• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Solihull Moors 0-3 Southend Utd

As mentioned previously if only we had turned one draw into a win last month i feel momentum could of carried us very close to nick the final play off place - on their day this squad are the second best team in the league and what comes with that is an expectation to win these kind of games and especially against the likes of York, Wealdstone and the likes .

Anyway i dare to dream so lets hope we can push on from this and grab 3 points on Friday to put the wind up the teams just above us and provide an entertaining climax to a hard season

Exactly how I saw it. I thought we were a little sloppy at times in that first 20 mins but didn't think it was dire. They were the home team and are sitting in 4th, they *should* have been out of the blocks quickly and on the front foot from the start. Sure, it might have been a different story if one of their 2 chances had gone in, but they didn't. We needed to absorb whilst we grew into the game and nick one on the counter.

I do think some need to temper expectations, but those who saw the first 20 as "dire" were probably just having hangovers of frustration from the previous few games where we've created so little.
James, I was there and after travelling through horrendous travelling conditions those of us on the terrace were feeling uneasy for the first 15 mins. We just didnt get going and our passing was hesitant and misplaced and as a result invited the pressure. Obvs being at the ground always gives a different perspective than watching on tv but it was a nervy and nail biting start. Maybe dire was the wrong choice of words and you make a good point that it probably came from the previous couple of performances and just seemed a continuation from Saturday. I tweeted after 15 mins, take Saturdays performance and multiply as that’s what it felt like. However once we scored there was only one winner and the difference between the first 20 mins and the next 70 was chalk and cheese. What needs to be addressed certainly next season is to get going from the off. We are a much better side when we are on the front foot and dominating teams which arguably since Christmas we havnt been doing. But all in all in the end and very good night. Let’s hope it can be replicated infront of a huge following Friday

James, I was there and after travelling through horrendous travelling conditions those of us on the terrace were feeling uneasy for the first 15 mins. We just didnt get going and our passing was hesitant and misplaced and as a result invited the pressure. Obvs being at the ground always gives a different perspective than watching on tv but it was a nervy and nail biting start. Maybe dire was the wrong choice of words and you make a good point that it probably came from the previous couple of performances and just seemed a continuation from Saturday. I tweeted after 15 mins, take Saturdays performance and multiply as that’s what it felt like. However once we scored there was only one winner and the difference between the first 20 mins and the next 70 was chalk and cheese. What needs to be addressed certainly next season is to get going from the off. We are a much better side when we are on the front foot and dominating teams which arguably since Christmas we havnt been doing. But all in all in the end and very good night. Let’s hope it can be replicated infront of a huge following Friday
Yeah, completely get that mate. Slightly different perspective when you're there, after a long journey and with loads of other fans groaning around you, than watching it on your own on the TV. I don't think you're wrong, I think we were a bit sloppy in those first 20 mins, but I also just think we were the away side, and the home team just got on the front foot from the start and tried to impose their will. As a home side should do. But they ultimately failed and we rode it out.

We do need to get back to how we were earlier in the season, which was on the front foot from the off. Certainly at home, because we can't expect it to happen all the time away from home. We know they can do it, it's just a confidence thing. Fingers crossed Friday and Monday bring a continuation!

If any of our players produced it every game, they wouldn’t be our players for very long.

There is a reason these guys are our players, or at least our players on loan, and not playing at Wembley for their country instead.
I get your point but surely at some point we have to change that mentality or we'll never get out of this league. After all wrexham and chesterfields players arent playing for their country at wembley, they were just of the beat players in the national league.

I get your point but surely at some point we have to change that mentality or we'll never get out of this league. After all wrexham and chesterfields players arent playing for their country at wembley, they were just of the beat players in the national league.
Wrexham players were not off the beat. Mullin, Tozer and Palmer were all signed from much higher up on huge wages. We aren't going to do that.

Chesterfield did the same with Naylor and Grigg.

Stockport did the same with Paddy Madden.

We aren't in that shop window and therefore our signings are going to have their limitations. We may not like it but it's the reality.

Yeah, completely get that mate. Slightly different perspective when you're there, after a long journey and with loads of other fans groaning around you, than watching it on your own on the TV. I don't think you're wrong, I think we were a bit sloppy in those first 20 mins, but I also just think we were the away side, and the home team just got on the front foot from the start and tried to impose their will. As a home side should do. But they ultimately failed and we rode it out.

We do need to get back to how we were earlier in the season, which was on the front foot from the off. Certainly at home, because we can't expect it to happen all the time away from home. We know they can do it, it's just a confidence thing. Fingers crossed Friday and Monday bring a continuation!
spot on mate

The perception needs to shift away from doing a Chesterfield, Wrexham, Stockport. It’s been an exceptional few years in the NL, those clubs spending their way out isn’t the norm. Best to look at how Barrow, Sutton, Harrogate and the likes got out of the league, as I can’t see there being a big spender next year (perhaps Oldham but not to the same degree)

The performance yesterday confirmed we have the makings of a very good team with the right additions in areas we have endlessly discussed. We should be excited for next year.

The Solihull (edited) commentators thought we were "clinical". Generally, as we know all to well, we aren't. What did happen is the key chances fell to Coker and Cardwell probably the two players on the pitch you would regard as good finishers. And the more players we have in that category, the more chances we will convert, and our expected goals per game and actual goals per game will converge. Naturally.

Last edited:
Front foot football has proven to be the best option in this league and where we have mustered our best performances and results. Too many times we have played slow, ponderous stuff. It's not tiredness, Woking excuse dispelled by Solihull performance, it's not all down to confidence, we have won games in a row and then performed rubbish, it has simply been the wrong tactics applied. We have not mixed it up enough and been so predictable. The points deduction hurt us but, our failure to make the play-offs has been of our own making. I hope lessons have now been learned but would not be shocked to see a return to overblown play in our very next match. It keeps happening.

The performance yesterday confirmed we have the makings of a very good team with the right additions in areas we have endlessly discussed. We should be excited for next year.

The Ebbsfleet commentators thought we were "clinical". Generally, as we know all to well, we aren't. What did happen is the key chances fell to Coker and Cardwell probably the two players on the pitch you would regard as good finishers. And the more players we have in that category, the more chances we will convert, and our expected goals per game and actual goals per game will converge. Naturally.
This is great to hear. What was the score please, off to the bookies... :Winking:

Front foot football has proven to be the best option in this league and where we have mustered our best performances and results. Too many times we have played slow, ponderous stuff. It's not tiredness, Woking excuse dispelled by Solihull performance, it's not all down to confidence, we have won games in a row and then performed rubbish, it has simply been the wrong tactics applied. We have not mixed it up enough and been so predictable. The points deduction hurt us but, our failure to make the play-offs has been of our own making. I hope lessons have now been learned but would not be shocked to see a return to overblown play in our very next match. It keeps happening.
How on earth can not making the play offs be our own making ? Just look at the sides we had to field around Christmas and before. Home to Fylde being a case in point. Football teams don't win every game, no matter who they are.

The Ebbsfleet commentators thought we were "clinical". Generally, as we know all to well, we aren't. What did happen is the key chances fell to Coker and Cardwell probably the two players on the pitch you would regard as good finishers. And the more players we have in that category, the more chances we will convert, and our expected goals per game and actual goals per game will converge. Naturally.
Although they were Solihull, didn't stop going on about Collin and especially Dackers

But even the best players in the national league are still flawed though, otherwise they’d be playing higher. The players are at this level for a reason, whether they are passing through and going higher, on their way down, or just at their peak.

I’m not knocking them, just stating facts.

Interesting that some thought we were dire in the first 20 minutes. We no doubt expected Solihull to come out of the blocks at speed, and that is what they did. What we did was to absorb that rush and then built on it. I just didn't see it as dire, I saw it as tactically sound, but what do I know, I predicted a 3-0 result to Southend. (Yeah, I'm going to milk it).
Believe me, I was standing right behind our goal, and I dont think there was anything tactical from us in that first twenty.

Believe me, I was standing right behind our goal, and I dont think there was anything tactical from us in that first twenty.
I'm fighting a losing battle here I think. Bloody arm chair critic:Sorry:

Reactions: ace
Haven't read every posting.
Just wanted to say that the match officials were excellent.

The perception needs to shift away from doing a Chesterfield, Wrexham, Stockport. It’s been an exceptional few years in the NL, those clubs spending their way out isn’t the norm. Best to look at how Barrow, Sutton, Harrogate and the likes got out of the league, as I can’t see there being a big spender next year (perhaps Oldham but not to the same degree)
Excellent point.

It’s easy to think that as the last three years looked like this then next year will as well but the NL bottleneck looks temporary rather than permanent to me.

If you look at the 20/21 season of the top 8, only Torquay (since relegated) and Bromley haven’t been promoted yet.

I’d also argue it’s not just the money that the likes of Wrexham, Stockport, Notts County and Chesterfield and ourselves can spend on new players (although that helps) but the ability to retain top talent.

See how Borehamwood and Woking have fallen away this season and how Halifax and Solihull did last season.

Much easier to sell a dream with a Southend, Chesterfield, Stockport, Notts County etc than it is with a team getting 1500 on a good day.

Back