• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-1 Boreham Wood

Next Game Drive home, via Old A130, Woodham Ferrers,Maldon, Heybridge,Goldhanger, Tolleshunt D’Arcy, Great Wigborough, Pelion, up into Colchester via Mersey Road, up to Tesco on A133 Big Roundabout, through Elmstead Market- turn Right for Brightlingsea. Much Quicker, no traffic xx

Why not park at Burnham and get the ferry across. Then car club with some king soul from Canewdon.

Just seen the highlights, Ndlovu's first challenge is a straight red as I thought at the time, potential leg breaker.

The other challenges also deserved red cards which they did get.

Also just to add I would not shed a single tear if one of these Boreham Wood players gets some of their own treatment in their future games. ****ing disgraceful team.
Ndlovu means elephant. We had a chap in our office called Ndlovu. I tried to get the pronunciation right out of politeness and all he did was laugh. Sibanda means lion or big cat.

When I got to it, Police blocked off access from that funky roundabout back down to the A12, so everyone was going through Boreham. I crawled along that round which was parallel to the A12 that was flowing nicely lol.

Got to a junction after about 45 mins with access to the A12 but only for traffic coming the other way through Boreham, did a bit of a naughty u-turn, A12 back up to that bloody chelmsford roundabout. Was gutted as I'd ended up where I joined a 45 min queue, but the police had gone and thankfully could rejoin the A12 from there.

Looked like there was another accident with a bike which is why the police were blocking it at the time. Annoying though!!
The A12 really is the road to hell

I was eavesdropping.

“You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talkin' to? You talkin' to me? Well I'm the only one here. Maher out."

I don't know why so many people on SZ seem to think 4-4-2 is a magic formation, it was popular until someone noticed that if you stuck an extra man in midfield then you could mark the opposition midfielders out of the game with ease. In general it only works with long ball or counter attacking football now, neither of which we want to do.
4-4-2 isn't magic, never thought it was. But, this trying to play out from the back like we're in the Premier League won't work in this league, and the players simply aren't good enough. The current setup is pass, pass, pass...and it's usually sideways or backwards. I just think that a more direct approach would suit our players better. Get the ball out wide and get crosses in, put bodies in the box. It's something that's sadly lacking at the moment.

4-4-2 isn't magic, never thought it was. But, this trying to play out from the back like we're in the Premier League won't work in this league, and the players simply aren't good enough. The current setup is pass, pass, pass...and it's usually sideways or backwards. I just think that a more direct approach would suit our players better. Get the ball out wide and get crosses in, put bodies in the box. It's something that's sadly lacking at the moment.
We can do this without sacrificing the way the management team wants to play. We saw at times last season that it can work if the instructions are followed. I like the way they want to do it. It ain't supposed to be no Kevin Bond style of playing out from the back, super slow. It relies on the wide centre backs carrying the ball out and some quick passing through the lines. Very different, and looked great when we got it right last season. I think it can be pretty effective if we get it right. They've been working on it during pre-season and changing now could be more detrimental in a lot of ways.

Last edited:
I thought on Saturday that one of the Centre Backs could have been substituted for a more attacking player once Ndlovu went off as they weren't pushing up at all. In effect we simply push ours further forward though and if you look at the highlights, the cross for our best effort on goal (Wreh's header) actually came from Hobson.

I thought on Saturday that one of the Centre Backs could have been substituted for a more attacking player once Ndlovu went off as they weren't pushing up at all. In effect we simply push ours further forward though and if you look at the highlights, the cross for our best effort on goal (Wreh's header) actually came from Hobson.
Was a good cross as well

You just explained Newman and Little's style of play, funny how Kev was instrumental to that style of play back in those days until Brush told him to look up and plant a pass to our forwards instead of a sideways pass to the full back to hoof it up front for the opponents defenders to clear every time!
I really don't understand possession football at this level, unless you have Premiership quality players!!

I actually thought putting Hobson up top once they went down to 10 might not have been a bad idea, give us a presence up top, and I think he used to play there in his early career?

That would have been my choice anyway (see what I did there)

I actually thought putting Hobson up top once they went down to 10 might not have been a bad idea, give us a presence up top, and I think he used to play there in his early career?

That would have been my choice anyway (see what I did there)
Not a bad shout - we used to do the same to good effect with Keith Dublin and Roy McD.

Referee was dreadful. But we need to start dishing the same out to the opposition to protect ourselves because the refs won't.

We risked two broken legs and one potential head injury by not standing up for ourselves.

That first tackle from Ndlovu we should be all over the ref. Credit to Demetriou he never lets anything slide on a football pitch and hopefully he'll add some much needed voice to the team when he returns.
Considering some of the tackles flying in I thought the crowd was very quiet. Not sure why, but the atmosphere was flat.

You’re right about JD, he’s slated by many but he always gives his all and will always call out the ref and stand up for his own team mates. We need to find a few more like that. No good knocking the ball around nicely if we’re bullied on the pitch.

Back