• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimpers Trust News Shrimpers Trust Board Zoom Meeting With Stan Collymore

Would it be 'dangerous' for Ron to appoint Stan. Appointing someone far more popular than himself doesn't seem like his style - will Ron want the limelight/plaudits for any success, Stan may get in the way of that.
Now PB has signed, would he want to share the glory with Stan as well?

As always, a big thanks to Stan for his passion and time already spent. However this time I thought I would break down each point and find the positives and negatives if there were any, just like I do in my day to day job, to secure any deal.....

I broke the interview points raised into five categories relating to what Stan is bringing to the club:

Negatives
Background
Commitment
The Project
Strategy

Negatives

• Location - Overcome by Stan's update on this.
  • Not being able to work with PB if appointed. Well Stan has been visible and vocal so PB would have been aware of what he wants to bring. Ron certainly would, so hopefully this has been discussed and included in the negotiations with PB.
  • Not being able to strike a deal if Ron appoints the older CEO. If the above applies to PB's negotiations, surely RM would include it in these too.
  • Why would you want to stop in the Championship, if the example you gave of Romanian Gheorghe Hagi's team beating Steau Bucharest to win the Romanian league, why would you not want to see if we could make the top table, if we made the Championship with your involvement ?

Background

• Stan obviously has a genuine passion and understanding of the club. Seventeen years on Shrimperzone. An individual either has this or doesn't. And if you don't you cannot fake it. Imagine Stan presenting on behalf of SUFC and then any other marketing professional you have come across, doing the same presentation. You can be professional, but a real passion and feeling is a major asset and not something that can be replicated Also as Stan said, there is no financial dependency on what Stan has to offer, it is a genuine willingness to help. I would suggest this is a bigger asset that a rich Arab or Russian oligarch coming on board, with no knowledge of English football, just ask Orient fans or Stan's example, Forest. Stan's presence would be richer in so many ways.
  • Huge positive with Stan's background in football, but more so the attitude and achievements he outlined in taking the step into a career in sports journalism. Hard work leads to understanding and progress., Stan has that in abundance.
  • Stan's access to the the released list gives him and by default us such a head start compared to previous season's and presumably our rivals.
  • The contacts Stan has access to and the fact he said he had already talked to some players, another huge asset Stan brings to the table
  • The profile Stan has and the example he gave in Wayne Rooney's early career and the influence that Kenny Dalgleish could exert. To have that at SUFC would be a huge boost to our youth recruitment.
  • Stan's knowledge and feelings for the fanbase. The feeling for Stan while he was here and the goodwill expressed upon his England debut that he mentioned The feeling he had after the Luton match. I know there are some that didn't see Stan play, I was lucky enough to, I sent a letter, both for his England debut and his future career at Forest, remember the Echo campaign for that? Also I was pleased to have shaken Stan's hand as he walked through the Far Post after the match and on his way to bigger things. But if you are a younger fan that didn't experience that, you hold the same baton of passion for this club that is no lesser or no greater than has gone before or will follow and in some ways Stan is a physical example of this, through why he is trying to do what he is trying to do. Fans are important, just ask stan!
Commitment

• The extra scouting Stan would be willing to do. Surely a major asset and what club would not want that from someone with Stan's experience. If he unearths a player, RD would and should have the final say, but it's a player RD might not have had the opportunity to assess.
  • Stan's personal touch, first 50 season tickets to be presented, school presentations, marketing presentations. How many other lower league, let alone non league clubs would have access to an ex-player with that sort of commitment?

Project

• Stan commented positively that he seemingly got on very well with Ron. This is a necessity, and the only reason I say seemingly is we do not have access to Ron's feelings, but Stan was very positive.
  • Stan's preferred CEO having more to offer than a "stereotypical" CEO (my word not Stan's). A "cherry on the top" offer that again would we have this option to discuss as a club with Stan's involvement, probably not.
  • The preferred CEO already prepared to work 60 days straight should he be appointed. We need desire, passion and example at all levels now more than ever, this would set that example that hopefully could ripple through the club.
  • A realisation of how big this task is. An insight into how we are viewed by other clubs, but in having that knowing what is needed to overcome this.
  • The desire to be anything but a ceremonial personality rolled out to front the cameras maybe, but with no purpose. There is so much Stan can do, as listed here, why would we not want this exclusive talent on board.
Strategy

• Great point he made on the structure, role and attributes his preferred CEO candidate would bring to the club. Also some points that could not be aired at the moment.
  • The fact that Stan, with whatever title the prospective role is called, could set in stone a process of continuity and club culture that could be enduring. Thus giving a foundation for the employment of any future managers, so that the club is on a steadier footing moving forward.
  • The time already invested in getting an understanding of where we are and what needs doing and could be achieved.
  • The belief in RM to have the funding to achieve this, then if the building blocks are correctly placed RM's investments could actually start working for us, instead of seemingly against the football side of the business.
So that's where I got to, the positives hugely outweigh the negatives. If Ron is not a quitter and is going to drive the project forward and is admitting he needs help, then as a part of that why not involve Stan. I will freely admit I was of this opinion before I started this assessment of the last meeting, but this just spelt out for me what a huge offer this is from Stan, so before your meeting on Thursday Ron, please come to the same conclusion, make it happen as this is an advantage we have never had as a club before .

As always Stan, thanks for all you are doing. ?

Last edited:
If Stan gets appointed what about getting the Shrimpers Trust Retro Shirts range extended to include the Elonex one? I know a few of us still have the original but many don't and it would be a great way to welcome him back if there were a decent number of us all wearing them at the first game of the season.

Maybe could also add the Wembley 2015 shirt to the Retro range so Phil gets a warm fuzzy feeling too

Just then need a shirt idea for Ron and the new CEO - any ideas?

SUEPA models sorted - all four of them could have a (soon to be legal) cuddle on the pitch wearing them.

But maybe I'm getting a little ahead of myself at the moment ............. :Smile2:

A really promising prospect here, particularly liked the idea of giving the North Bank back to the home fans.

Think I have just wet myself.

Take me back home to our North Bank, and let Roots Hall ROAR once again, I mean really ROAR.

On a good day we are the 13th man.

Come on SUFC, EXCITING TIMES ARE COMING BACK.

If Stan gets appointed what about getting the Shrimpers Trust Retro Shirts range extended to include the Elonex one? I know a few of us still have the original but many don't and it would be a great way to welcome him back if there were a decent number of us all wearing them at the first game of the season.

Maybe could also add the Wembley 2015 shirt to the Retro range so Phil gets a warm fuzzy feeling too

SUEPA models sorted - all four of them could have a (soon to be legal) cuddle on the pitch wearing them.

But maybe I'm getting a little ahead of myself at the moment ............. :Smile2:

Considering I had to be talked down from parting with £160 for one on eBay recently........yes. Yes please.

I thought stan made it quite clear that he's not angling for a job and is quite happy and settled doing what he does?

Was thinking something similar although I had a thought that if Hummel are still making our kits next season they could potentially look at that kit as a template much like what they did with our away shirt this season…

Think I have just wet myself.

Take me back home to our North Bank, and let Roots Hall ROAR once again, I mean really ROAR.

On a good day we are the 13th man.

Come on SUFC, EXCITING TIMES ARE COMING BACK.

Yep. It can only be a huge positive next season if allowed. It may not be the North Bank of old and may not be everyone's cup of tea, now its all-seater. But we all must see the benefits for the team and atmosphere this could bring. Even with a few hundred of us in there, rather than 20 and a dog from Solihull Moors it will bring huge benefits. Christ a lot of the NL stadiums don't even have segregation, it is doable if the club can be arsed.

Cant we just rip out the seats in the NB and use it as terracing?

You have hit on a plan there NZamba, let's arrange a "friendly" against Millwall and Stan can run across the pitch in front of them giving them 2 fingers behind his back like he did in the FA Cup replay when they were in the South Paddock.

Job done ..... simples.

Earlier this evening members of the Shrimpers Trust Board had a Zoom Meeting with Stan Collymore.

I personally can't thank you enough Stan, you have given me hope and some kind of pride again in my football club ?

That would be my preferred option. But probably not cost effective and against the rules. @Sherif H maybe able to provide some insight on that.

If we can we should. Would be the cheapest option if it drives a promotion from the NL. Even if seats have to stay then our fans can just stand. Away fans in the South with access via Roots Hall Ave should have happened years ago for policing reasons as well as our own.

The North Bank at the moment is an advantage to the away team. If you sitting in the East the away fans drown out the Blue Voice. RH has become an easy touch and that has to stop. Its the thing us fans can have out biggest influence on.

Would it be 'dangerous' for Ron to appoint Stan. Appointing someone far more popular than himself doesn't seem like his style - will Ron want the limelight/plaudits for any success, Stan may get in the way of that.

I think the Chairman could be more relaxed about having Stan on board than PB is but I could be completely wrong.

Back