• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should Bond be given the job next season?

Should SUFC give Bond the manager’s job?

• Yes

Votes: 253 70.9%
  • No

Votes: 104 29.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I also don't think we'll see Moore next season but I do honestly believe we've got a decent chance of getting Hart. The only reason Blackburn triggered the extension in his deal was to try and recoup a bit of money from his sale. He really grew as a player in his short time with us as well

Whilst I agree, I’d much rather we put faith in our own youngsters and/or buy young from the lower leagues and develop them.. at this level of football we live by a “here and now” way of life. Managers simply don’t get the time to build for the future so it’s much easier for clubs like us to bring in quality from above even for a short time just to almost see us through that season if you like.

Or alternatively we could give managers time and encouragement to build for the future. One of the key criteria for the new manager should be that they play and develop young players. More slack should be given to managers who are prepared to take a long term view and that means playing Bishop, Bwomono, Yearwood and Hutchinson next season.

Or alternatively we could give managers time and encouragement to build for the future. One of the key criteria for the new manager should be that they play and develop young players. More slack should be given to managers who are prepared to take a long term view and that means playing Bishop, Bwomono, Yearwood and Hutchinson next season.

It's all very poetic but Ron will want results and a season of stability. If playing the youth team means flirting with relegation again then he won't want that.

It's all very poetic but Ron will want results and a season of stability. If playing the youth team means flirting with relegation again then he won't want that.

The season before with the old lags we flirted with relegation until Powell came in and played the kids.

Dru showed end of last season that he can star at this level; Elvis was man of the match against Sunderland; Bishop was second in the player of the year voting. Only Hutchinson is unproven at this level and he needs to be given a chance (e.g. regular run outs from the bench).

The season before with the old lags we flirted with relegation until Powell came in and played the kids.

Dru showed end of last season that he can star at this level; Elvis was man of the match against Sunderland; Bishop was second in the player of the year voting. Only Hutchinson is unproven at this level and he needs to be given a chance (e.g. regular run outs from the bench).

We have a very good crop of youngsters and probably the most with potential at any one time in our history. They still need to learn and to be gradually introduced to regular first team football.

There are some, Bishop-Bwomono-Dru, that can rightly be classed as fully fledged first teamers. Equally, the likes of Kelman and Hutchinson, have shown enough to sparingly used but kept in and around the first team squad. They look the business but also look as though they need another season of learning and bulking to really show their best.

As for Bond, for me, its not an easy decision as to whether he stays on or not. I was very dubious about his selections and set up in most of the games he oversaw and much of that has been overlooked because of the result against Sunderland. Maybe it took six games for him to recognise what was best? Certainly, his six games in tenure, saw a wide margin of performance from the team. Some gutsy and resolute and others abject. If he can get the side to be consistent, not consistently bad, then by all means sign him on but of course we'll only know with hindsight. For this he might need a good clear out of personnel. Over the last number of seasons we appear to have enlisted a lot of 'bottle job' players that go missing way too often in games. Brown had problems with them, so did Powell and the jury is out for Bond in that respect.

We have not seen Bond in the transfer market because of how late he joined us. Who knows what he will target or bring in? Who knows what his judgment is like? There are more questions than answers about Bond but that would be the same if we took on someone else.
Does the thought of his appointment excite me? No. Would I back him? Yes. He knows the club and the players and just might be the right fit.

Whilst I'm also not a massive fan of loans, this is the exact reason why a club like ours needs to take full advantage of it.

I always thought PB actually used loans particularly well. A try before you buy if you like. Thompson, O'Neill, Bolger, Hendrie, probably a few others he at least tried to sign again as well. If we could do similar this window and we somehow manage to get Moore and Hart on full time deals then you won't see me moaning about the loan system anytime soon.

You can add McLaughlin to that list as well.:Thumbs up:

But you’ve just selected the examples that suit your argument....

Hart was a necessity I agree, as Hendrie and Coker had long term injuries that necessitated the requirement to replace short term....this I understand. But we wouldn’t have needed him had both the aforementioned not got injured and we were arguably no better off....

Moore was excellent and I’m his biggest fan. I honestly believe he’ll play in the Prem.....

Bunn though was a waste of time. His inconsistency his lack of fitness both physically and with injuries meant despite his obvious talent he, as either a forward or a winger, stunted the development of several potential U23 players we already have...

All loans really do is alleviate you from any long term financial burden....and buy you time to recover from injuries and / or allow time for other players to develop....if they hinder either it’s a waste of time.

I agree they are a part of the modern game and sometimes a necessity but they should be used for exactly that....when it’s a necessity.

As I say it only saves you long term commitment to finances....there is still a loan fee and a portion of or all of the wages....and they aren’t always cheap.

But it does mean you aren’t committed financially should there be a long term injury, a change in manager who doesn’t fancy them, a loss of form or even if they don’t develop like you’d have hoped....as there would be if they were on permanent or long term contracts.

Don’t really understand your argument here. Basically, you’ve pointed out the benefits of the loan system whilst trying to bemoan it.
Take your example of Harry Bunn for instance. You say injury prone, inconsistent etc and none of this I would disagree with. So it’s just as well we didn’t sign him long term like we did with Hyam (injury prone) Lennon (harsh maybe but doesn’t look all that to me) and Dieng (waste of fresh air). We can send him back and try something else.
As for stopping our under 23 squad development, I think this season has proved beyond doubt that some of the undoubtedly talented youth we have at the club have been over exposed.
Loans are here to stay and I think if used well it’s a more than reasonable option.

But you’ve just selected the examples that suit your argument....

Hart was a necessity I agree, as Hendrie and Coker had long term injuries that necessitated the requirement to replace short term....this I understand. But we wouldn’t have needed him had both the aforementioned not got injured and we were arguably no better off....

Moore was excellent and I’m his biggest fan. I honestly believe he’ll play in the Prem.....

Bunn though was a waste of time. His inconsistency his lack of fitness both physically and with injuries meant despite his obvious talent he, as either a forward or a winger, stunted the development of several potential U23 players we already have...

All loans really do is alleviate you from any long term financial burden....and buy you time to recover from injuries and / or allow time for other players to develop....if they hinder either it’s a waste of time.

I agree they are a part of the modern game and sometimes a necessity but they should be used for exactly that....when it’s a necessity.

As I say it only saves you long term commitment to finances....there is still a loan fee and a portion of or all of the wages....and they aren’t always cheap.

But it does mean you aren’t committed financially should there be a long term injury, a change in manager who doesn’t fancy them, a loss of form or even if they don’t develop like you’d have hoped....as there would be if they were on permanent or long term contracts.

1)Don't let everyone know. Its a novel idea I'm experimenting with.....It may well catch on.

2) I think everyone is aware of that fact.

3) Bunn obviously wont be a popular as the other 2 but he certainly was not a waste of space. Which is why he was picked ahead of Kightly or McL.

Unfortunately managers don't have the same time machine that so many fans have use of and unlike fans, managers cant predict who will get injured or not. Lets not forget that Bunn was only signed because Barratt was out for the season. Plus we signed Moore after we knew Lennon had a long term injury.

So really our loanees were signed not for luxury reasons but as cover for our worst ever season for injuries. Yes not all of them will be a success, after all the reason they are on loan is because the parent club aren't sure themselves........Then again neither are all permanent signings a success. Or even the small amount of youth team players who actually make it through for 1st team appearances.......Its football, there is no guarantees about any system you choose..... On or off the field.

Last edited:
We’re not really disagreeing then are we?

My point initially re loans was I am against them as a way of adding to the squad when they either :-

Aren’t any kind of upgrade
Stunt the development of our own
Viewed as a strategy in general

They are however great for short term replacements when you are stuck much like we were last season.

Everyone would like a squad full of permanent signings but in reality its not a viable option. Signing on fees, agent fees and clauses can be a bit much sometimes and then the length of contract they want is a nuisance when they turn out to be toilet. Loans can be a useful option and some will go well and some won't. Assombalonga or Coulthirst? Like it or loathe it, the loan system, is a must and a lifeline to many clubs such as ours.

The jury is still out for me on how good Bond would be longer term. He did some very questionable stuff during those six games. But having said that, seeing as no other managers are really jumping out at me other than Rowett who would probably be well out of our budget, I would give him the job now. We need some stability.

My only concern his transfer policy. We need more players that are young enough to grow with the club like Hopper and Humphrys. Bond might have the contacts, but I worry that most of those will be ageing pros or hasbeens that will come in and do him a favour or will come for one last payday.

Not sure Rowett is realistic, has always managed around the Midlands and strikes me as a firmly Championship level manager.

The jury is still out for me on how good Bond would be longer term. He did some very questionable stuff during those six games. But having said that, seeing as no other managers are really jumping out at me other than Rowett who would probably be well out of our budget, I would give him the job now. We need some stability.

My only concern his transfer policy. We need more players that are young enough to grow with the club like Hopper and Humphrys. Bond might have the contacts, but I worry that most of those will be ageing pros or hasbeens that will come in and do him a favour or will come for one last payday.

The contacts part probably refers to people at other clubs who he can ask to suggest and encourage to sign.
Can’t see us signing any of his old team mates.

Yeah great let’s have a team of other peoples players? I don’t get this obsession some have with who has contacts for loan players? Loans should be a last resort and is very short term.

Identify your own, develop your own, produce your own, improve your own, trust your own.

Why do someone else’s work for someone else’s benefit?

I am pretty sure we do a lot of development work for Chelmsford City/Carphone Warehouse.

Thing is, while KB may have made some odd selection choices in his 6 games, he was also just getting to know the players and assess what they could / couldn't do. May seem obvious to us, but we don't have the unenviable job of team selection!

I seem to remember a certain Phil Brown making some equally odd selections in important games when he took over from Paul Sturrock. Who remembers the Mohsni in midfield incident? Wasn't that at Wembley...?

Thing is, while KB may have made some odd selection choices in his 6 games, he was also just getting to know the players and assess what they could / couldn't do. May seem obvious to us, but we don't have the unenviable job of team selection!

I seem to remember a certain Phil Brown making some equally odd selections in important games when he took over from Paul Sturrock. Who remembers the Mohsni in midfield incident? Wasn't that at Wembley...?

It was indeed.

Back