• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't think it possible for Cashley to go down any further in my estimations... I already thought him a despicable little sh*t with no morals. This morning, I don't think there's anybody in the world more deserving of a public castration with a set of rusty pliers.

His challenge was disgraceful. Martin Taylor with added Malice and purpose... He knew exactly what he intended to do when he flew into Alan Hutton who was extremely lucky not to be seriously injured. What made it even worse was his childlike sulking and blatant disrespect. It's for people like him that the rulebook need to be thrown out for, and if the FA had any sense they would enforce a ban despite him recieving a yellow card.

As well as that, Avram Grant played dumb for 10 minutes when Martin Tyler (?) questioned him about the incident after the game. A better man would've held his hands up and said "Disgraceful challenge, dont know what he was playing at, I'll be having a word". Grant's reply? "I haven't seen it" and when Tyler pressed on with how he must've seem Cole's blatant disrespect for officials? Incoherent mumbles.

Hollow eyed and gaunt, Avram Grant sank into his seat and surveyed the hostile pack of journalists in front of him.

“Avram, Did your substitutions cost you the game?”

“Avram, that’s three goals from three set pieces, what’s going on at the back?”

“Avram, why can’t you get a result against any of the big teams?”

When Grant is sad he looks like one of those Russian dancing bears that you see on adverts protesting against animal cruelty. He’s been poked with sharp sticks and forced to dance for a living, but with your kindness and just a small donation every month we can liberate him.

“We are still…in the title race,” he mumbled, “and….we…will,” his voice became a sad whimper, “continue to fight.” Inspirational stuff.

It was a sad display. Grant looked beaten, the press seemed almost embarrassed to go to town on him in the way that they did after Wembley, and then Chelsea’s press officer lost his temper and began attempting to throw his weight around.

There are still things to like about Chelsea, but when one journalist described them to me as, “the most objectionable club in England,” it was difficult to find a counter-argument. The club’s powerbrokers continue to insist that they can build a ‘global brand’, but when the brand is repeatedly tarnished by the men in the blue shirts, you wonder if it’s actually possible. There is a romantic, enigmatic glow about Liverpool that enraptures people around the world, while the words ‘Manchester United’ always conjure up visions of cavalier football and valiant young men. Arsenal are making their name as a home of flamboyant young talent where the emphasis is always on style and even Tottenham have a kind of doomed charm about them that travels well. On Wednesday night, Chelsea produced a montage of all the reasons that the world will never fall in love with them.

Didier Drogba was a disgrace to himself and his profession, continually writhing on the ground and pretending to be injured. He kept going down in the furthest corners of the pitch and forcing the poor Chelsea physio to run over from the dug-out, pour water over his non-existent knock and then, with the game in progress, run all the way around the perimeter of the pitch to get back. And then Drogba would go down again.

Diving was rife, though in the interests of objectivity I should point out that Tom Huddlestone crashed to the ground in the penalty area and rightly earned himself a booking. Salomon Kalou did the same thing in front of the Tottenham fans moments earlier, but went unpunished.

The nadir came just before half-time when Ashley Cole tried to show Martin Taylor what a real tackle looked like. If the timing had been slightly different, the stewards would have had to stop the game to look for the bottom half of Alan Hutton’s leg, it really was that bad. Chelsea, being Chelsea, argued against it. They surrounded the ref, shouted their protestations and Riley cracked like an egg. Even when he produced the yellow card, Cole still tried to get himself sent off, appearing to bark, “Just take my number,” at Riley and refusing to face him. The embattled referee twice appeared to tell him to turn around, before finally blasting his whistle in an effort to win some respect. Both parties should be ashamed of themselves, but somehow I doubt that they are.

Grant’s substitutions showed why he is an unworthy successor to Jose Mourinho. It’s one thing to replace attackers with defenders, but it’s another to do it to the point where you strip your side of creativity and hand the initiative to your opponents. The back five looked confused and there was no width for them aim their clearances at. This was poor management indeed.

In a way, Grant was lucky. Dimitar Berbatov could have converted his injury time chance and you could be reading about a thrilling 5-4 victory instead. It wouldn‘t have been undeserved either. If I was Frank Rijkaard or Michael Laudrup this week, I’d be standing by the phone getting ready to hear the dulcet tones of Peter Kenyon. Grant is a dead man walking.

Thanks for the read. Just what on Earth is Avram Grant doing at Chelsea? What are the high points on his CV? Its an increasing problem with the foreign ownership that they go for these foreign managers / friends and no English managers are coming through. Is Avram's creditientials in the game any higher than a majority of Championship managers (not the computer game!).

I just cant see him installing any confidence, faith or belief in the players other than fear from the Chairman.

Oh and I wouldnt feel too sorry for him, Im sure he is well paid and has been lucky to land a dream job he doesnt deserve.

the tackle, his behaviour on the pitch, and his subsequent "apology" are all disgusting. his reaction after the tackle showed that he definitely wasn't in control when he made it. I really don't like Ashley Cole and for the whole of this season I haven't seen anything to suggest he is worthy of wearing an England shirt. He has fallen a long way since widely being regarded as one of the best left-backs around. the problem for england is that i still don't think i can ever forget wayne bridge after that croatia game. lescott hasn't looked good for enland... and i'm not sure shorey is international class. once baines starts playing week in week out he will get a chance im sure, but from once looking so assured in the left-back position, it's now a bit of a weak spot

The Grand Slam

The tension that has been slowly building all week is now approaching critical mass. The clock is ticking down to Grand Slam Sunday and the mind games have begun in earnest. This is what football is all about and I love it. Mind you, I don’t support one of the big four, so I can settle back and enjoy myself as the drama unfolds. Heaven only knows what some of you lot are going through right now! One of the many benefits to being a Southend fan is that, when you lose a vital game, no-one really notices. Being a big four fan must be a strangely vulnerable existence, knowing that the entire planet is ready to point and laugh if it all goes wrong.

People were queuing up to point and laugh at Liverpool earlier this season, but Rafa Benitez’s astonishing run of recent form has certainly silenced the giggles. Seven straight wins have put the old club in the last eight of the Champions League and an interesting position in the Premier League. I always say that, if the amount of points needed is less than the amount of games left, you have a chance. Right now, Liverpool are 11 points off the pace with eight games to go. If they overturn Manchester United at Old Trafford, it will be eight points with seven games and that will make it interesting. Of course, that’s an ’if’ so big that Peter Crouch would have to ask it to get groceries off the top shelf, but football can be a very strange game.

Chelsea are under-fire from all angles this week. Their players’ appalling treatment of referees, even ones as universally disliked as Mike Riley, has created a swelling tide of resentment against them in the UK. There isn’t a neutral fan in the land who wants to see them lift their third trophy in four years, but that could have unexpected benefits. Sir Alex Ferguson used to deliberately foster the ‘them and us’ mentality in order to bring his players together. It seems hard to believe in an era where critics will fall over each other to praise the Red Devils, but it wasn’t so long ago that they were the team that everybody loved to hate. If Avram Grant can channel the hatred correctly, Chelsea could still surprise everyone, but that again is an ‘if’ so big that it comes with its own gravitational field.

People have been very quick to write Arsenal off, which is a silly mistake that we’ve have been failing to learn from for years. Granted, they’ve allowed their grief over the loss of Eduardo to reach Princess Diana-like proportions and it’s taken the edge off their form, but this is still a side that went to the San Siro and outclassed AC Milan. They still have Mathieu Flamini and Cesc Fabregas running the midfield and, in Bacary Sagna and Gael Clichy, they have the finest full-backs in the division. Four draws in four games is not title winning form, but the race isn’t over yet and everyone has to experience a speed wobble at some point. I don’t think it’s over by a long shot, though defeat at Stamford Bridge would be an almighty kick in the crotch for them.

Which brings us to Manchester United, the team with all the momentum. Sir Alex is drawing on all of his old tricks and using every ounce of the experience that has brought him so much silverware over the years. He cleverly rested most of his key players in midweek and he’s been repeating his ‘Cristiano Ronaldo is Bambi’ mantra for the past fortnight. Desperate pleas for protection for football’s most vulnerable star have been ringing out across Manchester for some time now. Ronaldo, it should be noted, is over six foot tall and built like the HMS Ark Royal. He really should be able to look after himself, shouldn’t he?

It certainly looks like it’s United’s title to lose, but that’s what Liverpool are there for. The Merseysiders have put United’s fireworks out on numerous occasions in the past, notably in 1992 when even Graeme Souness’ side was good enough to wreck their Championship hopes. They have everything to play for and I think that there’s a chance that they could stun their hosts, though I suspect that a draw is most likely.

No-one has beaten Chelsea at their home for over four years, but someone has to do it eventually. Besides which, do you know the identity of the last side to take three points away from Stamford Bridge? Yep, it was Arsenal. And I think they’ll do it again.

I’ll be at Stamford Bridge for the big game so, for full coverage, be sure to pick up the Sports Edition of The New Paper on Monday, out at noon.

Klass-Jan Huntelaar

While England’s footballers sulk in their sun-loungers, the rest of the continent will be contesting the 2008 European Championships. Iain Macintosh, who still won’t allow the word ‘McClaren’ to be uttered in his home, runs the rule over some of the potential stars of the summer. This week, it’s the turn of Ajax and Holland striker, Klass-Jan Huntelaar

There’s a strange food chain in European football that dictates the movements of the world’s finest players. Brazilians, for example, always seem to end up in Spain or Portugal before they go anywhere else. The African players appear obliged to cut their teeth in French football before they get snapped up by the continental superpowers. Dutch forwards, however, are always destined for the Premier League. Ruud van Nistelrooy, Arjen Robben, Robin van Persie; if they impress in the Eredivisie, they’ll wind up in the EPL and the latest star to rumble towards the end of the assembly line is tall, skinny striker Klass-Jan Huntelaar.

The prolific Ajax striker is reportedly being chased by both Manchester United and Chelsea, which is rather advantageous position to be in. Huntelaar, though, has certainly done enough to warrant the attention. After arriving in Amsterdam during the winter break of 2005/06, he started scoring goals at a phenomenal rate. When Marco van Basten gave him an international chance against Ireland he took it with both hands and wouldn’t give it back, scoring two and making another two against Ireland. In short, he’s one to watch.

It looked as though PSV Eindhoven had the Eredivisie sewn up some time ago, but the conquerors of Tottenham Hotspur have wobbled recently and Ajax had cut the gap at the top of the table to four points. Their visit to Eindhoven for this match was as crucial as they come. An Ajax win would close the gap to a single point. A PSV victory would extend it to seven. Sadly, the build-up was as exciting as the game got.

The only moment that raised my eyebrows in a dogged, over-cautious first half was the decision to play Huntelaar in a withdrawn second striker role. The Uruguayan poacher Luis Suarez was pushed forward instead and Huntelaar was forced to scrap around in no-mans land in order to find the ball. It seemed a strange deployment to say the least as even a cursory examination of the player reveals what appears to be a classic ‘number 9’. His positioning is exceptional and on the rare occasion he did manage to get a shot away, his technique was first class. He’s not noticeably quick, but he has a spark of acceleration that would serve him better in the six yard box.

Unfortunately, a combination of heavy marking and his manager’s refusal to throw him up further front meant that I didn’t get to see an awful lot of justification for the hype. In fairness to the 24 year old, he never let his head drop and toiled as hard as he could to create something, anything to work with. He had one chance, a snatched header late in the game, but it drifted wide and the game meandered out into a 0-0 draw.

It’s always difficult to judge how an overseas player would fare in the Premier League, doubly so when you’ve only closely studied him once, but I’m not sure that Huntelaar would prosper particularly well. The trouble with the steady flow of forwards from one country is that you can easily recall as many bad ones as you can good. I didn’t see anything to convince me that he could enjoy the success of a Van Nistelrooy or a Van Persie. All I saw was a hard-working, technically proficient striker who was played out of position and marked out of the game. And that’s a Dirk Kuyt in my book.

Avram Grant Part 2

The lone figure on the touchline hunched his shoulders and pulled his long coat closer in the bitterly cold wind. Around him, 40,000 angry supporters howled at him in derision. "You don't know what you're doing!" they roared. "You don't know what you're doing!" The figure remained still, unmoved by the vitriol. Abuse from the masses is standard fare away from home, but this was Avram Grant and these were his own supporters turning on him like a pack of stray dogs. Michael Ballack trudged off the pitch and straight down the tunnel, replaced by Nicolas Anelka, but by now the chanting had become more unpleasant. "Jose Mourinho!" they sang, "Jose Mourinho!" Still Grant showed no emotion. Three minutes later and with the Arsenal defence buckling under a twin-pronged attack, Didier Drogba lashed home the most vital of equalisers and Grant, unburdened and redeemed, let out a wild primal scream. It turns out that he might know what he's doing after all.

Make no mistake; the substitution changed the game. Chelsea opened up a barrage of long balls and Arsenal just couldn't cope. If it wasn't Anelka running onto them, it was Drogba winning headers and knocking them into danger areas. Arsene Wenger said afterwards that the loss of Bacary Sagna to injury, "disturbed the team," but he admitted that the Gunners just weren't good enough at the back. He was absolutely right. William Gallas, savaged by the home crowd with a continuous song so offensive that I can't even begin to suggest its lyrics in this newspaper, had a horrible afternoon. This was an unmitigated disaster for Wenger. With less than 20 minutes left on the clock, he was back in the title race and Chelsea were skidding off the track. Eight minutes later, the situation was cruelly reversed.

Arsenal certainly deserved more from this game. For much of the match they looked like the home team, pushing high up the field, pinging the ball around the pitch and constantly probing the Chelsea defence, looking for a way in. Unfortunately for them, when you're in a bad run of form you rarely get what you deserve. Arsenal have picked up just one victory in their last eight games and when you're battling for a title, form doesn't get much worse than that. Despite all the excitement and promise of the first half of the season, the young Gunners have fallen apart at the worst possible time. They will certainly have to win at Bolton next weekend to keep their flickering flame of ambition alight, but they will also have to avenge their FA Cup drubbing at Old Trafford and sink Liverpool at The Emirates. It's a tall order.

Didier Drogba, who has had a quiet season by his own standards, has timed his renaissance well. After clumsily spurning an early opportunity when put clean through on Manuel Almunia's goal, he toiled away without his usual histrionics and was rewarded when he fired home in the 72nd minute. This was the Drogba that we all admired last season, not the one who has been play-acting his way across the country all year. Hard-working, brave and, when the mood takes him, utterly clinical in the box. If Chelsea are going to chase United for the title, they'll need more of this from the big Ivorian.

The petulant, unloveable side of Chelsea came to the fore once again near the end of the game when goalkeeping coach Christophe Lollichon was sent down the tunnel for behaving like a six year old. The ball bounced out of play into his hands and, instead of returning it to Abou Diaby, he hurled it behind him into the crowd. Classy. Chelsea will win admirers for their resilience and mental strength, but while they continue to do things like this they will never be loved.

Avram Grant's face at the end of the game was a picture of satisfaction . He was written off by the press, including myself, and he was mercilessly abused by his own fans. His team selection cost Chelsea the Carling Cup, his substitutions cost him two points at White Hart Lane and he probably isn't particularly well liked by some of his players. Tonight though, it didn't matter. His tactical manouverings won the day for Chelsea. I still don't think he's the man to take this club forward, but it was difficult not to feel a little warmth in the heart as he bounded into the press conference with a big smile splashed across his jowls. Altogether now - "He does know what he's doing! He does know what he's doing!"

Fabio Capello

David Beckham’s long wait for a century of England caps should finally come to an end in Paris tonight, thus bringing to an end the tedious and never-ending speculation over his future. Beckham has been a fine ambassador for the nation and deserves this great honour, but England must move on and build for the future now. He spoke passionately to journalists about hoping to remain in the reckoning until the next World Cup, but the sad fact is that Beckham plies his trade in a third class football league and there are others, testing themselves at higher levels, who will eventually take his place. It’s sad, but all things must pass. The only benefit of this long-running saga is that it has taken all the attention and pressure away from what is actually a very important test for Fabio Capello.

The new Italian boss will be delighted to see that there was not a single withdrawal from his squad this weekend and, for a friendly international scheduled at this critical time of the season, that’s an unprecedented show of commitment by the players. Both Frank Lampard and Wayne Rooney picked up knocks in their Sunday games, but neither of them wanted to jeopardise their chances of selection by dropping out. This bodes well for the new era. After the anaemic, passionless days of the McClaren regime, most England fans will be happy just to see a bit of commitment and a little effort from those lucky enough to wear the white shirts.

Unfortunately, it’s the fans who are also part of the problem and Capello may be relieved that this game will take place outside of the UK. Wembley regulars aren’t renowned for their wide knowledge of the game and the sound of them angrily booing their team as they patiently kept possession against Switzerland was as inevitable as it was depressing. Capello is attempting to turn around the mentality of a mediocre ‘kick and rush’ outfit and if the home supporters are going to boo him after just 30 minutes of his tenure, it’s probably best if these early experiments are conducted somewhere else.

There are, of course, a number of players who have to prove to the new boss that they have something still to offer. Michael Owen was an unused substitute for Capello’s first game against Switzerland, but a flurry of goals for Newcastle may give him a chance of breaking back into the side. Owen is no stranger to the bench at the Stade d’France. After a disappointing Euro 2000 tournament, he was deployed there by Kevin Keegan. On that Saturday night, France took the lead, Keegan was forced to send Owen on and the little striker saved the day, firing home a superb goal late in the game. Any chance of history repeating itself? Quite possibly. Owen has scored four goals in his last seven games and is beginning to show signs of sharpness.

France will struggle to cope with the loss of Thierry Henry, as well as his natural successor Karim Benzema, but they are still a formidable outfit. The UK press struggle with the concept of a ‘friendly’ game and you can be in no doubt that defeat will be met with an outpouring of gloom and a series of grave columns entitled, “False Dawn of Capello” or “Did We Hire The Wrong Man?” Nevertheless, the door swings both ways and a postive result will send the squad into the summer in buoyant mood. Capello will be glad that everyone is distracted by it, but there is plenty more at stake tonight than the award of a 100th cap.

Arsene Wenger

I've seen quite a lot of Arsene Wenger this season. He might look like a geeky Geography teacher on the television, but in the flesh he's actually quite cool. He's tall and trim, he dresses only in expensive suits and when he sits down for his post-match press conference, it's more like an eagerly awaited keynote speech at a business seminar than an inquisition at the hands of the nefarious UK press. He's cool. Well, he was cool. These days, he has the look of a man who has spent all afternoon building a pyramid of playing cards, but has just heard his wife trilling, "I'll just open this window and get a nice breeze in here, love."

Arsenal's season has crashed off the rails in spectacular fashion and Wenger is not a happy man. I was at The Emirates in mid-February when a 2-0 victory over Blackburn Rovers sent them five points clear at the top and I wrote about the foolishness of some of the people around me, asking Wenger if he thought the title race was over. Incredibly, that was their last win in the Premier League. Since then they've been spanked silly at Old Trafford, frustrated by the division's detritus and mortally wounded by that rarest of things, an Avram Grant tactical masterstroke.

Winning a title is not just about playing good football and scoring goals. It's about nerve. Arsenal won't fail through a lack of talent, they're one of the most skilful teams in the world right now. They'll fail becuase they're not mentally strong enough. I spoke to Viv Anderson recently about the difference between winning the league and winning a cup and he told me that, while a victory at Wembley was all well and good, when you won the title it meant so much more. You knew it was because you'd done it in the sunshine, in the rain, in the snow, in the north and in the south. You won a title because you had influential, experienced men in the team who could help keep you consistent, focused and on track for a league medal. Anderson hould know, as well, he's got two of them.

You look at Arsenal and it's difficult to find those leaders. There's no Jens Lehmann to keep order at the back. No Gilberto to calm things down in the middle. No Thierry Henry to lead from the front. William Gallas is less of an inspirational leader and more like the drooling, smiling maniac that always sits near you on public transport. The Arsenal players don't want to high-five him, they want to edge away from him. It's clear that Emmanuel Adebayor and Nicklas Bendtner don't get on, not least because the big Togolese striker lumped him earlier this season. Henry would have snuffed that out in an instant. It's funny that we've spent all season cooing over the way that the youngsters have developed in Henry's absence, but it's only now that we realise how much they could do with him being around.

But, despite the near-suicidal reaction of the Arsenal following to the Stamford Bridge defeat, it's not over yet. On April, 13, they will have a chance to cut the gap to three points when they visit Old Trafford. Manchester United are, of course, clear favourites, but you can read all you like into form and you can study tactics until the small hours of the morning, but it still comes down to eleven against eleven. Arsenal have every chance. After that, it's about not slipping up and the Gunners have a very nice run-in.

Wenger can still turn this around and a win at his old bogey ground, The Reebok Stadium, will do wonders for confidence. Next season though, things have to change. His greatest mistake was appointing the emotionally skittish Gallas as captain and it was clear that the others players had lost all respect for the French defender when he tried to rouse them with a pre-match speech at Stamford Bridge. Wenger can only do so much in training and before the game. He can't lead them once they cross over that white line. This summer he's going to have to invest in someone who can.

There's no Jens Lehmann to keep order at the back. No Gilberto to calm things down in the middle. No Thierry Henry to lead from the front. William Gallas is less of an inspirational leader and more like the drooling, smiling maniac that always sits near you on public transport. The Arsenal players don't want to high-five him, they want to edge away from him. It's clear that Emmanuel Adebayor and Nicklas Bendtner don't get on, not least because the big Togolese striker lumped him earlier this season. Henry would have snuffed that out in an instant. It's funny that we've spent all season cooing over the way that the youngsters have developed in Henry's absence, but it's only now that we realise how much they could do with him being around.

hahahaha!!!

great piece though, I saw Arsenal at the JJB a couple of weeks ago, they were poor in all areas and definitely looked like a ship without a rudder. Whilst I don't see Lehman as an inspirational and cool-headed leader, at least he would give them a kick up the a*se. Gallas is a quality defender but an absolute baby, i see better team qualities in Senderos!

2008 European Championships

While England’s footballers sulk in their sun-loungers, the rest of the continent will be contesting the 2008 European Championships. Iain Macintosh, who still won’t allow the word ‘McClaren’ to be uttered in his home, runs the rule over some of the potential stars of the summer. This week, it’s the turn of Dynamo Zagreb and Croatia midfielder, Luka Modric

I don't really remember much about England's defeat to Croatia last year. I watched most of it from behind the sofa, occasionally popping up to bellow, "Crouch can't play up front on his own, you ginger dolt!" I tried to be an objective journalist and study it as I would any other match, but there's only so much that you can see through a flood of frustrated tears. Apparently, according to some of my more professional colleagues, Croatian midfielder Luka Modric was very good. I didn't notice. All I noticed was an idiot under an umbrella.

Well, I've recovered now, sort of, and I decided it was time to have a look at this Modric character and find out just how good he really was and, you know what? Those professional journalists weren't quite right. Luka Modric isn't 'very good'. Luka Modric is absolutely outstanding!

Croatia arrived in Scotland for this European Championship warm-up game in defiant mood. Slaven Bilic, their bullish coach, has seen his hopes of summer glory dashed by the injury to Eduardo last month, but he's worked hard to rally the nation. Croatia practically went into mourning after that tackle. Their newspapers carried huge pictures of Martin Taylor with the headline, "The Executioner." It's fair to say they were unamused by the crippling of their leading goalscorer. Bilic was unamused by the smoking regulations in Scotland. A ban on cigarettes in all public places meant that he had to be escorted outside the stadium for his pre-match smoke. If he was nervous, he needn't have been. Why reach for the reassuring drag of a Malboro when you can just watch Modric in action?

If this sounds like an adolescent love letter, then I make no apologies. Some of the things that Modric did just made me sigh with pleasure. He's a wonderful player and I sincerely hope the rumours of his impending arrival in the Premier League are true. He is built like a sparrow and moves like one too. A sort of fluttering, ethereal blend of walking and flying, his head flicking around looking for danger. He doesn't so much kick the ball as gently wave his leg at it. He's so impish and light that you could clad him in tapshoes and make him play on concrete and you'd never hear his foot-falls.

Early on in this miserably wet night, he came into possession of the ball just outside of his own penalty area. A Scottish midfielder charged in to clatter him, but Modric simply shifted his weight and let the ball slide from his left foot to his right. That's all he did, but he seemed to spring three yards sideways as his assailant hurtled past him. Then, touching the ball back to his left foot he pushed out with his boot and sent a fifty yard through ball across the pitch that was measured so perfectly that it whistled past a Scottish defender and began to slow down just in front of Ivica Olic. If the Croatian striker had scored, you'd be seeing replays of the pass until the end of time.

Croatia's goal came from a swerving Niko Kranjcar shot (is there any other kind?) but it was made by Modric who took a thrown-in down with one gentle touch, bringing the ball under control with the outside of his foot while in mid-air. In the same movement, he pushed out and delivered the ball to Kranjcar. It was a tiny movement, a beautiful subtlety, but I get the feeling that Modric specialises in this.

Eduardo's absence will probably prevent Croatia from making a serious challenge in the summer, but Modric's presence will be something for everyone to look forward to. This boy is going to be a star.

STAR PLAYER - Luka Modric (Croatia)
Speed - 9
Skill - 10
Determination - 9
Total - 28

am i the only one who thinks that Slaven Bilic is the coolest man in football? he smokes, he has an earring and he looks like someone from Eastern Promises.

All hail the anti-Beckham!

SlavenBilic_167199.jpg

sbilic.jpg

I have to admit Bilic is a bit of a dude, he was on Sky Sports for a Man City game this season after Craotia had knocked England out and he came across as a really cool character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back