• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should JCR and Gower switch flanks?

Should JCR and Gower switch flanks on a more permanent basis?

• Total voters

Sussex Shrimper

Manager
I started to think that this might be a good idea last season, and our acquisitions over the summer have only strengthened my belief. My reasoning is as follows...

While I still believe that JCR's overall contribution to the side is a positive one, we all know that he doesn't provide an end product as often as he should. I think that one of the main reasons for this is that he almost always tries to do the exact same thing - beat the defender to the byline. I'm sure that this doesn't escape the attention of opposing scouts and he often finds himself running out of room and conceding goalkicks. This would be less of an issue on the left, as when he moves to cross with his right, he is not running out of space if the defender reacts. It would obviously make it harder for him to put in early, quick crosses on the run, but how often does JCR do that anyway?

The left and right fullbacks that we have seem to operate in different ways when we are going forward. Both Gilbert and Francis like to overlap, which would suit players like Gower and Black who aren't averse to tucking in infield, whereas Che and Hammell are more the sort who like to back up and support the winger - again this might suit a winger with more explosive pace like JCR, who would have the option of turning and laying the ball back for an easy cross. I certainly think that we would maintain a better shape with Gower/Black tucking in and lending an extra body in the middle when need befrom the right, as when they do it from the left we are often simply left with no width on that side.

If there's a downside, I suppose it's the possibility that moving to the right might decrease Gower's ability to get goals a bit, but I'm not convinced that this would be all that severe in effect. I certainly think that we'd gain more by having both of our wingers in positions where I really believe they could be effective than we'd lose by doing so.

JCR and Gower regularly swap flanks during the match to good effect. Bizarrely it does seem to favour the right footed player on the left wing (they look more effective out there) which seems counter-intuitive to me - I guess cutting inside on the left flank for a right-footed cross brings more reward within our team than a left footed cross from the right. It's probably something to do with the speed (or lack thereof) that we get bodies in the box...

On a similar vein, how good was it to see a real piece of wing play from Black down the right last night - he motored past their left back and put in a peach of a cross - I was so excited I almost let out a bit of wee...

JCR and Gower regularly swap flanks during the match to good effect. Bizarrely it does seem to favour the right footed player on the left wing (they look more effective out there) which seems counter-intuitive to me - I guess cutting inside on the left flank for a right-footed cross brings more reward within our team than a left footed cross from the right. It's probably something to do with the speed (or lack thereof) that we get bodies in the box...

On a similar vein, how good was it to see a real piece of wing play from Black down the right last night - he motored past their left back and put in a peach of a cross - I was so excited I almost let out a bit of wee...

Eurgh. And I thought it was rain.

JCr is far better on the left putting in two dangerous crosses last night once Gower was off. Compare this with the nil decent crosses he has put in on the right in his whole SUFC career and I think we have a winner. Gilbert and JCR also look to similar.

Gower I think it much better cutting in and shooting and is for my mind the best player we have bar maybe Maher so I would always start him.

Black looked good last night and I think is worthy of a start and looked very creative.

In conclusion I am glad I am not Steve Tilson.

Watching JCR last night was really frustrating. Every time he had a chance to cross the ball he decided to take the full back on again...and then again...

I do agree though that he looked better when on the left and looks more dangerous when cutting in.

Given Mark Gower's goal scoring threat I would suggest playing him on which flank he feels most comfortable with and build from there. I would also like to see Tommy Black start a game with JCR to come on for 20-30 minutes when the opposition defence are tiring.

Watching JCR last night was really frustrating. Every time he had a chance to cross the ball he decided to take the full back on again...and then again...
QUOTE]

And then loses it or puts in a tame cross. Gilbert must be getting frustrated with him already.

JCR is hugely frustrating, personally I'd like to see Black and Gower on either flank.

After watching last night's game I think JCR should switch to the bench

I think Black deserves to start instead of him on Saturday

I can't vote on this one. As I said in another thread, let's see Gower & Black. JCR was soooo frustrating last night; CROSS THE BALL, BEAT THEM ONCE, DON'T RUN BACK INTO TROUBLE. Sorry about all the capital letters - shouting :thump:

JCR showed last night that he is worth selling! Ok, that maybe is a bit of an overreaction but, I lost count the amount of times he got into a position to cross and then checked back and forth and still didn't centre the ball. It seems to be the biggest frustration of the crowd too. It comes to something when the best cross of the night came from Che Wilson and Bradbury buried it! Gilbert and JCR on the same flank got in each others way all the time . If we must persist with JCR then he needs to be on the left and Gower on the right!

End of rant!

Exactly, JCR out Black in. The kid needs to learn to pass, Gower was quality over on the left last night, and I would have him in my team every day over JCR.

Got to agree that JCR was almost completely back to his old self on Tuesday night.

You've got to assume that T&B can see the problems that we can, and are trying to coach them out of him; which leaves you to conclude that JCR just isn't absorbing the training. I don't think switching him to the other flank is the answer unless it was to bring him within screaming range of Tilly or Brushy. However that doesn't appear to be their coaching style so perhaps a spell on the bench would give him the opportunity to learn how to use his undoubted talent more productively.

Looks like I'm in the minority on this. Just to clarify, I'm not saying that Black shouldn't be given a chance, just that I personally feel that a switch of sides might be the best way to get the best out of JCR and Gower when they do play together.

Looks like I'm in the minority on this. Just to clarify, I'm not saying that Black shouldn't be given a chance, just that I personally feel that a switch of sides might be the best way to get the best out of JCR and Gower when they do play together.

i don't see the point in disrupting gowers play just to try and fit JCR in. Gower is excellent down the left and so why move him? (he also works well with che and hammell)

i don't see the point in disrupting gowers play just to try and fit JCR in. Gower is excellent down the left and so why move him? (he also works well with che and hammell)

I see it as a case of trying to maximise our overall attacking threat down both flanks - something which requires considerations of what is happening on BOTH flanks. I honestly don't believe that a player of Gower's quality would struggle to combine with Gilbert and pose a great threat on the right, whereas I do believe that JCR and Gilbert get in each others' ways too often. I also think that the issue of JCR continually running out of space and conceding goalkicks is costing us enough attacking opportunities to be worth addressing.

It's just my opinion, and I acept that I seem to be in the minority.

I see it as a case of trying to maximise our overall attacking threat down both flanks - something which requires considerations of what is happening on BOTH flanks. I honestly don't believe that a player of Gower's quality would struggle to combine with Gilbert and pose a great threat on the right, whereas I do believe that JCR and Gilbert get in each others' ways too often. I also think that the issue of JCR continually running out of space and conceding goalkicks is costing us enough attacking opportunities to be worth addressing.

It's just my opinion, and I acept that I seem to be in the minority.

yeah i appreciate your opinion and i think gower would be good down the right or down the middle... however my fix would be to drop jcr, start black and give jamal a chance off the bench to run and tired defenders and fight for his shirt. that would be my solution at the moment to maximise our attack. what jamal does add to though is his defensive work is generally good (although he does give the ball away in advanced positions) and black would have to prove his fitness and workrate as i think that was the problem at palace for him

Amazing, isn't it? Two weeks ago, nearly everyone was scoffing at Barnsley's 'paltry' £250,000 bid for JCR. Now, after two games and despite him playing an instrumental part in two of the five goals we've scored so far, people want him dropped.

JCr is far better on the left putting in two dangerous crosses last night once Gower was off. Compare this with the nil decent crosses he has put in on the right in his whole SUFC career and I think we have a winner. Gilbert and JCR also look to similar.

Gower I think it much better cutting in and shooting and is for my mind the best player we have bar maybe Maher so I would always start him.

Black looked good last night and I think is worthy of a start and looked very creative.

In conclusion I am glad I am not Steve Tilson.

He put a great cross in from the right on Saturday which Hooper almost scored from....

I agree Gower is better on the left where he scores a lot of goals from.

I like JCR but Ive been impressed by Black and if the stories regarding JCR wanting out are true then Black should play on the right.

Back