• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should Bond be given the job next season?

Should SUFC give Bond the manager’s job?

• Yes

Votes: 253 70.9%
  • No

Votes: 104 29.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Its really quite simple. Any potential manager with a current stock, will look at Southend and think. If Bond doesn't get the job its not the club I would want to work for anyway.
Well none of RM’s appointments have had current ‘stock’ being Tilly, Sturrock, PB, SCP and now Bond (have I missed any?)

Based on this then I would not be surprised that if Bond’s requirements re salary and terms were acceptable then he would get the job - and he probably deserves that opportunity too.

Lucky though in that he only got the opportunity due to someone else’s non Football contractual obligations as I understand it.

Whoever it is then I hope they finalise it really soon.

Posted this earlier on the Southend United FB page, so apologies for anyone who has already seen it. Just my view on the present situation.
I have total faith in Ron. For getting us into a new stadium he appears about as reliable as May, in getting the UK out of the EU. However, in selecting new managers Ron has proved reliable and Tilson, Sturrock, Brown and even Powell proved astute and popular signings. Honestly, who could have arranged a season that looked to be heading for mid-table mediocrity and boredom then to the probable ignominy of relegation, into to one that created heart stopping excitement? He sacked Chris Powell JUST in time, then brought in Bond to set up last Suturday's finale of extreme drama + getting an extra 30K from Sky into the bargain! No............ in Ron I trust.

Well none of RM’s appointments have had current ‘stock’ being Tilly, Sturrock, PB, SCP and now Bond (have I missed any?)

Based on this then I would not be surprised that if Bond’s requirements re salary and terms were acceptable then he would get the job - and he probably deserves that opportunity too.

Lucky though in that he only got the opportunity due to someone else’s non Football contractual obligations as I understand it.

Whoever it is then I hope they finalise it really soon.

Yes I agree and have said so previously. Its Ron's MO and has proved successful in the past......Appoint someone who has played and managed at a much higher level, well known in the game but hasn't worked for a while.

If you include Bond, for our last 4 mangers the job at SUFC has been the lowest so far. That's not a dig at us it just says we punch above our weight when it comes to mangers.

My post about 'current stock' was really to point out to some that Southend isn't the dream job some fans think it is. There have been behind the scenes problems that may be still ongoing (you might know). So unless they have been sorted Walsall or Scunny would look more attractive.

That aside I don't get why some rate Hurst (one season loanee wonder) or say the likes of Clarke so highly. Didn't Clarke lose his last game of the season once to see BR into the conference?

Yes I agree and have said so previously. Its Ron's MO and has proved successful in the past......Appoint someone who has played and managed at a much higher level, well known in the game but hasn't worked for a while.

That aside I don't get why some rate Hurst (one season loanee wonder) or say the likes of Clarke so highly. Didn't Clarke lose his last game of the season once to see BR into the conference?

The season Clarke was in charge when Rovers went out of the league he only took over in March so not entirley his fault.

He has gained two promotions at both clubs he has mananged having obtained FA's highest coaching qualification all by the age of 41. He was a very realistic and good option for us so personally I am dissapointed Ron did not feel the same but may console myself by having a few quid on Wallsall for promotion next season.

Sorry but what has happened to the Echo? I could’ve written something better than that. Seems to me that Chris Phillips just grabs a load of rumours from Shrimpzone and writes something. If that’s the case then I don’t see any point buying it.

I notice that Paul Hurst hasn’t yet been confirmed at Scunthorpe. Could he be keeping his options open in case he’s given the nod by Ron?

Q: How would it look to the rest of the footballing world if the man who saved us from the drop wasn't given the opportunity to manage on a full time basis?

A: Not good at all.

I still have very mixed views. I have said before that most of the out of work managers are in that situation because they have for whatever reason failed.

Living in Suffolk now, I have spoken to Ipswich supporters, many of whom don't have a good word to say about Paul Hurst. I tend not to agree with most, but he did bring in a number of players that were simply not good enough. He did also walk out on Shrewsbury to take the Ipswich job and some of the players followed him.

Perhaps he got what he deserved.

However, although I can't agree with the side selected at Rochdale, we at least avoided relegation. I am just about in favour of Kevin Bond.

Whatever the final decision, it needs to be made quickly or not for the first time we will struggle to bring in the Club's first choice players.

Q: How would it look to the rest of the footballing world if the man who saved us from the drop wasn't given the opportunity to manage on a full time basis?

He was given a remit and a contract 6 games long. He fulfilled the remit and the contract. Where's the problem here?

Whether it's Bond or not be good to get it sorted soon as we can prepare for next season player recruitment letting players go pre season plan's etc

Can't understand why KB hasn't been appointed yet. Other candidates have seemingly gone elsewhere. Financial issues?

Why worry about how it would look to the rest of the footballing world, I hope that Ron is just concentrating on what is best in the longer term for our club.

Why worry about how it would look to the rest of the footballing world, I hope that Ron is just concentrating on what is best in the longer term for our club.

Any potential manager might think twice.

The man turned a powderpuff team with no confidence into one that played Sunderland off the pitch. He deserves a chance to show what he can do over a full season.

Back