• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TrueBlue

SJP Taxi & Private Hire ⭐️
This is not a trust bashing thread by any means because the work done that many of you don't see is nothing short of superb, however with rumours being spouted that Sainsburys may be pulling out and absolute silence from the club should the Trust not be taking a lead when conversing with the club? asking the probing questions? and detailing (what's not businesses sensitive) rather then when I look at liaison upon liaison meeting minutes where is shows a lack of contempt from the club and just another 'no new development'! Personally I don't think that's enough of an answer and not even enough of a question.

Ron Martin should be up before the fans to explain where we are in all of this, I have said this time and time again IF we are in this much trouble any club would need its fans to come together to fight our way out of this but we can't do much without so much as a word from RM

REAL danger of sleepwalking into oblivion here a real danger!

This is not a trust bashing thread by any means because the work done that many of you don't see is nothing short of superb, however with rumours being spouted that Sainsburys may be pulling out and absolute silence from the club should the Trust not be taking a lead when conversing with the club? asking the probing questions? and detailing (what's not businesses sensitive) rather then when I look at liaison upon liaison meeting minutes where is shows a lack of contempt from the club and just another 'no new development'! Personally I don't think that's enough of an answer and not even enough of a question.

Ron Martin should be up before the fans to explain where we are in all of this, I have said this time and time again IF we are in this much trouble any club would need its fans to come together to fight our way out of this but we can't do much without so much as a word from RM

REAL danger of sleepwalking into oblivion here a real danger!

firstly I like to say I am a fan of the trust and have recently become a life member.

If the rumors are true and they have come from very strong sources.

I would say there is a pro and a con to this.

Pro: we would be 100% debt free therefore we would look a lot more attractive to a big time player with a real business plan. Even with Ron we would be much better off as a club.

Con : We could find ourselves homeless and wasting money on rent (again) or ground sharing which isn’t very attractive to new players or buyers.

I feel the trust should of stepped in a long long time ago and put some serious “FAN” pressure on Ron to supply the answers to some serious questions.
The problem for me is it’s like Ron is control of the trust/fans after this magical bored seat was talked about. Ron should fear the trust/fans not the other way round.
The trust in my eyes are the only route to Ron and it’s like the doors have been shut.
We should be planning for the future of the club etc

Again though it doesn’t sound like it but I do support the trust and I’m not slagging off anyone it’s just my thoughts. Sorry if it looks and sound as I have thrown this together but writing really isn’t my strong point.

If what rumours are true?

As Ive said before the current situation is Sainsbury are reviewing all of their store policies, hence everything has ground to a halt, they have not pulled out of Fossetts Farm.

If the Trust ask questions that is what they will get told.

Ron charges a consultancy fee and if he now insists on annual rent being paid he is on a cool 400k per year for doing nothing.

He ain't giving that up for nobody.

Ron charges a consultancy fee and if he now insists on annual rent being paid he is on a cool 400k per year for doing nothing.

He ain't giving that up for nobody.

Charging rent doesnt mean it gets paid. No money went anywhere.

If what rumours are true?

As Ive said before the current situation is Sainsbury are reviewing all of their store policies, hence everything has ground to a halt, they have not pulled out of Fossetts Farm.

If the Trust ask questions that is what they will get told.

That Sainsbury have finally bolted and A.N. Other retailer/backer is being sought on the quiet, to save the whole thing collapsing.

Where is the AGM?

People can ask these questions there. Or more likely it will be "why is the home shirt more white than blue"...

Alternatively ask Mr Kavanagh at the "Supporters Forum" on 22nd September. I am sure he will have all the answers...

:facepalm:

That Sainsbury have finally bolted and A.N. Other retailer/backer is being sought on the quiet, to save the whole thing collapsing.

Well the last I heard was that Sainsbury have not pulled out and we are waiting for the result of the review. You know the source though, I wouldnt stake my house on it.

Lets think about it logically though.

If that scenario was correct and Sainbury have bolted why keep it quiet to save it collapsing, because it would already have collapsed. Doesn't make sense to me.

If they have pulled out I see no reason for secrecy, if anything publicity would be needed.

Has this rumour actually come from somewhere or is it just being made up based on inactivity?

I would imagine that there are bounds of confidentiality which would prevent any answers being given. The question is what would the Trust do with the answers if they got them?

Anyhow, if Sainsbury's pull out, I'm sure Tesco/Asda/Morrisons/Lidl/Aldi/John Lewis or AN Other Big Store Retailer will step in and I'm equally sure RM is actively looking at plan B.

The Trust is what you make of it. If you want the Trust to improve then speak with people and other fans, put yourself forward for the committee or offer to do things. I think it can be quite easy to moan about the Trust but from my experience if you speak to Paul you often get a quick and considered reply. I'd suggest that they could do more to promote how people can get involved and how people can contribute ideas... if you don't know the committee members then it does feel a bit like a closed group (that's my take on it anyway). For instance, it's impossible (after 2 mins trying!) to find a list of the committee members, if you google 'shrimpers trust committee members' then the list that comes up is obviously out of date.

Also, I think the current Trust and Committee could do a lot more to emphasise that they have the financial security and future FF plans as central to the role that the Trust plays. When the Trust contributes time and effort and donates large sums of fans money to the club (youth team, pre-season trips, junior shrimpers) I think it's fair to expect information and opportunities in return (Q&As, info from Ron, place on the board etc). In particular, there is no info on the fighting fund (if there is one) and how and when that might be used.

What we also need to remember is that the desire of fans and the Trust is the same - ensuring we have Southend United in existence and for the club to maximise its potential. I'd guess that those ambitions are exactly the same for Ron - who I don't see as some parasite or leech on the club as some may do, but instead is a hard up businessman trying to negotiate a complex property development and who probably has a larger than average ego. The new stadium is much more likely (although not certain) to ensure our future and allow us to grow, and so we have to be behind it, and focus on that.

Because we as fans want to make sure the club is safe and we continue try and push up the league, we want full information about what's going on at the club at all time. That's perfectly natural and sensible. However, that's not always possible when we're in the situation we are in, and when cash flow is very tight and Sainsburys are re-considering their new store policy. We're going to rightly be in the dark a little as these things get sorted out. They're complex and sensitive and fan input or pressure is probably going to hinder rather than help. Remember that the motto of the Trust is 'to help not hinder' and I think that's worth bearing in mind as a fan too.

Finally, some fans (more than others) may hear whispers or rumours about things - if that's the case then I'd suggest raising that with the Trust. They might be able to confirm or deny things, but also they should be aware of these rumours so that they can discuss any action, and they also have an established link to the club.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it's the right way to go about things, but how about another protest after a game? At the last protest Ron came out and agreed to a meeting with the Fans @ The Park Inn Hotel.

Well the last I heard was that Sainsbury have not pulled out and we are waiting for the result of the review. You know the source though, I wouldnt stake my house on it.

Lets think about it logically though.

If that scenario was correct and Sainbury have bolted why keep it quiet to save it collapsing, because it would already have collapsed.

If they have pulled out I see no reason for secrecy, if anything publicity would be needed.

Has this rumour actually come from somewhere or is it just being made up based on inactivity?

Logically....perhaps to save panic/anger amongst the fan base and to give time to find another funding source for the development. So Ron can produce a classic "**** sarnie"

Logically....perhaps to save panic/anger amongst the fan base and to give time to find another funding source for the development. So Ron can produce a classic "**** sarnie"

Thats not really logical though as not sure what anger there would be, Sainsbury deciding not to build the stadium lets Ron totally off the hook if anything and easy to just blame them for the whole 6 years.

Is the simplest explanation already given that we are still waiting for the review not the most likely?

Back