• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The only match it could have been was Friday 17th October 1980 Southend won 2-0 slightly before my time anyone remember it?
It couldn't have been the games v Scunthorpe in 1984 as I was going then and would have remembered it. He only played 11 games for Scunthorpe. I see he played non-league for Yeovil as well.

That one at home in February 1984 was a Friday night game. Anyone got the program to check the Scunny team?

Is Thommo injured? If not then why have some posters discarded him from the starting 11? He played well in the CTT (check-a-trade trophy) and held his own at Bolton didn't he?

Is Thommo injured? If not then why have some posters discarded him from the starting 11? He played well in the CTT (check-a-trade trophy) and held his own at Bolton didn't he?

He was left out of my starting eleven because I included Barrett and Sokolik, and it's no secret that I rate Sokolik. Inniss must also feature in the set up so it was a straight choice between Barrett and Thompson for me, and Barrett won because Rigsby told me he should.

Last edited:
He was left out of my starting eleven because I included Barrett and Sokolik, and it's no secret that I rate Sokolik. Inniss must also feature in the set up so it was a straight choice between Barrett and Thompson for me, and Barrett won because Rigsby told me he should.

Now, now RHB. You always take these things personal. Pick who you like, I'm just letting you know who played well at Bolton.

If I had to go in order it would have been, Barrett, Kypto (debut and goal) White, Tommo. That's for the whole team not just the defence.

Your boy Sokolik for the most part played well but in the second half done what some modern CB's do and got himself in trouble by wrestling with the player and not dealing with the ball. Before anyone says "that's what Barrett does" I'm not talking about a corner or set piece here. I mean an average straight hoof down the pitch. Sokolic should have just won the header but instead on few occasions allowed himself to be turned by the forward and that lead to a couple of good chances for Bolton

So for me if Inniss comes in, then it would have to be for Sokolik.

Hopefully..

I've only seen King in his home games and in all honesty I thought that he did ok even though he was subbed early.

He tries to do the simple things, looks to move in to space and looks like he wants to keep the ball moving - I honestly believe that he will turn out to be a pretty good player.

At the moment he's a young lad probably living out of a suitcase, starting in a new environment in struggling team that is/was devoid of confidence.

Time will tell though - hoping that I will be right!

That's exactly how he played against Brighton U23's.

Good link player who works hard when not in possession.

Could develop into a better version of Wordy, if he had some confidence to have a shot at goal.

I've only seen King in his home games and in all honesty I thought that he did ok even though he was subbed early.

He tries to do the simple things, looks to move in to space and looks like he wants to keep the ball moving - I honestly believe that he will turn out to be a pretty good player.

At the moment he's a young lad probably living out of a suitcase, starting in a new environment in struggling team that is/was devoid of confidence.

Time will tell though - hoping that I will be right!

I see him as a copy of Will Atkinson without the work rate. I'm not exactly Will's biggest fan either.

This, as a 3-5-2, White and Kyp as wing backs.

Smith

White Sokolik Innis Barrett Kyprianou

Leonard Atkinson

King

Mooney Cox

Assuming they are both fit,Coker and McLaughlin to replace the 2 K's and Demetriou and Thompson are obviously better than White and Barrett.

Scunthorpe have a player called Madden and I think this is the player that has scored against us recently. He seems to have the knack of being in the right place in the box to collect knock-downs and loose balls and put them in the net.

It doesn't look like Madden has being playing for them so perhaps he is either injured or out of favour (or perhaps has left) but if he is playing I would suggest man-to-man marking on him whenever there is a corner or set-piece against us.

This is the sort of game we will screw up. Play well V the big boys, then lose this. Though they are 5th atm.

3-1 defeat.

They have a lot of firepower up front and midfield so think we will do very well to get anything. Lets face it in most games this season weve been battered in terms of chances and possession, hard to see that changning until the likes of Timlin and Ranger get fit.

Thanks to all who gave up their time to get involved with the Q&A on our site. I think it makes for a very good read. I have done a similar piece for your Southend Echo which I hope is insightful.

If we fail to make the play offs it would be a huge disappointment and failure in my eyes and the eyes of most other Scunthorpe fans. We've got one of the best squads in the league and improved on last year (where we actually only performed for less than half a season) but the key will be whether we can keep everybody fit and secondly keep everybody happy.

http://www.iron-bru.co.uk/shrimpers-...-of-the-month/

Saturday aside, good luck for the season. Thought it was class of your travelling fans who donated to the Steelworker fund last season. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
The only match it could have been was Friday 17th October 1980 Southend won 2-0 slightly before my time anyone remember it?
It couldn't have been the games v Scunthorpe in 1984 as I was going then and would have remembered it. He only played 11 games for Scunthorpe. I see he played non-league for Yeovil as well.

I was at that game, as it was part of the amazing home run that season.

I'm pretty sure Botham didn't play, as I would have remembered it.

You'd think his 11 appearances would be listed somewhere.

Nope. He made his debut against Bournemouth on 25th March 1980.

That was a substitute appearance !

His first start was a 7-2 defeat - at home !

That one at home in February 1984 was a Friday night game. Anyone got the program to check the Scunny team?
The following information was taken from various Rothman's Year Books
regarding Ian Botham's football league career:- 25/03/80. Bournemouth away 3-3(used substitute).
29/03/80. Walsall home lost 1-3(used substitute).
12/03/82. Wigan Athletic home lost 2-7(played No.9).
16/03/82. Bournemouth away lost 2-0(played No.9).
20/03/82. Peterborough United away lost 2-1(played No.9).
23/03/82. Aldershot home 1-1(played No.9).
17/12/83. Gillingham home won 2-0(played No.9).
26/12/83. Hull City away lost 1-0(played No.9).
27/12/83. Preston N.E. home lost 1-5(played No.9).
01/01/85. Tranmere Rovers away lost 2-0(used substitute).
12/02/85. Peterborough United home won 2-0(used substitute).
The only Southend Utd./Ian Botham link I can find was in December 1983 when Scunthorpe beat Bury 2-0 in the F.A.Cup 2nd.Round.
Ian Botham played at No.9 for Scunthorpe and the Bury No.9 was our former player Derek Spence. Botham did not score in any of his first team appearances.

The following information was taken from various Rothman's Year Books
regarding Ian Botham's football league career:- 25/03/80. Bournemouth away 3-3(used substitute).
29/03/80. Walsall home lost 1-3(used substitute).
12/03/82. Wigan Athletic home lost 2-7(played No.9).
16/03/82. Bournemouth away lost 2-0(played No.9).
20/03/82. Peterborough United away lost 2-1(played No.9).
23/03/82. Aldershot home 1-1(played No.9).
17/12/83. Gillingham home won 2-0(played No.9).
26/12/83. Hull City away lost 1-0(played No.9).
27/12/83. Preston N.E. home lost 1-5(played No.9).
01/01/85. Tranmere Rovers away lost 2-0(used substitute).
12/02/85. Peterborough United home won 2-0(used substitute).
The only Southend Utd./Ian Botham link I can find was in December 1983 when Scunthorpe beat Bury 2-0 in the F.A.Cup 2nd.Round.
Ian Botham played at No.9 for Scunthorpe and the Bury No.9 was our former player Derek Spence. Botham did not score in any of his first team appearances.

Thanks for that B.B. Excellent. I'm sure I saw him at Roots Hall warming up or something.

Back