• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

mildy - 7.5 one very good save. could do nothing about the goals.

francis - 3.5 terrible game, so aother one to add to his list
clarke - 8 threw everything he had into todays game. fair play to him.
dorian - 8.5 this bloke is a class act, solid throughout the game
barrett - 6.5 per usual gave it his all

moussa - 6 not a bad game but did very little
grant - 6.5 few great tackles and did his bit for team, but the midfield was left with too many empty spaces
macca - 6.5 same as grant
scannell - 7 actually thought that was his game for us, got round lewington on quite a few occassions, no end product though

theo 7.5 - endless running and a great shot early in the game. shocking that he got subbed.
barny 6 - un-noticed again unfortunately.

tilly - very poor decisions to take scannell and theo off, especially theo due to him being our only natural goal scorer.

Thought we were very flat today, almost as if we'd conceded the play-offs and had nothing to play for.

MK were pretty average and our lack of any physical presence up front was telling. That said, when Laurent came on, he was awful (as was Freedman).

Dunno why Tilly didnt go for it and leave Robinson on and play 3 up for the final part of the match?

Francis had another shocker. How many chances is this guy gonna get in the side? Urgh. Not many came out with any praise really - Dorian was in a different league, Mildy did as much as he could (think people are underplaying his save, was excellent) and Grant first half especially was good.

Just a weird atmosphere around the game today, players seemed flat, no atmosphere in the ground really - South Upper was very quiet and its almost as if the 2-0 reverse was expected... not any fight of a team chasing that last chance of glory.

Interesting that Paul, had some sad news this evening, and for anyone that sits in South Upper behind the goal, you might have noticed the absence of one of the stalwarts up there. Paul Chidgey, sat dead centre 5th or 6th row, sadly passed away yesterday evening after suffering an apparent heart attack after playing a regular game of squash. A former colleague of mine and only 50 years of age, a big bear of a man, with a beard and glasses, and an absolute heart of gold. Have raised a glass to him tonight in silent tribute to the many conversations we had at school about our beloved Southend. RIP Paul, you'll be very sadly missed.

Interesting that Paul, had some sad news this evening, and for anyone that sits in South Upper behind the goal, you might have noticed the absence of one of the stalwarts up there. Paul Chidgey, sat dead centre 5th or 6th row, sadly passed away yesterday evening after suffering an apparent heart attack after playing a regular game of squash. A former colleague of mine and only 50 years of age, a big bear of a man, with a beard and glasses, and an absolute heart of gold. Have raised a glass to him tonight in silent tribute to the many conversations we had at school about our beloved Southend. RIP Paul, you'll be very sadly missed.

Oh crap, no age to die. RIP Paul.

Hearing news like that puts everything into perspective. God Bless Paul and sad condolences to all his friends and family.

Milds - Good performance, couldn't stop 1st goal - 8
Francis - Woeful a joke, out in the summer - 3
Clarke - Rock, we must keep him - 8.5
Dervitte - Sign him up - 8.5
Barrett - Quiet today but ok - 7.5
Moussa - in and out of the game, still think we need a Left winger - 8
Macca - little disappointing, but improved - 7.5
Grant - Wonderful, played out of his skin. He looked class - 9 MOM
Scannell - hated him 3 weeks ago, starting to like him played really well doesn't deserve all the cr*p at the moment - 8.5
Barnard - no benefit can't remember him touching the ball much - 7
Robinson - quality when on the ball but needs a decent partner - 7.5

Subs
Freedman - not up to speed thinking we should get Furlong back - 6
Laurent - shadow of the player earlier in the season - 6
Betsy - average, did more than the other two subs - 6.5

Ref - 6 - thought the ball didn't cross the line, one penalty for sure but he let the game flow too much and was inconsistent. Should of booked their goalie for time wasting.

Crowd - 7 - 10,000+ not bad.

Who? photographic identification is needed as I am useless with names!

Who? photographic identification is needed as I am useless with names!

I haven't got any photos I'm afraid, he was a Trust member though and often in the bar before matches. Those that sit in the area would know him.

I thought we played quite well today , didn't take our chances and got caught by a sucker punch , after that we lost our composure chasing the game. Spine of the team is looking quite good now , the down side of that will be Dervite and Robinson going back to their clubs.

Mildenhall - 7 - one great save first half , not much else to do except picking ball out of net twice
Francis - 5 - woeful , seems devoid of confidence, keeps losing ball in bad areas
Clarke - 7 - defensively very good and 100% commitment as usual , however lost count of number of times he aimlessly gave the ball away
Dervite - 8 - absolute quality defender , will miss him badly
Barrett - 6 - looked uncomfortable against MK Dons wide men (Puncheon & Wright)
Scannell - 7 - does look promising , decision making will improve with time I hope
Grant - 9 - MotM for me , won everything and did the simple things really well , one fantastic defensive tackle as last man in the first half epitomised his game
Macca - 7 - not his best game , still gives 100%
Moussa - 6 - not in the game enough
Barnard - 5 - shadow of the player he was last season , too deep and still looks unfit to me
Robinson - 7 - one great effort in the first half , unlucky not to score , still offside too many times for my liking

Subs- 6- not on long enough to make any meaningful contribution

Francis had a shocker, but anyone thought that he may have been suffering from the clash of heads after about 15 minutes? He did look very groggy.

The past few games he has been very good, and all the people slating him will be moaning next year if we let him go and he ends up playing well for another team, just like Hooper, MacDonald etc.

Well, I think you're the only person so far to think he didn't.
Sorry, OBL, but I'm very much with YB. I thought Macca had possibly his worst game in a Blues shirt yesterday, and it was a real shame as he'd been playing very well in recent games. His passing was dire and positionally he was all over the place.

Had we scored in that purple patch in the second half I think we would have won the game but once MK scored we really fizzled out and it emphasised again how much we struggle unless we score first. We started playing aimless long balls which were easily lapped up and MK were also winning the second ball far too often.

Hopefully we can still end the season on a high and prepare for the next campaign. We have the basis of a decent team so if we move wisely in the summer and strengthen the right areas - particularly on the creativity front - we should be in a better position to compete at the top end of the table.

Mildenhall - 7 - Pulled off a fantastic save in the first half, real solid hand from a powerful point blank effort.
Francis - 4 - Really disappointed with that performance, to the extent where I'm happy if he leaves in the summer. Clearly has talents, but can't fit into a position and needs to either learn to defend or move on.
Dervite - 8 - Won everything in the air, dominated the game. Easily MOTM, worrying as he isn't our player.
Clarke - 7 - Did well in the game, no complaints, but I worry about hoe we'll do if he stays on next season when Dervite isn't around.
Barrett - 7 - Nothing major to note, did his job, put his everything in as usual.
Scannell - 6.5 - Tried his best, but he isn't confident to cross the ball.
Grant - 6.5 - Played well, but again missed his tackle for the opening goal that really cost us.
McCormack - 7 - Getting back to his best, but was a little too audascious at times.
Moussa - 6 - Didn't get into the game. Still has that class about him, but didn't get a foothold.
Theo - 7 - Quality hit in the first half, Eastwood esque. Other than that did his shift.
Barnard - 7 - Had a shot cleared off the line, looked reasonably dangerous.

subs:
Freedman - 6.5 - Didn't look like scoring, but did well to set up Laurent for a good chance.
Laurent - 5.5 - Didn't do enough when he came on. Still a good player, just needs a bit of creative service.
Besty - 6 - Nothing noticable, put his effort in though.

Milds - Good performance, couldn't stop 1st goal - 8
Francis - Woeful a joke, out in the summer - 3
Clarke - Rock, we must keep him - 8.5
Dervitte - Sign him up - 8.5
Barrett - Quiet today but ok - 7.5
Moussa - in and out of the game, still think we need a Left winger - 8
Macca - little disappointing, but improved - 7.5
Grant - Wonderful, played out of his skin. He looked class - 9 MOM
Scannell - hated him 3 weeks ago, starting to like him played really well doesn't deserve all the cr*p at the moment - 8.5
Barnard - no benefit can't remember him touching the ball much - 7
Robinson - quality when on the ball but needs a decent partner - 7.5

Subs
Freedman - not up to speed thinking we should get Furlong back - 6
Laurent - shadow of the player earlier in the season - 6
Betsy - average, did more than the other two subs - 6.5

Ref - 6 - thought the ball didn't cross the line, one penalty for sure but he let the game flow too much and was inconsistent. Should of booked their goalie for time wasting.

Crowd - 7 - 10,000+ not bad.

Your ratings are outrageous and reflect as if we won 5-0. Personally i thought barnard played well again yesterday as he has been of late. He holds the ball up well, uses his body and always makes a nuisance of himself. Now ok your entitled to your opinion but how can you say someone had "no benefit can't remember him touching the ball much" and then give him a 7, which is a rating that reflects above average.

And scannel getting a 8.5? as a winger is his job not to set up goalscoring oppotunities? well i can remember 1 occasion where he put a half dangerous cross into the box at that was it. hard work and a couple of flicks do not warrant a 8.5 rating.
There being optimistic and then there is being completely blinkered, the ratings here are of the later.

Thought we were very flat today, almost as if we'd conceded the play-offs and had nothing to play for.

MK were pretty average and our lack of any physical presence up front was telling. That said, when Laurent came on, he was awful (as was Freedman).

Dunno why Tilly didnt go for it and leave Robinson on and play 3 up for the final part of the match?

Francis had another shocker. How many chances is this guy gonna get in the side? Urgh. Not many came out with any praise really - Dorian was in a different league, Mildy did as much as he could (think people are underplaying his save, was excellent) and Grant first half especially was good.

Just a weird atmosphere around the game today, players seemed flat, no atmosphere in the ground really - South Upper was very quiet and its almost as if the 2-0 reverse was expected... not any fight of a team chasing that last chance of glory.

Sorry but i'm sure those sitting in the west/north corner will say something completely different. Non stop singing all the way through. I actually thought the team played quite well today against a very strong, well organised outfit. The only factor in my opinion was our finishing, but that's football for you. On another day we might have scored 4-5.

Mildenhall - 7 Made his best saves when MK ended up being offside, made a few other needed saves. Couldn't be at fault for either goal, nearly got to the second.

Francis - 5.5 Really didn't have much help and looked a bit dodgy a couple of times. He will now have a blinder against Northampton.

Clarke - 8 Solidddddddd

DD - As Above

Barett - 6 Not to bad, nothing to great though.

Scanell - 6 Couple of good runs and balls in, I hope he will turn into the next Gower if given time.

Mccormack - 7 Got stuck in and had a good game.

Grant - As above, really has turned my opinion of him around and looks a good bet for keeping the central spot.

Moussa - 6 Bit quieter than usual, think MK did a good job on him, to many times came infield though.

Theo - 7 Good running, maybe should have scored.

Barnard - 6 He links up well and holds the ball up as well, but needs to start finishing like we know he can.

So, the bubble has burst as i am sure most but the fanatical on here realised it most likely would. This game showed up our woefull inadaquicies across the whole side and whilst the loanees, as well as probably clarke too, start pondering next season with thier respective sides it will be no mean feat if this club manages to tread water by replacing these three let alone improve enough in other positions to pose a serious threat on league 1 next season. quote]

As you seem to be one of life's 'glass half empty' people and I am a 'glass half full' person we are rarely going to agree. You comment on how the 'fanatical' have been proved wrong but given how only a few weeks ago the 'non-fanatical' were tipping us for relegation (as many of them had been since pre-season) it seems to me that the 'fanatical' have got more things right this season than the 'non-fanatical'.
Even after Friday's result we have won 11 out of 15, not bad for a team with 'woeful inadequacies'.
No doubt that the loss of the 2 loanees and Peter Clarke will leave a big hole in our side but I think it is far too early to start writing off next season - after all the prophets of doom were proved wrong last season as well as this.

So, the bubble has burst as i am sure most but the fanatical on here realised it most likely would. This game showed up our woefull inadaquicies across the whole side and whilst the loanees, as well as probably clarke too, start pondering next season with thier respective sides it will be no mean feat if this club manages to tread water by replacing these three let alone improve enough in other positions to pose a serious threat on league 1 next season. quote]

As you seem to be one of life's 'glass half empty' people and I am a 'glass half full' person we are rarely going to agree. You comment on how the 'fanatical' have been proved wrong but given how only a few weeks ago the 'non-fanatical' were tipping us for relegation (as many of them had been since pre-season) it seems to me that the 'fanatical' have got more things right this season than the 'non-fanatical'.
Even after Friday's result we have won 11 out of 15, not bad for a team with 'woeful inadequacies'.
No doubt that the loss of the 2 loanees and Peter Clarke will leave a big hole in our side but I think it is far too early to start writing off next season - after all the prophets of doom were proved wrong last season as well as this.

I'm not gonna argue with you tonight for two reasons.
1 i like teeside and the north east in general and have nothing but good things to say about those folk who live there.
2 my glass after last night has been kept half full and i feel happier for it.

Report from MK's view - they honestly reckon they mugged us judging from most of their comments around, and I don't think I'd disagree with that. This is a very good report, and note that they reckon McCormack was "excellent" ;)

http://www.clubfanzine.com/MK_dons/v2.showNews.php?id=19095

Best and most accurate report of the match I've read yet. They were lucky, we were mugged. Nice display of honesty from the reporter there.

Bit late but...

Mildenhall - 7 - Superb save in the first half, generally played well, could he have done better on the first goal?
Francis - 4 - Poor. Was caught out of position time and again going forward which is fine if you're getting crosses in but he wasn't, I think i counted i decent cross all game.
Barrett - 7 - Solid enough.
Clarke - 8 - Looks so much better with Dervite beside him.
Dervite - 8 - My first time seeing him play, excellent, cool, calm, collected.
Macca - 5 - Terrible first half, indecisive and consequently lost the ball alot, made up for it in second half by being 'average'.
Grant - 8 - First Half he was the best player on the pitch, he was everywhere but faded in the 2nd half, probably because he was covering for Macca in the first half.
Scannell - 5 - Not great, plenty of effort, showed flases of what he can do but that's it.
Moussa - 8 MOM - Rarely lost the ball, was positive and attacking, our one real creative force on the day.
Robinson - 7 - Another first time here, he was impressive, quick and skillful. We didn't use him enough.
Barnard - 7 - Plenty of endeavour but didn't have much impact on the game.

Laurent - Poor.
Freedman - Didn't get in the game enough, would have been better employed as a 3rd striker with Theo & Barney.
Betsy - Did ok in his short time, start him ahead of Scannell please!

Thought Tilly should have gone more positive when we were 1-0 down, by going 3-4-3. MK Dons were there for the taking, I was massively unimpressed with them, you can tell they're managed by an italian, played keep ball, fouled & dived alot.

Back