• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Solihull Moors 0-3 Southend Utd

If we’d turned just the recent 3 home draws against weak opposition into wins we’d be 3 points off the play off places with something to play for. 10 of the players last night were those that have been full time for a while and that started the season well. The other is a full time professional that played with us previously. It’ll be interesting to see if we stick with the winning formula or spend the next few dead rubbers trying to integrate and get up to speed ex part timers that we’ve bought in since the embargo.

Interesting that some thought we were dire in the first 20 minutes. We no doubt expected Solihull to come out of the blocks at speed, and that is what they did. What we did was to absorb that rush and then built on it. I just didn't see it as dire, I saw it as tactically sound, but what do I know, I predicted a 3-0 result to Southend. (Yeah, I'm going to milk it).
I’m sorry but we were woeful first 15 mins. We couldn’t get out our half and kept giving the ball away. It resembled some of our recent starts, difference being we didn’t concede. Then with our first meaningful attack we scored and that changed the game completely , even Kev said in his interview we were poor at the start.

I’m sorry but we were woeful first 15 mins. We couldn’t get out our half and kept giving the ball away. It resembled some of our recent starts, difference being we didn’t concede. Then with our first meaningful attack we scored and that changed the game completely , even Kev said in his interview we were poor at the start.
Not taking anything away from last night, but this seems to be a worrying trend recently where we only start playing after we score.

This is certainly something that needs improving on next season.

I stand corrected @shrimperjon, you probably had a far better view of game, being there, than I did. We were dire.

From the Solihull forum:

Last night I think we were expecting a defeat to be honest with the amount of players we have unavailable ,Squad depth,Less choice of formation and dimension,Only a few options on bench.

First half we started the better team just couldn’t take our chances.Ozzy free kick was unlucky not to score ,Campbell should of scored though he gave the option for sbarra to hit wide of goal.We had a few headed chances that couldn’t be converted.They pressed us on the break from our sloppy mistakes and scored from that with 2 excellent organised chances.Since they scored the second we looked like we had our day but made chances in the second half

Second half.Yeah we made chances for ourselves just couldn’t convert them into the net .They scored there 3rd we looked dead and buried. Ozzy,Maycock and newts came off and obviously might have been something to do with Fridays game against Barnet.

Anyway onto Friday against Barnet,Live on TNT,Play off push.

Listening in on the radio.

I was very concerned for the first 20 minutes, and thought we sounded as though we were going under the cosh, so I was settling in for a long night and a horrible defeat.

That was until that little run and Coker popping up to score totally against the run of play! Then Dackers creating the second out of thin air, and then Coker popped up a second time to make it 2. I really wasnt expecting that!! Then when Cards added a third in the second half and we controlled the game completely, there was only going to be one winner. The question was, how many? 3 will more than do!!

What seems to have changed things is the midfield moved forward about 20 yards, and started playing decent midfield short ball possession and keep-ball in the middle, with the defenders behind them, not on top of them. We have been doing that far too much lately, staying too far back, then playing ourselves into trouble when there is no need to.

Agree, no team will want to play us when we are firing on all cylinders like we were last night. The bad owner situation and the embargo has cost us far more than the 10 points this season. Undoubtedly, the lads are exhausted, so it is good we have options on the bench and good players are being left out of the matchday squad now. Much as the playoffs are still technically possible, I would almost prefer we see this season out in a nice upper mid-table finish. That allows them all to have a decent break, and we can come back fresh for next season under new stewardship.

With the right prep, there is no reason why we cant launch our promotion push from August!!

Listening in on the radio.

I was very concerned for the first 20 minutes, and thought we sounded as though we were going under the cosh, so I was settling in for a long night and a horrible defeat.

That was until that little run and Coker popping up to score totally against the run of play! Then Dackers creating the second out of thin air, and then Coker popped up a second time to make it 2. I really wasnt expecting that!! Then when Cards added a third in the second half and we controlled the game completely, there was only going to be one winner. The question was, how many? 3 will more than do!!

What seems to have changed things is the midfield moved forward about 20 yards, and started playing decent midfield short ball possession and keep-ball in the middle, with the defenders behind them, not on top of them. We have been doing that far too much lately, staying too far back, then playing ourselves into trouble when there is no need to.

Agree, no team will want to play us when we are firing on all cylinders like we were last night. The bad owner situation and the embargo has cost us far more than the 10 points this season. Undoubtedly, the lads are exhausted, so it is good we have options on the bench and good players are being left out of the matchday squad now. Much as the playoffs are still technically possible, I would almost prefer we see this season out in a nice upper mid-table finish. That allows them all to have a decent break, and we can come back fresh for next season under new stewardship.

With the right prep, there is no reason why we cant launch our promotion push from August!!
If I’m reading this right you’d rather we finish mid table than in the playoffs so the players can have a break?

First to get credit is the 187......Heroes everyone of you Great to hear the drum and the noise all second half. Even when we lost sound us sofa boys switch over to BBC Essex just to hear the after party.

Well done the lads in Pink. You matched the bravery of the 187 in on of the least attractive away fixtures all season.

Obviously Dackers is getting plenty of praise. He is clearly a confidence player so remember that if it bounces off his shin just after KO at Ebbsfleet.

Harry C should also get top marks. His work rate was back to its best and vital to our press them high tactic. Great finish to round of good night for Harry and rightly protected by Kev when subbed.

As we know we are good side 1-0 up but poor 0-1 down. Coming out for the second half it was vital the never nicked one back. What we got was master class in keep ball for 15 mins. You could literally see them deflate and there was only ever one winner after 60 mins.

I'm certainly looking forward to Friday more than I was yesterday. I guess most of you are too. Group of us are on the 09:45 from Southend East. Straight to Gravesend for refreshments. Lets make sure we do our bit on Friday and make it a perfect start to Easter.

Last edited:
If we can keep that back 5 fit most of next season we have a good chance. Colin too. They have all improved immeasurably under the 3 amigos. 3 or 4 quality additions in other areas and we should be one of the favourites to go up.

Interesting that some thought we were dire in the first 20 minutes. We no doubt expected Solihull to come out of the blocks at speed, and that is what they did. What we did was to absorb that rush and then built on it. I just didn't see it as dire, I saw it as tactically sound, but what do I know, I predicted a 3-0 result to Southend. (Yeah, I'm going to milk it).
Exactly how I saw it. I thought we were a little sloppy at times in that first 20 mins but didn't think it was dire. They were the home team and are sitting in 4th, they *should* have been out of the blocks quickly and on the front foot from the start. Sure, it might have been a different story if one of their 2 chances had gone in, but they didn't. We needed to absorb whilst we grew into the game and nick one on the counter.

I do think some need to temper expectations, but those who saw the first 20 as "dire" were probably just having hangovers of frustration from the previous few games where we've created so little.

Back