• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Southend Town Centre

I know Steve Collazo and had the pleasure of seeing him and the girls playing live in my mates back garden a few months ago.

Blimey, that's something.

Good to hear the Cazallo is still going strong.

Very good mates with Georgie B (founder and lead of Second Image) and he's a fellow presenter on the radio station I work for. Just released a new album as it happens and will be doing a PA this Friday at The Chichester Hotel, Wickord. :Thumbs up:

Really under-rated band were Second Image.

Wasn't Robbie Vincent their manager at one time?

Which radio station, if you don't mind me asking, Bielzibubz?

Zero Radio www.zeroradio.co.uk

Two purpose built fully equipped (BBC supplied) studios based in Hockley.

Run and co-owned by ex resident DJ at Zero 6 and owner of Hollywoods Ian Reading

Had a feeling it would be that station.

Know it well, though haven't listened for a while. Been to a few ZeroRadio gigs at Lords in the past.

An old mate of mine used to DJ on there. Might still. Haven't seen him for a while.

Had a feeling it would be that station.

Know it well, though haven't listened for a while. Been to a few ZeroRadio gigs at Lords in the past.

An old mate of mine used to DJ on there. Might still. Haven't seen him for a while.

Small world. The old Lords 'Killer Soul' nights are back but at a new venue. Tomorrow night at the Chichester on the Rayleigh/Wickford road.

What's your old mates name, he may well still be with us?

I know The Chichester well.

Will have to get down there.

I'll PM you on my mate, as he is also a Southend United man and might log on here, so I wouldn't want to expose his ID, so to speak.

Ok, here's one to test the memory banks that's been bugging me; late 60's there used to be a shop down the High Street on the right, past Woolies as you head towards the seafront. It was just before Alexandra Road and opposite, if I recall, was B.H.S. It sold a wide variety of items, had a centre glass display unit with entrances both sides of that unit.

The reason for asking is whilst flicking through the tv channels the other day, an old black and white film was on and all these youngsters were listening to records in individual sound booths and I was thinking "that rings a bell, I'm bl**dy sure they had something like that" in whatever that shop was I've described above. I seem to recall the booths/record area was removed to make way for, I dunno, lawnmowers or somesuch. Tell me I didn't dream it but what's the blessed shop name ? Pretty sure it wasn't Baxters - wasn't that a gift shop kinda place further down on the left ?

I only ask as I haven't been down the High Street since - crikey, what - 1974 ? :Stunned:

Ok, here's one to test the memory banks that's been bugging me; late 60's there used to be a shop down the High Street on the right, past Woolies as you head towards the seafront. It was just before Alexandra Road and opposite, if I recall, was B.H.S. It sold a wide variety of items, had a centre glass display unit with entrances both sides of that unit.

The reason for asking is whilst flicking through the tv channels the other day, an old black and white film was on and all these youngsters were listening to records in individual sound booths and I was thinking "that rings a bell, I'm bl**dy sure they had something like that" in whatever that shop was I've described above. I seem to recall the booths/record area was removed to make way for, I dunno, lawnmowers or somesuch. Tell me I didn't dream it but what's the blessed shop name ? Pretty sure it wasn't Baxters - wasn't that a gift shop kinda place further down on the left ?

I only ask as I haven't been down the High Street since - crikey, what - 1974 ? :Stunned:
Owen Wallis?

Was just going to post the same thing, though I thought Owen Wallis was more opposite M&S?

Next to Woolies on that corner was the bottom Alex pub, I thought?

29.jpeg

Top end of High Street around mid 1950's....

Best shot of Owen Wallis I could find :-

Attachments

• 7939613756_8116cc9183_b.jpg
    7939613756_8116cc9183_b.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 23
Love it - slipped into stealth mode to look like a No.7 bus. Neat Jag following up too....(or is that a Daimler ?).

Last edited:
Owen Wallis was the ironmongers and also sold toys at 59/61 High Street, they used to sell model kits upstairs, I spend may an hour looking at all the latest kits up there.

8426296551_26e2daa20f_b.jpg

The old Owen Wallis shop is now up For Sale @ £750,000 and is empty, sign about shop "mkone"

40008700327YTMA.jpg

Back