• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Season Ticket prices ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ June 06 2004,12:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 06 2004,12:14)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (neil @ June 06 2004,12:11)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 06 2004,12:08)]Southend is down the road, offering live football, we should be targeting the wandering fans and not pricing them out.
But wandering fans don't buy season tickets.

If you are talking about general prices then what would you do? Lower the prices? Do you really think that lowering the prices will bring an extra 1500 people (approx) in to cover the loss in revenue?
I disagree, It has worked with clubs like Brentford. They have set there under 16 prices at £30 for example. 14-16 is a brilliant area to target and it works for alot of clubs.

Im sorry but £305 is not saying to people come watch Southend. It seems like its simply targeting its 2000 loyal supporters and not trying to attract anymore.
so how much are our under 16 prices? I thought it was adults paying £305?
£130

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 06 2004,12:21)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 06 2004,12:08)]Southend is down the road, offering live football, we should be targeting the wandering fans and not pricing them out.

If you are talking about general prices then what would you do? Lower the prices? Do you really think that lowering the prices will bring an extra 1500 people (approx) in to cover the loss in revenue?
I disagree, It has worked with clubs like Brentford. They have set there under 16 prices at £30 for example. 14-16 is a brilliant area to target and it works for alot of clubs.

Im sorry but £305 is not saying to people come watch Southend. It seems like its simply targeting its 2000 loyal supporters and not trying to attract anymore.
£130
or £5 a game?

Is that too expensive? I dont think so, again quite reasonable

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 06 2004,12:21)]1) They simply cant afford £800
2) they can not get there
3) they can NOT get tickets

Do you understand those 3 points.
Yes, but I don't think you do.

Let's say a Tottenham supporter cannot afford to buy a season ticket anymore. Okay, fair enough. Is he going to stop supporting Tottenham for the rest of his life and find someone else to support? That' not really how it works.

He will still try and get tickets to see Tottenham play. So he won't want to buy a SUFC season ticket if he's going to try to see Tottenham play too.

As you say, he may not be able to get tickets and that is when he may come to SUFC. The trick is to make sure he wants comes back and that is what the club don't do very well.

Of course, he may not come to Roots Hall at all. He may well just watch the game on SKY or do some gardening...who knows?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (neil @ June 06 2004,12:27)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 06 2004,12:21)]1) They simply cant afford £800

Yes, but I don't think you do.

Let's say a Tottenham supporter cannot afford to buy a season ticket anymore. Okay, fair enough. Is he going to stop supporting Tottenham for the rest of his life and find someone else to support? That' not really how it works.

He will still try and get tickets to see Tottenham play. So he won't want to buy a SUFC season ticket if he's going to try to see Tottenham play too.

As you say, he may not be able to get tickets and that is when he may come to SUFC. The trick is to make sure he wants comes back and that is what the club don't do very well.

Of course, he may not come to Roots Hall at all. He may well just watch the game on SKY or do some gardening...who knows?
Let me use Arsenal, 40,000 alone on a season ticket waiting list. Near impossible to get tickets.

Southend offer live football and somewhere you can take the kids/family.

Then you have the possiblity of friends in who support Southend, you can go sit with them.

Im not saying every person who can't get tickets for the London clubs will buy a season ticket to Southend. Im not saying half will.

However there is a window there. And more importantly U16s alot of clubs esp in the London area have slashed prices if you want ill get you a list.

£30 for a ST is very appealing as opposed to £130 im not saying £130 isn't fair cause it is however if your wishing to attract more U16s then obviously its still a three figure number and will put people off.

All im saying is the club should be looking at all of this if they want to have any chance of improving the fan base of the club and helping to fill any new stadium or RH for that matter.

Instead they UP prices.

[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ June 06 2004,12:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 06 2004,12:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ June 06 2004,08:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 05 2004,22:31)]Our loyal 2000-2500 supporters will pay the rise but what about the supporters who we want to stop heading off to London?

Why not go to Orient for £30 kids or £170 adults.
I would have thought you could have worked that one out yourself ... they won't go to Orient because they don't SUPPORT Orient, they SUPPORT Southend. It's an invalid argument.

You have to take into account that most grounds in the Third Division are not all-seater and therefore can charge LESS that Southend United for season-tickets for those terraces areas. I don't have access to specifics but I'm sure that higher prices for seated areas are (in theory) linked with increase stewarding and maintenance costs.

Complaining that Southend United charge far too much in relation to the rest of the Third Division WITHOUT considering that most of the rest of the division have terraced areas cannot be a valid argument. There is simply no valid comparison.

Watching football these days in an expensive hobby, whether you are a fan of the Premiersh*te or a fan of struggling Southend United. That's reality. We can all moan and complain about it but supporters will, if personal budgets allow, be there to support their team. It's unfortunate that a small proportion of people will find it difficult to attend as much as they would like to and I have no answers to that specific problem.

Next please ...

WS
Did you not read what i said.

We have our LOYAL supporters who will not jump ship.

What about the Spurs, Arsenal, Man u supporters who cant afford to go to there respective clubs.

They look at Southends £305 for a seat and im sure are not impressed. And lets face it most of RH does not offer a totally clear view of the pitch with the pillars in the East and West and with the cramp wooden seats of the East.

They look at Orients £170 and teams like Charlton and why should they start watching us we arn't exactly appealing to them we finished 17th and are charging alot of money just to watch a basement side.

Why should the new supporters go to Southend Mike, why pay £305 for your local side when a team in the same league down the road is offering you a season ticket at nearly half that.

We moan about the London clubs, but ask yourself this, How is the club helping itself by setting ST prices at that level. How are we meant to attract new supporters. At a time when the club is planning for a new stadium, Surely it a time to try and get people into RH and involved in the club

Brentford, Orient they both are on the doorstep of much bigger clubs yet they set there prices accordingly they try to offer a affordable deal.

I don't see how we are meant to pick up any NEW or EXTRA fans by charging over £300 to see the football we play.
I cant stand reading this anymore......

FM if our club is so poorly run, Over priced and has such a cr*p ground in Roots Hall then f**k OFF.

IMHO £305 divided by 23 = £13.26 per game, this is not Over priced for a Third Division club who have a tidy all seater stadium with reletiviley comfortable faciliites. However the point you make is that it will turn away an Arsenal, Spurs or Man Utd Fan from buying a season ticket, Why? When they are the people who are used to paying a hell of alot more so probably see the lesser expense and even better VFM.

Yes we can all moan about the Toilets or the leg room, However we all have choices so if we dont want to we dont have to go.

Im sorry but i just cant stand anymore of your moaning, which is a shame becuase i actually enjoy some of your posts but not on this occassion  
sad.gif
For f**ks sake man will you f**king listen, and get off your high horse.

THEY CAN NOT GET TICKETS, IF THEY WERE STH AT A PREMIERSHIP CLUB OF COURSE WE WONT GET THEM AT RH BUT THESE CLUBS GET SELL OUT CROWDS AND ALOT OF PEOPLE WILL NOT GO THE MATCHES FOR A NUMBER OF REASONS.

1) They simply cant afford £800

So you have answered your own question you Muppet.

So now you agree that £305 isnt that bad for people who

A>would have to fork out £800 for Premierhsite but can watch us for £500 less.

B>And if living in the Surrounding area would have NO problem getting to Roots Hall.

C> And they would never have a problem getting a ticket at Roots Hall but as you have stated would at a premiership ground?

Thank you FM, So all in all the whole package offered by the Club, i.e. Reasonable priced Season Ticket, Easy to Get to and no problem getting a ticket would appeal to these people wouldnt you agree?

I'm getting lost here:

So what your saying is that Man U and Arsenal fans who can't afford to watch their own team, might want a season ticket somewhere else.
They won't pay £305 to watch Southend and will probably go to Orient for £170.

As they can't get to their own grounds, I presume a train will be used.

They buy a £170 ticket for Orient and catch a train for £12,for 23 games of the season, the train fair alone comes to £276.

£276 + £170 = £446.
rock.gif

[b said:
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:

£130
Conveniently not mentioning the £25 season ticket available in the family enclosure.

Also, a child can on a game by game basis and pay £2 each time.

In a nutshell FM, you are using the season ticket prices as the basis for an arguement that you should be using individual game prices...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ June 06 2004,12:32)]
[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ June 06 2004,12:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 06 2004,12:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ June 06 2004,08:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 05 2004,22:31)]Our loyal 2000-2500 supporters will pay the rise but what about the supporters who we want to stop heading off to London?

Why not go to Orient for £30 kids or £170 adults.
I would have thought you could have worked that one out yourself ... they won't go to Orient because they don't SUPPORT Orient, they SUPPORT Southend. It's an invalid argument.

You have to take into account that most grounds in the Third Division are not all-seater and therefore can charge LESS that Southend United for season-tickets for those terraces areas. I don't have access to specifics but I'm sure that higher prices for seated areas are (in theory) linked with increase stewarding and maintenance costs.

Complaining that Southend United charge far too much in relation to the rest of the Third Division WITHOUT considering that most of the rest of the division have terraced areas cannot be a valid argument. There is simply no valid comparison.

Watching football these days in an expensive hobby, whether you are a fan of the Premiersh*te or a fan of struggling Southend United. That's reality. We can all moan and complain about it but supporters will, if personal budgets allow, be there to support their team. It's unfortunate that a small proportion of people will find it difficult to attend as much as they would like to and I have no answers to that specific problem.

Next please ...

WS
Did you not read what i said.

We have our LOYAL supporters who will not jump ship.

What about the Spurs, Arsenal, Man u supporters who cant afford to go to there respective clubs.

They look at Southends £305 for a seat and im sure are not impressed. And lets face it most of RH does not offer a totally clear view of the pitch with the pillars in the East and West and with the cramp wooden seats of the East.

They look at Orients £170 and teams like Charlton and why should they start watching us we arn't exactly appealing to them we finished 17th and are charging alot of money just to watch a basement side.

Why should the new supporters go to Southend Mike, why pay £305 for your local side when a team in the same league down the road is offering you a season ticket at nearly half that.

We moan about the London clubs, but ask yourself this, How is the club helping itself by setting ST prices at that level. How are we meant to attract new supporters. At a time when the club is planning for a new stadium, Surely it a time to try and get people into RH and involved in the club

Brentford, Orient they both are on the doorstep of much bigger clubs yet they set there prices accordingly they try to offer a affordable deal.

I don't see how we are meant to pick up any NEW or EXTRA fans by charging over £300 to see the football we play.
I cant stand reading this anymore......

FM if our club is so poorly run, Over priced and has such a cr*p ground in Roots Hall then f**k OFF.

IMHO £305 divided by 23 = £13.26 per game, this is not Over priced for a Third Division club who have a tidy all seater stadium with reletiviley comfortable faciliites. However the point you make is that it will turn away an Arsenal, Spurs or Man Utd Fan from buying a season ticket, Why? When they are the people who are used to paying a hell of alot more so probably see the lesser expense and even better VFM.

Yes we can all moan about the Toilets or the leg room, However we all have choices so if we dont want to we dont have to go.

Im sorry but i just cant stand anymore of your moaning, which is a shame becuase i actually enjoy some of your posts but not on this occassion  
sad.gif
For f**ks sake man will you f**king listen, and get off your high horse.

THEY CAN NOT GET TICKETS, IF THEY WERE STH AT A PREMIERSHIP CLUB OF COURSE WE WONT GET THEM AT RH BUT THESE CLUBS GET SELL OUT CROWDS AND ALOT OF PEOPLE WILL NOT GO THE MATCHES FOR A NUMBER OF REASONS.

1) They simply cant afford £800

So you have answered your own question you Muppet.

So now you agree that £305 isnt that bad for people who

A>would have to fork out £800 for Premierhsite but can watch us for £500 less.

B>And if living in the Surrounding area would have NO problem getting to Roots Hall.

C> And they would never have a problem getting a ticket at Roots Hall but as you have stated would at a premiership ground?

Thank you FM, So all in all the whole package offered by the Club, i.e. Reasonable priced Season Ticket, Easy to Get to and no problem getting a ticket would appeal to these people wouldnt you agree?
You think £305 is reasonable for a 3rd division bottom table side ?

Jim, People have cars and how they get there is not so much of a concern in my book, many people have many different means.

All im saying is compared to the other division 2/3 clubs around the London area we seem to charge the most.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 06 2004,12:32)]Im not saying every person who can't get tickets for the London clubs will buy a season ticket to Southend. Im not saying half will.
Why would someone who doesn't support Southend and who doesn't go to most Southend home games want to buy a season ticket?
rock.gif
??

How many U16 travel on their own to Premiership clubs? I would suggest not many.

Again, people go to clubs to because of the football unless they are completely priced out.

Okay, FM, if the club were to offer £30 season tickets for U16 how many more supporters do you think they will get? Can I also say that I would never let a child of mine under that age attend a football match without an adult

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 06 2004,12:14)]Im sorry but £305 is not saying to people come watch Southend. It seems like its simply targeting its 2000 loyal supporters and not trying to attract anymore.
Sorry, but are you really convinced that new fans will buy a season ticket?! You just said : "it's simply targeting its 2000 loyal supporters and not trying to attract anymore". Yes, season tickets target its loyal supporters because that is what they are there for - to provide reward for loyalty with reduced seat prices (£305 divided by 23 = £13.26; that's almost £3 cheaper than buying a ticket match by match) and to allow those fans to sit in their desired seat for the entire season. I'm really not so sure that NEW fans will decide not to come to Roots Hall because the season ticket prices are too much!!

I think you're getting very confused, FM. So let's forget about season tickets and look at what you seem to be trying to argue about : matchday admission. Next season Southend United will charge £16. The cheapest adult ticket at Leyton Orient is the same - £16 - but add on travel charges etc. (£10 for a return from Southend?) and you're looking at more cash to fork out for the same level of football. Invalid argument there.

So what about a better class of football? First Division West Ham United will be charging adults £22 for its cheapest area (the corners of the West Stand) for Category B matches. Again, add on travelling and you're already forking out DOUBLE what you would to go to Roots Hall. Invalid argument once more.

And the Premiersh*te? Our nearest is probably Charlton Athletic. Their cheapest ticket is £20; add on travelling charges and we've got DOUBLE what it would cost to go to Southend United. Another invalid argument.

Sorry FM. I really can't see your point ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 06 2004,12:37)]You think £305 is reasonable for a 3rd division bottom table side ?
It is for a Third Division side with an ALL-SEATER stadium, FM ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 06 2004,12:37)]Jim, People have cars and how they get there is not so much of a concern in my book, many people have many different means.
It's an important consideration though. People do factor in how much time/money will be expended in getting somewhere.

If you don't count it then your argument becomes even more trivial. You could just say that the Wellington Warriors (who are a New Zealand Team that I've invented) have won their championship for the last 50 years and their season tickets are only £50!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 06 2004,12:37)]Jim, People have cars and how they get there is not so much of a concern in my book, many people have many different means.
FFS!! You've obviously never driven in London then, let alone tried to park next to a football ground like Highbury!!!

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ June 06 2004,13:38)]Sorry FM. I really can't see your point ...
And you're far from being the only one there.

FM... the more you try to argue your rather odd perspective on things, the more you cloud the issue.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ June 06 2004,12:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 06 2004,12:37)]You think £305 is reasonable for a 3rd division bottom table side ?
It is for a Third Division side with an ALL-SEATER stadium, FM ...

WS
People will not give a toss about if its all seater or not, but they will the side.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (neil @ June 06 2004,12:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 06 2004,12:32)]Im not saying every person who can't get tickets for the London clubs will buy a season ticket to Southend. Im not saying half will.
Why would someone who doesn't support Southend and who doesn't go to most Southend home games want to buy a season ticket?
rock.gif
??

How many U16 travel on their own to Premiership clubs? I would suggest not many.

Again, people go to clubs to because of the football unless they are completely priced out.

Okay, FM, if the club were to offer £30 season tickets for U16 how many more supporters do you think they will get? Can I also say that I would never let a child of mine under that age attend a football match without an adult
I strongly believe that, Obviously in the past i have spoken to alot of spurs, arsenal, man u fans and i would bet money if we were charging £30-50 for a U16 ST we wud see a healthy growth.

Once again you spectacularly miss the point, FM. The Club cannot compete on season ticket prices with a sh*thole like Gay Meadow. Think about it.

Anyway, I thought we'd already agreed that NEW fans won't be buying season tickets so your argument about not attracting NEW fans doesn't hold water. And as for higher season ticket prices putting people off - the Club reports OFFICIALLY that sales are UP on last season (when we had the hype of the Wignall Revolution) ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 06 2004,12:48)]I strongly believe that, Obviously in the past i have spoken to alot of spurs, arsenal, man u fans and i would bet money if we were charging £30-50 for a U16 ST we wud see a healthy growth.
I'll take that bet!!

Candy from a baby!!!!

tounge.gif

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ June 06 2004,12:49)]Once again you spectacularly miss the point, FM. The Club cannot compete on season ticket prices with a sh*thole like Gay Meadow. Think about it.

Anyway, I thought we'd already agreed that NEW fans won't be buying season tickets so your argument about not attracting NEW fans doesn't hold water. And as for higher season ticket prices putting people off - the Club reports OFFICIALLY that sales are UP on last season (when we had the hype of the Wignall Revolution) ...

WS
As i say we have our loyal fan base of 2000 or so.

So we should have 8,000 empty seats ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 06 2004,12:48)]I strongly believe that, Obviously in the past i have spoken to alot of spurs, arsenal, man u fans and i would bet money if we were charging £30-50 for a U16 ST we wud see a healthy growth.
Okay, assume that the club set U16 season tickets at £30. That means that the club would need 3 new U16s to every one it all ready had just to recover the loss in revenue. Let's assume that there are 300 U16s at present (I have no idea how accurate that is) so we would require an additional 900. Have you spoken to that many FM?

Perhaps you'd like to get them all to sign a contract saying that they will buy a season ticket for £30 and then send it to the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back