• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Save our Southend SOS Statement

I fully endorse the fact Ron Martin has to accept the failings of the club and the way it has been run over the last few years.

But I also believe that certain Managers and players also have to take a bite out of this huge $hit sandwich, they have also played their part in bringing this club down to its lowest level

we can all blame Ron and quite rightly so, but don't forget there are many people involved in this circus

the only ones who can't be blamed is the Fans and we are the ones who will be back again next season home and away

Thank you for this. A brilliant article by the leader of the council. Great quote, "Whilst Southend United may be struggling at the moment, for football clubs, form is temporary, long-term status is driven by their infrastructure and their fan base. With that in mind, Southend United still has a bright future".

And yet 5 months later we still don't know if planning is fully in. No agenda has been set to give the final green light.

My understanding, is that the final key decision will now happen after the May local elections.

If what is said is true i.e the tories are against and they get back into power at local level, does that then spell the end of fossetts?

We need a green light. Will we ever actually get it?

The Tories are against is also a myth. Where do people get this from. Did no one follow the council meeting. It was live on the net. What it showed was some councillors were very much in favour and included a lot on the Development Control Committee. A few councillors were complete dickheads but not exclusively Tory and there were some worries about transport infrastructure.

SBC are fully on board. Why invent problems when there are enough real ones. And yes it is mainly the housing Ron's finally hit the right spot but it is not true the council are anti SUFC.

I think you're mistaking 'anti' for antipathy. I don't think they're anti-SUFC. But I certainly think they're completely indifferent.

"Stay with it and I'll do my best to fix it. If I don't fix it I'll move on but that's not the intention and I will get it right," "The fans may not agree with this but I don't think we'll be relegated either." Ron Martin 12 Dec 2019.

Since then we are about to be relegated for the second successive time and lose our 101 year EFL status. I'd say that's a pretty big failure to "fix" things and that's certainly not "getting it right". That's not even touching on the embargoes/tax issues/wages issues/20 year wait for a new stadium etc.

Time for change...whether that means Ron "moving on" or working with him to facilitate that, these discussions and solutions need to be brought to the table. With a United front from all fans and fan groups, I'm sure slowly but surely the necessary changes can be addressed in a realistic and positive manner. Hopefully leading to a professionally run club we can be proud of, with a proper structure and plan of sustainability. Something we are severely lacking right now and have been for a number of years. If discussions fail to materialise or change is not forthcoming, then fans need to be prepared to take things up a notch.

Last edited:
That might be your reading of it - but it's not mine.

Don't know what you're reading then.

The most recent statement is a case in point.

"I know people want someone to blame, that is human nature."

Yes of course they do, especially when it is obvious who deserves the bulk of that blame. There is just no humility or self-awareness now.

How about something like "I know you are all hurting at what has happened over the past few seasons. I acknowledge that mistakes have been made and I apologise for the role that I have played in this difficulties. I will work tirelessly to turn it around".

Me neither ..... however out of courtesy will respond to your points briefly:

(a) I said this wasn't personal.

(b) Reading what you have written I rest my case. Only 5 pages in all that time, records not decisions, comments not assigned, attendees not listed, only really serve "to jog memories." And you are proud of that? As I said it's no more than a talk shop. How can you possibly hold anybody to account based on that. As a "fairly senior Civil Servant" I would have thought you would have known that more than anybody.

I take your point about current environment ..... but when these meetings were taking place the club wasn't in the volatile position it now finds itself in - certainly on the verge of losing its EFL status. That reasoning does not compute.

(c) Have your demo and do exactly what Ron expects from you. The media will be interested for a day or two but will then move on and you will become tomorrow's chip paper. I've been asked what I mean when I say do what Ron least expects. Probably not the best idea to discuss on a public forum but if anybody running SOS is genuinely interested PM me.

I'm off to work.

Just for clarity, I've not made it personal. Merely questioned your "new faces" line. Not sure what you meant by that or if its just a deflection tactic. Even so, nothing personal here - just correcting the inaccuracies of your post and the inappropriate technical project management terms you've used.

You are entitled to your view and 20th Century Project Management Principles, I'll stick to the Rank & File Campaigning Model. ;)

I fully endorse the fact Ron Martin has to accept the failings of the club and the way it has been run over the last few years.

But I also believe that certain Managers and players also have to take a bite out of this huge $hit sandwich, they have also played their part in bringing this club down to its lowest level

we can all blame Ron and quite rightly so, but don't forget there are many people involved in this circus

the only ones who can't be blamed is the Fans and we are the ones who will be back again next season home and away

If the fans are back home and away COME WHAT MAY ... then perhaps fans do need to accept some of the blame. You can't expect change if you aren't prepared to back up your demand without the threat (and following through with such a threat if necessary) of withdrawing your patronage. The vital stick to the carrot I have been advocating all morning. The nuclear option we hope will never be needed but our only realistic bargaining chip.

The Tories are against is also a myth. Where do people get this from. Did no one follow the council meeting. It was live on the net. What it showed was some councillors were very much in favour and included a lot on the Development Control Committee. A few councillors were complete dickheads but not exclusively Tory and there were some worries about transport infrastructure.
I don't agree with this at all, but it runs the risk of turning very political. it was pretty clear who was against the development and trying to obstruct things, and which party they were generally aligned to (or maybe more accurately, that they were fighting against the labour-led rainbow coalition council))

Just for clarity, I've not made it personal. Merely questioned your "new faces" line. Not sure what you meant by that or if its just a deflection tactic. Even so, nothing personal here - just correcting the inaccuracies of your post and the inappropriate technical project management terms you've used.

You are entitled to your view and 20th Century Project Management Principles, I'll stick to the Rank & File Campaigning Model. ;)

By personal I meant not a criticism of individuals efforts hitherto.

Pubey there clearly was no agreement on the Tory side at that meeting and as far as I can see no official policy on being against FF. I doubt the next local election will alter the council makeup a great deal in any case.

I don't agree with this at all, but it runs the risk of turning very political. it was pretty clear who was against the development and trying to obstruct things, and which party they were generally aligned to (or maybe more accurately, that they were fighting against the labour-led rainbow coalition council))

The very same group who sold off the Seaway car park for £1 and approved a cinema in record time, with details to be sorted later.

Thats why the BL project ended and thats why we are another 5 years down the road with plan C.

Lets not make this political with false claims that one side are better than the other because they all look out for themselves.

Remember Booby Moore in front of the modal of a new stadium in 1984? That can only happen if your councillors have been a mixture of lazy, inept and corrupt buffoons over decades. Regardless of whether they sport a red, blue or rainbow badge.

Pubey there clearly was no agreement on the Tory side at that meeting and as far as I can see no official policy on being against FF. I doubt the next local election will alter the council makeup a great deal in any case.
The tories (and aligned independents) had nothing to agree, they couldn’t put up an argument against the financial deal, so instead they obstructed and diverted the discussion about things that weren’t up for discussion. Their tactic is to hamstring the leadership as much as possible win back control at the next elections. If/when their back in control I’ll expect them to do the bare minimum (and that’s being generous) to support the town, has they have done for decades.

I re-read that council thread recently. The meeting was absolutely appalling.

I don't think it is relaxed, I think it is refreshingly pragmatic. Shouting, chanting and being abusive towards the club's biggest creditor seems mindless in the extreme - particularly with no Plan B. At some point, in order for the Club to reverse its fortunes, all parties are going to need to come together and work for a common goal. I wouldn't be making that even more difficult to achieve at this critical moment than it is already.

Maybe the protest shouldn't be "Ron Out" - it should be "Ron - let's talk" or something less confrontational.

As I've said in another thread (I think) - the issues of long term club sustainability could be achieved with Ron or if he wishes to sell in the long term then that is fine as well, but we need to know the long term plan, what happens once the stadium built, what is Ron succession planning if he is unable to continue etc

Maybe the protest shouldn't be "Ron Out" - it should be "Ron - let's talk" or something less confrontational.

As I've said in another thread (I think) - the issues of long term club sustainability could be achieved with Ron or if he wishes to sell in the long term then that is fine as well, but we need to know the long term plan, what happens once the stadium built, what is Ron succession planning if he is unable to continue etc

That's exactly what it will be and will be conveyed across very clearly by those involved in organising. In short "Change required" ?

Back