• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Save our Southend SOS Statement

But the way it's being run, there's every possibility we'll be relegated again or go out if business, anyway. How many winding up orders will it take before HMRC finally pull the plug (and this time he'll have much lower gate receipts) ?
I was only pointing out that it could get worse i wasnt disagreeing with you. if HMRC did pull the plug then we are done anyway

I was only pointing out that it could get worse i wasnt disagreeing with you. if HMRC did pull the plug then we are done anyway

Yes, it could. I totally see what you are saying. I just hope the protest is done in a professional way and people don't lose their heads. Otherwise, it'll have an adverse effect to what we are trying to achieve.

Yes, it could. I totally see what you are saying. I just hope the protest is done in a professional way and people don't lose their heads. Otherwise, it'll have an adverse effect to what we are trying to achieve.
Yep exactly, there are pros and cons to media coverage, it brings attention but can also bring people who are shall we say professional protesters who then start little bits of trouble etc. I am sure SOS have it all in hand though

How can the situation get an worse, though ? We are going into Non League, the club has very few assets left, it is millions in debt (and the debt increases year on year), the accounts are always produced late (so we never know the current financial situation), we have no planning permission for a new stadium, and even if we did, there is no guarantee of how this will benefit SUFC in the short or long term !
Things can always get worse. The Club could be liquidated and Ron Martin will still make money out of the deal. Don't get me wrong, I'm in favour of the protest but it can't stop there, there have to be productive next steps ready to be taken. I don't yet know what they are or will be, but I really hope that the SOS committee already are planning them.

Things can always get worse. The Club could be liquidated and Ron Martin will still make money out of the deal. Don't get me wrong, I'm in favour of the protest but it can't stop there, there have to be productive next steps ready to be taken. I don't yet know what they are or will be, but I really hope that the SOS committee already are planning them.

Well, if he wants to go down in history as the owner that ruined SUFC and sold all the assets for his personal gain then that's his choice. Personally, after all the great memories, I wouldn't want to end my reign with that legacy.

Well, if he wants to go down in history as the owner that ruined SUFC and sold all the assets for his personal gain then that's his choice. Personally, after all the great memories, I wouldn't want to end my reign with that legacy.
All I would say to that is Steve Dale.

I have now decided to go along to the protest! Even just to voice my own opinion the way the club has been run. Ron in my opinion is the reason sufc are in the National league.

Whether it will make a difference (probably not). We will atleast show united front...... providing sufficient numbers turn up!

I have now decided to go along to the protest! Even just to voice my own opinion the way the club has been run. Ron in my opinion is the reason sufc are in the National league.

Whether it will make a difference (probably not). We will atleast show united front...... providing sufficient numbers turn up!
Be great to see you! Come introduce yourself, always good to meet other shrimpers

Yeah, but you see, he doesn't care.

I don't think it is relaxed, I think it is refreshingly pragmatic. Shouting, chanting and being abusive towards the club's biggest creditor seems mindless in the extreme - particularly with no Plan B. At some point, in order for the Club to reverse its fortunes, all parties are going to need to come together and work for a common goal. I wouldn't be making that even more difficult to achieve at this critical moment than it is already.

That all sounds great.

But you are forgetting the most crucial aspect. Ron lies continuously and rules the club like a dictator. He doesn't allow any access to the inner workings of the club and views most fans with absolute contempt.

He has had so many opportunities to work with fans and or other business and outside investors but refuses all support.

This cannot be allowed to continue. He is a poor businessman, poor club owner and has proved time and time again that his one track way of working has done nothing for this club. Certainly for a long time now.

It's not a model that works. That model needs to change and if that means turning up the heat then so be it.

Ron needs help, whether he wants it or not, without it this club will continue to tread water or sink.

If we want a sustainable club with fans actively running the club, then we need to force Ron's hand.

We have waited long enough and now is our time.

Good post although tbf he HAS publically accepted responsibility for the plight of the club and it would be wrong for us not to recognise that. It is that kind of misreporting that I'm sure does nothing to improve relations.

We are where we are and we HAVE to focus on what comes next - not recriminations. That goes for everybody including Ron - and that needs to be the starting point.
I apologise unreservedly if Ron has stood up and taken full responsibility for the current plight of the club, I must have missed that announcement. Perhaps you can point me to where he made the statement as I would be interested to read/hear how it was couched.

Just to let people know covenants can be bought sold and cancelled. I paid £1500 to by out most of the restrictions on the Southend property I live in.

By all means protest but don't think a covenant is for ever . It will last until the council need housing or Ron decides to charge the club interest on the £20m debt.

Ron can no more grant planning for a stadium than any of us. Its the council that will decide so if you want Ron gone you would be better of pressuring them with elections just round the corner

For those of you who want Ron to fail or force him to stay at RH...He wont he will still have the land we just wont have a club.

Stop kidding yourselves that this is the same as Blackpool or Orient. Its completely different as they were not moving stadiums and there were not 1300 houses in the deal.....Brentford fans didn't force their chairman out because the council got their finger out, same with Wimbledon....Where as Southend blocked FF by creating the Seaway.

By the way Ron owes me more money than any of you so I have plenty to be angry about but you should also see the bigger picture. The council are pulling everyones pants down, not just us Shrimpers.

You make a very good point Rigsby but are forgetting a major point.

Ron did have full planning for the previous stadium design of 15k if memory serves.

He couldnt raise the funds due to the economy crash on 2008.

Now when finances improved I. E. Lending streams, he could have simply applied for the same money and planning and undoubtedly would have been able to build.

But Ron being Ron decided that Ron world needed to be built. Not only are SBC against outside retail development due to impact on high street but local infrastructure doesn't really suit such a large development. This was always going to be a fruitless exercise. This has been proved by the fact the money making aspect of the build I. E. The retail etc has had to be dropped and the council buttered up.

The fact remains. If this was about Sufc and a move to a new stadium then we would have been in a new stadium years ago.

Ron's biggest issue is his ego won't allow him to make rational choices.

If we want a sustainable club with fans actively running the club, then we need to force Ron's hand.

We have waited long enough and now is our time.

If you offer £50m i'm sure you would get an audience.

Fans running the club?.... With their own money?....Wiggy as goalkeeping coach?

I apologise unreservedly if Ron has stood up and taken full responsibility for the current plight of the club, I must have missed that announcement. Perhaps you can point me to where he made the statement as I would be interested to read/hear how it was couched.

Hold on you misquoted me. I didn't say full responsibility and I don't think even Ron's harshest critics would say it was fair to say everything is down to him. His predecessors, recent managers, some players, SBC, the recession - these have all played their part too either directly or indirectly. But as the guy at the top he has held his hand up and rightly so.

Will there also be a demonstration / protest outside council offices for their lack of support for FF. It does seem that the council are so disinterested in the application, and with local elections coming up in the next couple of weeks the council make up could all change, and Ron will be back to square one trying to convince new councilors about his proposal.

Its not just Ron dragging his heals in appointing CEOs, or paying the tax bills in time. Its also the council as well not supporting what is probably the biggest asset the town has outside of the pier.

Back