• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Six Weeks to go

DTS

The Business
I must say I am starting to get a bit concerned about a lack of movement. It is six weeks to go till the season kicks off and we have a vastly depleted squad.

I can only assume the fact its the World Cup and a lot of players/agents etc are on holiday explains the slow movement so far.

Last season we waited till late and did well but we had the bulk of the same squad as the season before. This year we do seem thin on the ground.

I have 100% confidence in Tilly to bring in the player but I think I will sleep a little easier at DtS Towers each night if we had a few more new players.
oops.gif

I think we've got a good backbone in place and are pretty well covered in most areas. I am concerned about our lack of strikers though - I hope a decent partner for Freddy is Tilly's priority.

I dont think we are good enough yet to gain a foot hold in this league we need lots more depth in the team, Tilly did say we should sign sombody BEFORE the squad go away to da island in de sun!

DtS - Stop panicking. It's all in hand. I think Tilly and Brush know what they're doing.

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (South Bank Hank @ June 23 2006,10:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ June 23 2006,10:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (hexagon_sun @ June 23 2006,10:14)]got a good backbone in place and pretty well covered in most areas..
Sounds like the Hunchback of Notre Dame.
He was pretty good for Southampton.

images
laugh.gif
quality!

My concern would be that we might have players lined up but there are many clubs out there (even in lower divisions) offering far more cash than we do to these players, its only actually 3 weeks until we start playing friendlys so you would think we would like to get the players in soon-ish especially as we are going off to Bermuda soon. I know I shouldnt panic and am pleased with the couple of signings so far but would like at least a striker on board soon let alone the other 7 players he is after!

With only 1 forward, we can't help but worry...

In a season where we'll need to be at the top of our game to survive, currently having less players than we did last season is extremely worrying. Even more worrying is the predicted Influx pf players Tilson suggested hasn't happened, suggesting there may be problems in the discussions... More than likely the same old problem of Wages.

I'm with DtS, whilst i share no problems with Tilson & co's management, i'll sleep a lot easier knowing we have cover in the right places.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (South Bank Hank @ June 23 2006,10:17)]Tilly was recently spotted by a Zoner with a tall slim bloke
Behave yourself he is a married man!
laugh.gif

I might be a bit concerned if this was the first week of August and we were in the same position, but not with the new season still 6 weeks away.

Furthermore if you look at the transfer activity of the other clubs in our division you will find many clubs who have not made one signing as yet.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ June 23 2006,10:43)]Furthermore if you look at the transfer activity of the other clubs in our division you will find many clubs who have not made one signing as yet.
yeah just had a look and agree quite a few havent signed any (including Barnsley) but spose some sides are upto standard anyway so dont need to. Think our worry is that we have lost 7 players but only got 2 in ......so far

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stickyboy @ June 23 2006,10:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ June 23 2006,10:43)]Furthermore if you look at the transfer activity of the other clubs in our division you will find many clubs who have not made one signing as yet.
yeah just had a look and agree quite a few havent signed any (including Barnsley) but spose some sides are upto standard anyway so dont need to. Think our worry is that we have lost 7 players but only got 2 in ......so far
... for the umpteenth time, the players we have "lost" are not good enough for the Championship.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mick @ June 23 2006,10:53)]
[b said:
[b said:
... for the umpteenth time, the players we have "lost" are not good enough for the Championship.
EXACTLY!

We haven't LOST any players.
We have RELEASED quite a few though!

Is it me, or is this particular debate destined to become the new "Darryl v Bart"?
Perhaps we should have a poll?

[b said:
[b said:
It largely depends on what is meant by up to standard, neither Derby or QPR have signed anyone as yet and both finished in the bottom six last season. On that basis and with their current squads will surely make them relegation candidates.

I don't see the point in making signings for the sake of it, and I am sure that this is also the philosophy of Tilly and Brush. The two arrivals so far add depth and strength to the squad. Ok i realise it won't take too many to add depth to the squad however.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mick @ June 23 2006,10:53)].. for the umpteenth time, the players we have "lost" are not good enough for the Championship.
yeah of course but the point was we still need to replace the lost bodies. Not having a moan just would like some new faces sooner rather than later

I agree with your thought process but the thing I'm sure most of us can agree on is that the signings so far have been quality! Tilly's way will always be to take his time, refusing to sign players quickly if they aren't right for this club. I'm sure everyone concerned wants players on board sooner rather than later, but I'll take later rather than sooner if it means a better breed of player.

BTW, I'll also say the same thing next week and the week after when we all have the same debate again. If we are two weeks into the season and still short of players, I reserve the right to change my mind and call for the tea-lady to be promoted to manager.

tounge.gif

Back