pre-season games in which he scored three thunderbolt goals!

You mean a right midfielder and we all know its virtually impossible to move a lower league player into another position, yet PB managed it with Lenny.

It was hardly “virtually impossible” if Sturrock had already achieved it with the same player.

When you add Bentley, Payne and Dru to the list and the fact PB was the only manager in our history to get us promoted without a spending money on transfers. Seeing as where we are right now, its a good time to remind ourselves that maybe a few clean sheets really weren't the end of the world.

In fact having his name on the all time worst manger list is embarrassing.....If truth be told.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11716/9407714/southend-sign-boltons-bolger

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25682378

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/28661814

Another one of your Phil Brown myths exploded.

As not one of his signings has brought in a transfer fee he actually had a net transfer spend!

How many managers in Southend history have had a net transfer spend?

Anyway, this isn’t the thread for a discussion of Brown's legacy. If you want to continue that we should start a new thread to discuss how after inheriting a golden legacy he created, through his short-termism, the rut that two managers haven’t been able to extract us from.

Without Brown, Leonard wouldn't be the player he is today.

Great player who can still play at that level IMO regardless of the criticism he's currently receiving from the Mill fans. Midfield 3 or back 3 would suit him well in the Championship maybe

It was hardly “virtually impossible” if Sturrock had already achieved it with the same player.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11716/9407714/southend-sign-boltons-bolger

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25682378

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/28661814

Another one of your Phil Brown myths exploded.

As not one of his signings has brought in a transfer fee he actually had a net transfer spend!

How many managers in Southend history have had a net transfer spend?

Anyway, this isn’t the thread for a discussion of Brown's legacy. If you want to continue that we should start a new thread to discuss how after inheriting a golden legacy he created, through his short-termism, the rut that two managers haven’t been able to extract us from.

Yes quite agree anyone mentioning PB should immediately be guided to this new thread....I'll leave that in your capable hands.

I certainly remember seeing him playing as a triallist RB in 3 successive pre-season games in which he scored three thunderbolt goals!
Hence why I said he was signed as a RB. PS must have seen those thunderbolts in pre-season and decided to play him in midfield, where he would have more opportunities to unleash those thunderbolts from further forward.

I hate to say it, but maybe this shows the gap between League One and Championship is bigger than we know. Lenny is a great player and too good for this league but with the money that filters down from the Premier League, being too good for League One doesn't necessarily make you a Championship player. Love you Lenny

Don’t know how anyone can say that Lenny is a great player tbh , he’s a hard working athletic player with good ability but if you think he’s a great player then I don’t think you’ve set your standards high enough

Don’t know how anyone can say that Lenny is a great player tbh , he’s a hard working athletic player with good ability but if you think he’s a great player then I don’t think you’ve set your standards high enough

How we could do with some of those ‘no so great’ qualities in our midfield right now.

Won Player of the Season three times - think that's pretty indicative of a great player for us.

Won Player of the Season three times - think that's pretty indicative of a great player for us.
It's pretty clear that Len had the ability to play at a higher level than FL1, otherwise why would Chris Wilder of Sheffield Utd and Bomber Harris of Millwall have pursued him for so long. As it turned out he didn't deliver at Sheffield but that was probably down to where Wilder wanted to play him. I spent a bit of time on the Sheffield board before and after he signed and the consensus was that he could definitely do a job for them but not in the position Wilder bought him for. The view was that he would be much better as a full back or centre back. The problem was that they already had players as good as Len in those positions. Looks like the jury is out at Millwall. He started off with good reviews but of late has come in for some criticism, and when Millwall fans criticise they actually assassinate players. He will need to find his best position in the Championship but it will take a bit of time yet I think. as OBL says, he was a great player for us, season after season.

On the bench for Millwall tonight against Fulham first game back after an injury.

RYAN Leonard still relishes his role in Southend United’s play-off win at Wembley but does not remember too much about it.

More...

Back