• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Airport

Has anyone flown from Southend to Amsterdam and if so what is the time in the air

I am a terrible passenger flying and looking at taking the wife to Tulip festival in April for her 60 th, looking at train but its nearly 5 hours from London and was going to bite the bullet and fly

Bulb fields only 30 mins from Amsterdam so was booking a weekend and seemed a lot of lost time if going by train, the thought of a small plane and props doesn't make me feel easy, but will board if only short hop

"In space no one can hear you scream " :ROFL:

Haven't flown to Amsterdam but I've taken the Eurostar to Amsterdam and it's great. Under 4 hours on a direct train. Within half an hour of arriving in Amsterdam I'd got to my accommodation, checked-in and ordered a beer. None of the hassle of getting into the centre from an airport miles outside the City or waiting for bags.

Just to let you lovely people know, that the airport is now charging all taxis when they drop off their passengers.
The free 15 minute drop off in the long stay car park is once every 24 hrs then IIRC it’s £25 if we drop off before that 24hr period has ended. The short stay drop of us £1.50 for 5 minutes which gets added to the customers fare at the end of the journey.
If customers don’t want to pay the extra £1.50 then they can be dropped at the airport shopping centre or on Manners Way.

I like to read a crash before I fly, makes me think you rarely hear of two in a day :Clap:

When me and my son were our in Corfu in June, every night when we for back to our apartment we put the TV on while getting ready for bed and there was only one English channel. The only thing they showed was Air crash investigation. Made for a nervy flight home ???

Flying from Southend's great! I've done it twice before and doing again in 3 weeks when I go to Portugal.

Best bit about it is obviously it's location. 10 mins from my house and you don't have to get there stupidly early as you get through security really quick. Even better, when coming back its usually 20 mins from hitting the tarmac to leaving the airport.

I would say the flights around 45 mins, the trolley barely serves anyone before you start descending and they have to pack up.

Just a word of warning, now Ryanair are on board, everything takes longer than it did before. Took us 45 mins thru check in and security so give yourself a bit more time

Just a word of warning, now Ryanair are on board, everything takes longer than it did before. Took us 45 mins thru check in and security so give yourself a bit more time
Yep I can 2nd that, it’ll only get worse with wizz air now on board and with increased flights it’ll be like a mini Stansted, to many flights and not enough staff, all it’s takes is a couple of delayed flights and it’s a very big roll on effect.

Another word of warning, my son took a pal to Southend Airport, stopped for 5 seconds outside the departures whilst pal nipped out with hand luggage only. 2 weeks later got £100 fine notice through the post for stopping in a control zone! Had to pay £60 in the end as he paid within 14 days. Beware! There is a free 15 minute drop off zone in Long stay 3 which is only a few minutes walk from departures.

Another word of warning, my son took a pal to Southend Airport, stopped for 5 seconds outside the departures whilst pal nipped out with hand luggage only. 2 weeks later got £100 fine notice through the post for stopping in a control zone! Had to pay £60 in the end as he paid within 14 days. Beware! There is a free 15 minute drop off zone in Long stay 3 which is only a few minutes walk from departures.

Cheers for that irenbird,
Wonder how many others have got caught out by this?.
Info def worth knowing.

People have also been caught dropping off on the road that leads to the airport by pets at home etc and then doing a u-turn. Same £100 fine.

You also can no longer stop in the delivery bays at the back of the stores in the retail park, which used to be a favourite for cabbies. Same £100 fine there - my boss got caught out the other day.

I've already looked into it. Been to Corfu so many times and have a lot of Greek friends so work wouldn't be a problem

Good luck but I'm not so sure.My remarks were based on a conversation I had with a UK expat in 92 in Corfu.He had a beach shop ( catering for summer tourists ) and obviously as an EFL teacher I was curious to hear how he survived outside the tourist season.As everyone knows, the Greek economy has taken a nose dive since those days.

You also can no longer stop in the delivery bays at the back of the stores in the retail park, which used to be a favourite for cabbies. Same £100 fine there - my boss got caught out the other day.

Bad news.Remember getting dropped (for nothing) outside the terminal in May.(Won't be a problem for our next visit in October as we're flying into/out of Gatwick).

Back