• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sky Sports League One Goal of the Season - Charlie Kelman nominated

Pointless exercise, a Sunderland player will win because they have 3-4 times more fans voting than anyone else !!!!!!

FWIW I think Eaves goal was easily the best followed by Charlie's.

Both used their brain to score, the others were not quite hit and hope but you get the point.

So you voted for one you didn't think was the best?

What is the f***ing point?

(Don't you just love social media?)

As many others have. Yes.

Hope you're joking otherwise you take the goal of the season vote a little too seriously.

Pointless exercise, a Sunderland player will win because they have 3-4 times more fans voting than anyone else !!!!!!

FWIW I think Eaves goal was easily the best followed by Charlie's.

Both used their brain to score, the others were not quite hit and hope but you get the point.

Exactly this. It's why Lyle-Taylor's goal is 2nd despite it not even being worthy of the list (imo). I'd imagine many of this forum have voted for Southend's but it's not a fantastic goal despite it being great initiative from the young lad. It should be players/managers who vote but they shouldn't be allowed to vote for their own team.

Last edited:
People will vote for their team regardless of the quality of the goal. Kelman's wasn't the best but I still voted as did (probably) every Shrimper.

I voted for Crawfords. Not out of choice, my phone froze and I accidently clicked his name. **** happens

There is ONLY ONE goal of the season and that was scored by Humphrys against Sunderland

People will vote for their team regardless of the quality of the goal. Kelman's wasn't the best but I still voted as did (probably) every Shrimper.

IMO Kelman's wasn't even our best goal of the season. I would give that to Cox's away at Bradford. First time curler from the edge of the area with the outside of his foot. I would argue that is far harder.

Very true LB. Kelman's gets the plaudits as it was remarkable but just plain flukey.

Very true LB. Kelman's gets the plaudits as it was remarkable but just plain flukey.

Kelman's was spectacular and audacious. I also don't buy the line that the 'keeper was at fault. (The only thing he did wrong was be too far out of his goal at the start.) The ball curled away from him. It was brilliant. However, there's an element of luck involved. I doubt Charlie actually tried to curl the ball away from the 'keeper, it just happened that way. Nearly every footballer in League 1 can hit the goal from the half way line. Then it becomes a question of whether or not the 'keeper will get to it.

However, most players wouldn't have a hope in hell of replicating Cox's goal.

You'll also notice that, once again, Sky have pandered to the lowest common denominator: all of the goals are "spectacular" individual goals. When will they see the beauty/brilliance of a good team goal, like Cox's 3rd against Portsmouth?

Other players have the advantage over Charlie Kelman because their fans will vote regardless. Where as some of our fans cant even recognise a great goal when they see it with their own eyes.

Some of our fans have been honest enough to openly admit they voted for goals they considered better than their own. They should be commended for this not chastised.

Surely that’s what we should all expect from everyone from all clubs?

For pure extreme technical ability alone Charlie’s is well down the list.

Some of our fans have been honest enough to openly admit they voted for goals they considered better than their own. They should be commended for this not chastised.

Sure. But for a kid barely out of nappies, I applaud his vision, and technique, not to mention the timing and his lack of celebration and wanting to get the equaliser.

I can't believe we're actually saying we wouldnt vote for him.

You never know they might cover how to shape or 'draw' a shot on your next course......Charlie understands it already which is why he was able to do what many professional footballers still couldn't do with on a training ground with no keeper to beat.

You never know they might cover how to shape or 'draw' a shot on your next course......Charlie understands it already which is why he was able to do what many professional footballers still couldn't do with on a training ground with no keeper to beat.

????

That’s an incredible statement and actually quite an accusation.

Have you played? Have you done a coaching course?

Let me tell you...one thing is for certain....you don’t shape or “draw” a shot when striking it from inside your own half. It’s a ludicrous suggestion. To keep it simple for you....You strike it as hard as you can and aim at the goal.

It takes some doing but the most remarkable thing about Charlie’s strike was the occasion and the fact he had the audacity to try it so soon into his debut and for that he should take immeasurable credit.

For a pro footballer reaching the goal from the halfway line is simple. Doing it without bouncing takes some effort and most will miss as many as they score. With a keeper in goal is clearly harder and in a game is harder again....and there is a huge element of luck involved regardless.

Unless I’m being completely stupid and by next course you mean next time I’m “on the course” and have a golf club in my hand, the suggestion Charlie deliberately tried to draw the ball is so funny my sides hurt.

The difficulty factor of scoring from there is obvious and even you recognize that, which means that to do anything other than hope to hit target is far fetched and to suggest an attempt to “curl” it into the net is just funny.

Let’s please leave it there....it’s a great strike. It’s incredible that he did it on his debut and unbelievable that a kid had the audacity to try it and it’s brilliant that he executed it and raised the roof and people’s spirits on a poor day allround.

But it’s not even the best Southend goal this season let alone anything else.

????

That’s an incredible statement and actually quite an accusation.

Have you played? Have you done a coaching course?

Let me tell you...one thing is for certain....you don’t shape or “draw” a shot when striking it from inside your own half. It’s a ludicrous suggestion. To keep it simple for you....You strike it as hard as you can and aim at the goal.

It takes some doing but the most remarkable thing about Charlie’s strike was the occasion and the fact he had the audacity to try it so soon into his debut and for that he should take immeasurable credit.

For a pro footballer reaching the goal from the halfway line is simple. Doing it without bouncing takes some effort and most will miss as many as they score. With a keeper in goal is clearly harder and in a game is harder again....and there is a huge element of luck involved regardless.

Unless I’m being completely stupid and by next course you mean next time I’m “on the course” and have a golf club in my hand, the suggestion Charlie deliberately tried to draw the ball is so funny my sides hurt.

The difficulty factor of scoring from there is obvious and even you recognize that, which means that to do anything other than hope to hit target is far fetched and to suggest an attempt to “curl” it into the net is just funny.

Let’s please leave it there....it’s a great strike. It’s incredible that he did it on his debut and unbelievable that a kid had the audacity to try it and it’s brilliant that he executed it and raised the roof and people’s spirits on a poor day allround.

But it’s not even the best Southend goal this season let alone anything else.

Yes lets not argue on here. If you ever want to pop over the training ground I'll be more than happy to teach you how to draw a ball from distance.

Yes lets not argue on here. If you ever want to pop over the training ground I'll be more than happy to teach you how to draw a ball from distance.

I’ll take you up on that. Shall I bring my 6 iron or my Woods?

Or maybe just ask Charlie himself on whether curling the ball was a pre shot thought or whether he just struck it as best he could and that naturally means it curling from right to left ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

Just as some evidence that reaching the goal for these players is not actually a problem whatsoever...of 9 attempts to hit the crossbar all 9 reached the goal with 6 hitting the target of which 5 hit the net without a bounce....Taylor Moore managed it on his second go despite falling over!

In fact the closest resemblance to Charlie’s was by CP who is 50 years old and was wearing a coat!!

Bare in mind they are aiming at the crossbar not just hitting target....the suggestion pro footballers would struggle to do this even in training is laughable with only some of them missing target some of the time.

Also you see that the better (cleaner) strikes are lower trajectory and move faster (a ping!) as opposed to the higher more punt like strikes which curl a little due to the height and angle of the run ups which make it a natural shot shape.

See you at B&L later Rigsby!

Taking a goal kick from the half way line is very impressive.

Now go back 10 yds get the players to turn with one touch and with 3 defenders closing them down make them shoot without looking up......Then see how many hit the target.

Back