• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Angell Delight

Life President
Sorry to bring it up again chaps but have been too angry to come on the Zone since yesterday's game - now I need to get this off my chest as some sort of "therapy."

Have to say I am also a referee like "Lord Football" and therefore try to avoid slating officials but he was literally the worst I've seen in TWENTY YEARS as a fan of this football club. What a contrast to Lee Probert from last Tuesday. The tackles on Revell and Gower were disgraceful and worthy of reds, how Terry got away with the one on Revell is completely beyond my comprehension!! Barnard (in particular) and MacDonald were manhandled time and time again but awarded nothing at ANY point, in fact Barnard was more often than not penalised for being wrestled to the floor!! The penalty was a joke decision at the time and having seen it on the Championship it look even less of a pen. And just to sum up how bad the referee was he failed to at the very least caution Mulgrew (I think it was) if not red card him for pulling back Gray in stoppage time when he was "arguably" through on goal!! Open to interpretation but a yellow was the bare minimum any halfway-competent referee would have produced. Obviously that one worked to our advantage but it just goes to show how bad the referee was on the day, mostly against us but on that one occasion against them. Most of the time we were up against 12 men so a point is a creditable result and the least we deserved from the game.

Was great to see Tilly so livid with the ref in the centre circle at the end, I think most Blues fans were hoping he'd hit him!! Dreadful display and while I hate Dennis Wise with a passion I'd be tempted to have some sympathy with him if that really was the same referee he had the ruck with at Gillingham.

:mad:

P.S. Anyone know why Barny had to go off? No mention of the injury on the OS. If he'd come out for the 2nd half I've no doubt we'd have won the game regardless of that clown in yellow.

Last edited:
Said on the radio on the way home that his hamstring was playing up so they couldn't risk him

How the wotsit did that ref not give a foul awarded to Clarkey as he had been floored right at the death?
Y'know,that was the flick-on that led to the free-kick given which cost us 3points.
The O-dious player used Clarkey as a ladder and our goal-scoring hero got dumped on his behind right in front of that pathetic ref.

He was a joke that wasn't in the slightest bit funny:mad:

Sorry to bring it up again chaps but have been too angry to come on the Zone since yesterday's game - now I need to get this off my chest as some sort of "therapy."

Have to say I am also a referee like "Lord Football" and therefore try to avoid slating officials but he was literally the worst I've seen in TWENTY YEARS as a fan of this football club. What a contrast to Lee Probert from last Tuesday. The tackles on Revell and Gower were disgraceful and worthy of reds, how Terry got away with the one on Revell is completely beyond my comprehension!! Barnard (in particular) and MacDonald were manhandled time and time again but awarded nothing at ANY point, in fact Barnard was more often than not penalised for being wrestled to the floor!! The penalty was a joke decision at the time and having seen it on the Championship it look even less of a pen. And just to sum up how bad the referee was he failed to at the very least caution Mulgrew (I think it was) if not red card him for pulling back Gray in stoppage time when he was "arguably" through on goal!! Open to interpretation but a yellow was the bare minimum any halfway-competent referee would have produced. Obviously that one worked to our advantage but it just goes to show how bad the referee was on the day, mostly against us but on that one occasion against them. Most of the time we were up against 12 men so a point is a creditable result and the least we deserved from the game.

Was great to see Tilly so livid with the ref in the centre circle at the end, I think most Blues fans were hoping he'd hit him!! Dreadful display and while I hate Dennis Wise with a passion I'd be tempted to have some sympathy with him if that really was the same referee he had the ruck with at Gillingham.

:mad:

P.S. Anyone know why Barny had to go off? No mention of the injury on the OS. If he'd come out for the 2nd half I've no doubt we'd have won the game regardless of that clown in yellow.

You make some very valid points. The foul on Gray was probably a red un, and I totally agree about Terrys tackle. I'm not quite sure what tackle/foul you are talking about re Gower.

Its funny how fans see different things. I'm not sure how you can comment on the handball/pen incident from the highlights on ITV earlier. The camera work was very shoddy and I couldnt tell either way whether it was or wasnt. His positioning wasnt as good as I initially thought, so I'm in agreement with Tilsons comments about him giving the decision from behind Bailey.

Personally, I thought Southend were the more physical team. I dont think you were dirty, but the midfield four certainly put themselves about and Clarke/Barrett take no prisoners !

Not sure what the LORD FOOTBALL comment is all about....I'm only giving my opinions !!! BTW, what league do you ref in ?

You make some very valid points. The foul on Gray was probably a red un, and I totally agree about Terrys tackle. I'm not quite sure what tackle/foul you are talking about re Gower.

Its funny how fans see different things. I'm not sure how you can comment on the handball/pen incident from the highlights on ITV earlier. The camera work was very shoddy and I couldnt tell either way whether it was or wasnt. His positioning wasnt as good as I initially thought, so I'm in agreement with Tilsons comments about him giving the decision from behind Bailey.

Personally, I thought Southend were the more physical team. I dont think you were dirty, but the midfield four certainly put themselves about and Clarke/Barrett take no prisoners !

Not sure what the LORD FOOTBALL comment is all about....I'm only giving my opinions !!! BTW, what league do you ref in ?

As is normally the case and i speak with my 30yrs of playing the beautiful game,referees know nowt about the game because they've never played it.
It's the closest occupation they could get in their spare time as they were refused a seat as a local councillor!
Ever played in a team Lord Griff? ;)

As is normally the case and i speak with my 30yrs of playing the beautiful game,referees know nowt about the game because they've never played it.
It's the closest occupation they could get in their spare time as they were refused a seat as a local councillor!
Ever played in a team Lord Griff? ;)

Not a great standard, but I played in the Borough Comb (when the O's were away) for a few years, but spent most of my playing career plying my trade in the Southend Sunday League. 12 or 13 seasons, before I hung up my boots and started reffing.

So there !

"Lord Football" is another referee and poster on this forum who slated the idiot in yellow.

Nice to have a normal sensible poster like yourself LG who we have no problem conversing with, an Orient fan on here who clearly ISN'T in their early teens.

From the position I was in I had a completely unobstructed view of the penalty incident at the time and couldn't believe the decision, it quite clearly struck the chest of Francis. I think possibly the penalty appeal you had in the 1st half which was turned down MAY have had some say in this 2nd one being given. It goes without saying that previous appeals should in no way affect future decisions but in reality (and I assume you are either a referee or player yourself) we all know that with the weaker officials this is sometimes the case and it's wrong.

Terry should definitely have gone, how the referee and his assistant on that side BOTH missed it is baffling beyond belief. The Gower one by the corner flag looked extremely reckless from my view (although I do admit that unlike the penalty decision I was this time further away from the incident so others may have a different opinion). Mulgrew should have gone in my book, and to be honest I thought at the time he'd deliberately sacrificed himself for the good of the team given that Gray was through. For me the lack of even a YELLOW card just capped the referee's performance off for me as the very worst I've seen in 20 years as a Southend fan - I hope his assessor gave him a rocket up his *rse in the dressing room.

At the moment I'm refereeing on the Corinthian League whilst lining on the Essex Senior League mate.

Not a great standard, but I played in the Borough Comb (when the O's were away) for a few years, but spent most of my playing career plying my trade in the Southend Sunday League. 12 or 13 seasons, before I hung up my boots and started reffing.

So there !

Ok then,but i bet you set up a neighbourhood watch in your area and have the meets monthly round your house,a night in curtain-twitching and writing into your local rag bemoaning street litter and all that;)

So,a Shrimper in disguise again i see,local lad and all that.
Where's your live-in lover Jonny Stokes,the friend to the masses on here?
Still got his toungue stuck up the backside of some sorry Shrimper no doubt.

Feel free to post anyway,not that i will take anything seriously from someone who is a,Borient and b,an ex-ref:eek:

"Lord Football" is another referee and poster on this forum who slated the idiot in yellow.

Nice to have a normal sensible poster like yourself LG who we have no problem conversing with, an Orient fan on here who clearly ISN'T in their early teens.

From the position I was in I had a completely unobstructed view of the penalty incident at the time and couldn't believe the decision, it quite clearly struck the chest of Francis. I think possibly the penalty appeal you had in the 1st half which was turned down MAY have had some say in this 2nd one being given. It goes without saying that previous appeals should in no way affect future decisions but in reality (and I assume you are either a referee or player yourself) we all know that with the weaker officials this is sometimes the case and it's wrong.

Terry should definitely have gone, how the referee and his assistant on that side BOTH missed it is baffling beyond belief. The Gower one by the corner flag looked extremely reckless from my view (although I do admit that unlike the penalty decision I was this time further away from the incident so others may have a different opinion). Mulgrew should have gone in my book, and to be honest I thought at the time he'd deliberately sacrificed himself for the good of the team given that Gray was through. For me the lack of even a YELLOW card just capped the referee's performance off for me as the very worst I've seen in 20 years as a Southend fan - I hope his assessor gave him a rocket up his *rse in the dressing room.

At the moment I'm refereeing on the Corinthian League whilst lining on the Essex Senior League mate.

Interesting comments, from a more experienced and qualified ref than myself. The Gower one for me (I know the one you are talking about now) looked like a booking to me, and I'm pretty sure thats what the ref gave.

The Terry foul was a stonewall red card.

Your positioning for the pen was miles better than mine ( I was behind the goal at the other end ) so again, I will go with you.

And the foul on Gray at the end was very cynical and warranted a card of some sort.

What I would say, I thought his man-management skills were pretty good and many refs would have had bucket loads in the book or off yesterday, which could have spoiled a pretty entertaining affair.

BTW, you dont fancy reffing some games in Southend do you !!!

Ok then,but i bet you set up a neighbourhood watch in your area and have the meets monthly round your house,a night in curtain-twitching and writing into your local rag bemoaning street litter and all that;)

So,a Shrimper in disguise again i see,local lad and all that.
Where's your live-in lover Jonny Stokes,the friend to the masses on here?
Still got his toungue stuck up the backside of some sorry Shrimper no doubt.

Feel free to post anyway,not that i will take anything seriously from someone who is a,Borient and b,an ex-ref:eek:

I am most definately not a Shrimper in disguise. Born in Billericay, but I had to carry on the family tradition (lets face it, there has to be a reason) of supporting the O's through thin and thin.....

And you'll be glad to know I recieved plenty of stick from the Gimper fans, whilst attending a Southend Secondary School. :(

Scarred me for laugh.

Interesting comments, from a more experienced and qualified ref than myself. The Gower one for me (I know the one you are talking about now) looked like a booking to me, and I'm pretty sure thats what the ref gave.

The Terry foul was a stonewall red card.

Your positioning for the pen was miles better than mine ( I was behind the goal at the other end ) so again, I will go with you.

And the foul on Gray at the end was very cynical and warranted a card of some sort.

What I would say, I thought his man-management skills were pretty good and many refs would have had bucket loads in the book or off yesterday, which could have spoiled a pretty entertaining affair.

Make up your mind!!

On your opening thread today you stated you thought the ref had a good game today,now you are picking away at his performance.Which is it:confused:

I'll tell you,he was dire.
Let extremely bad challenges go.
Booked Flavs for supposedly time-wasting then pulled back the kick after it had gone in the Orient end and made him take it again,where's the fcuking sense in that??
Gave the Ooze a free-kick right at the death but missed the flick-on which led to it where your guy used Clarkey as a ladder!

Yeah mate definite red for me.

Re games in Southend I'm very much tied up with the Corinthian League at the moment on Sunday's but if I get some free weekends I'll give you a shout on your own board LG and if you have anything for me I'll be happy to help.

So there !

You hung up your boots?....then started reffing?......

I bet you slip over a lot in just your socks???

Back