• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A **** night tryin to scrape positives 6 points plus game in hand play offs still possible

This bit where Smith gets it in the neck routinely is getting to me too.
It's become a tired old crutch for fans to lean on when we lose. He wasn't at fault for any of the goals, and anybody who thinks he was should have a look at the highlights and then explain why in succinct sentences spelling the word 'disappointed' correctly by way of a change.
The comment that suggests Sturrock should get sacked is nothing short of daft.
This was the manager who inherited one player when he took over and has taken the club to the play-offs and Wembley for the first time in its history.
Wake up out there!
These are League Two footballers who will win one, lose one routinely.
They're not that good to be consistent, and that's the way it is fellow fans. I'm waiting for the first comment that blames Smith for the delayed stadium...

This bit where Smith gets it in the neck routinely is getting to me too.
It's become a tired old crutch for fans to lean on when we lose. He wasn't at fault for any of the goals, and anybody who thinks he was should have a look at the highlights and then explain why in succinct sentences spelling the word 'disappointed' correctly by way of a change.
Not seen the highlights, but I'd have expected a keeper to have done better with the first two! I'll have a look later and will apologise if what you're saying is correct.

Smith - 4, two decent reflex saves and kicking and throwing out was better
Clohessy - 5, tried hard but got little support and Wimbledon had done their homework and marked him closely on the attack
Cresswell - 4, one of Cressy's poorest games, got mixed up with Smith for (I think it was) the 1st goal
Prosser - 5, slightly better than Cresswell, at least his suspension will be got out of the way now
Straker - 3, their #16 just ripped him to pieces time and time again, defensively, he's not very good
Hurst - 4, too lightweight, doesn't tackle anywhere near enough. Crosses are generally excellent when he makes them but everything else was sub standard
Leonard - 6, was quite impressed with his contribution, and then he was subbed at half time! Anyone know why?
Lund - 6, MOTM, I thought Lund had probably the best game of them, he put himself about and tried to keep momentum going. Have no idea why someone near me shouted at him to "go back to Stoke!"
Spillane - 4, crowd got on his back and he was making mistakes, no more, no less than others, but once they got on at him, his game was lost
Mohsni - 3 for the 1st half, 7 for the 2nd. Defensively much better than he was in midfield or attack. He was that frustrating ambling, sulking unit in the 1st half as he clearly wasn't happy at the role he was playing - berated Hurst for not passing to him but having a shot. Trudged off the pitch at half time a good 5 mins after everyone else. I wanted him subbed at half time!!
Assombalonga - 6, thought he did ok, tried to play the same game he did Saturday but didn't work against Wimbledon. Kept going, kept trying, can't fault him for effort.

Subs:
Harris for Leonard - 5, yes, some nice touches but in all the time I was watching, he only completed one pass out of about 6, and that's poor!
Corr for Spillane - 6, another who put in a lot of effort. Should have come on when Harris did as far as I'm concerned.
Spicer for Straker - 6, did ok when he came on, another sub that really should have been made earlier. With midfield all over the place, Spicer's experience might have helped the rest.

Officials - did ok, I thought though the ref should have got onto the Dons' keeper about his time wasting.

Got to criticise the tactics though and not happy about the substitutions - both Corr and Spicer were kept waiting for ages before they came on.

Hopefully, Wembley won't be on their minds so much Saturday afternoon.

Smith Absolutely glued, using hard as nails, to his line all night. Couldn't command an army of toy soldiers. 2

Clohessy Good penalty, well struck, but didn't bomb forward as normal tonight. 5
Prosser Not a centre back. Doesn't look comfortable there at all. 4
Cresswell Quiet tonight and didn't look happy or comfortable against a ropey AFC attack. 4
Straker Useless. 1

Hurst Did ok, not up to his normal standard, but did show effort. 5
Spillane ???? Not sure what he is actually about. 3
Lund Put effort in, but again didn't look comfortable. 4

Mohsni Played in three positions tonight. Not a proper striker, nor left mid. Didn't seemed to know what he was being asked to do. 4
Assomalonga Inept and disinterested. 3

Sturrock Tactically woeful and in need of a rest. 3
This is about right, worse performance since the PS reign began? The players seemed like a group of strangers and the lack of character on conceding so quick after the pen and after the half time break was schoolboy.
Just like at the start of the season we displayed a hole where the midfield should be, and a clueless situation at left back and centre left: between Luke and Straker there was always SO much room it was if they were under orders not to communicate or work together.

Smith - sort of ok
Clohessy - tried
Creswell - tried
Prosser - tried
Straker - tried but not really good enough

Spilane - gutless, weak, unbelievably useless
Lund - would be alright next to Laird
Leonard - ineffective going forward
Hurst - couple of good crosses, imagine if we didn't have him...
Mohsni - classy in patches, but plays on a leash so isn't as effective

Britt - cba if its not going his way

Harris - hmm
Corr - tried
Spicer - did ok but why no Eastwood?

The most ineffective midfield three ever in Lund, Spilane and Leonard.

What a joke!

But that's what happens when you lose Laird, Tomlin and Timlin for a long period.

They deserved it.

Even though we deserved nothing we still had chances to get at least a point, but we were really pathetic.

The only players to put in average (acceptable) performances last night were Mohsni, Lund, Clohessy and Prosser - everyone else was below average and Spillane was quite frankly appalling! Harris had 45 minutes to impress last night and looked completely past it - time he retired. Not sure what Freddy has done to upset Luggy, because last time he had any decent pitch time (after Mohsni was sent off v Northampton) he put in a decent shift but now seems to be 5th choice striker.

My team for Saturday, for what it's worth:

Smith​

Clohessy Mohsni Cresswell Prosser

Hurst Lund Laird Reeves

Corr Assombalonga​

Also, it wasnt only the players would couldn't be bothered, the fans also couldn't! Sums it up the loudest part of the evening was the booing, (which the team deserved).

And usually the tactics or subs from PS are game changing last night it was like me desperately trying to salvage the game on football manager bringing on players with no real plan!

Disjointed from start to finish!

disgrace...

Last night was one of the most gutless clueless displays I have EVER seen

A good friend of mine on facebook summed it up....

What a gutless display. Beat Port Vale who are 2nd and then lose to 2nd bottom.

None of them deserve their place at Wembley.

Fans went down and cleared that pitch for those ******s to play on while they sat on their arses at home and we get a shambolic display in return.

Indeed I did not see the players down there helping!

SOD the JPT we want promotion!!!!!!!

The longevity of this club will be created via promotion not paint pot finals

Deserve their wages?? dont make me laugh! they should all be fined 2 weeks for this shambolic performance.

I also notice after the final whistle how quickly the players ****ed off with only Cresswell and Clohessy having the decency to clap the fans for coming out in the bitter cold!!!

****ing ***** the lot of em

It was embarrassing. I feel sorry for those that went to clear the pitch.

2 games in a row now Assombalonga has cried like a bitch because he didn't take the penalties. Leave that in the dressing room please and up your game on the pitch and them you might get put on them.

Last night was the worst display I have ever seen from a Southend side. Only 1 man wanted it and that's a man who's only been back here a month!!

Im amazed by the number of people that are praising Moshni. Where i was sitting we all thought he was shocking. He didnt put any effort in during the first half, gave no support what so ever to Britt who was isolated. Second half he provided no cover for Straker who was clearly struggling to cope with the right winger. The only time he got involved was when he went back to centre back, which is where i would play him if at all. Although there are calls for PS to go which i think is laughable, i would question why Corr is not starting. The guy has been thorugh hell the past two seasons yet when called upon this season in Tomlins absence and for a while Britt he has never let us down.

One other thing, looking back a two or three months our starting line up would have included, Phillips, Barker, Mkandawire, Timlin adn Tomlin. All first cjoice players. Any team would struggle to lose that many from a squad. However, if anyone can explain how we can win at Chesterfiled, Rotherham, Port Vale, Cheltenham , Wycombe etc yet be so poor at home to the likes of BArnet, Aldershot, Wimbledon, Accrington then please do. PS mentioned last night that it could be a mental thing, well is that down to the MAnager or individuals?

It was embarrassing. I feel sorry for those that went to clear the pitch.

2 games in a row now Assombalonga has cried like a bitch because he didn't take the penalties. Leave that in the dressing room please and up your game on the pitch and them you might get put on them.

Last night was the worst display I have ever seen from a Southend side. Only 1 man wanted it and that's a man who's only been back here a month!!

i assume you mean Moshni, who was basically a passenger for about 80 mins of the game, put no effort in, didnt help or support Britt once when playing upfront. Why all this loving for the guy, he should have been sacked months ago for what he did. It makes me sick to think he might end up in the team for Wembley, he deserves nothing other than his P45.

..and how must the other players feel, when he walks straight back into the starting line-up ?

[/B]i assume you mean Moshni, who was basically a passenger for about 80 mins of the game, put no effort in, didnt help or support Britt once when playing upfront.

What was he meant to do ? Lift him up so he could reach those high balls pumped over his head?

One man, more than any other was to blame for that debacle and it certainly wasn't Mohsni ( ... nor Smith).

He said "we weren't up for the fight tonight". Well I'm sorry, but if he can't get the players motivated he's not up to the job. Just telling it like it is afterwards is not enough (we could all do that). Tactics, substitutions, attitude, commitment all found wanting.

He's the best player at the club.

Sorry cant agree with that at all. the likes of Clohessy, Cresswell and Hurst are consistently better than this freak. Anyone who thinks BM is the answer to our problems has no idea about team sport, spirit etc. Im not excusing anyone from last night and BM certainly wasnt the only one to blame, apart from Smith who had no chance with the goals everyone of them was poor.

Really dont understand why Corr isnt starting at the moment, far more effective than BM, who when he actually played at the back looked excellant again

Tactically speaking, I am not one of the most knowledgable people around. Whilst I am usually a strong supporter of Paul Sturrock I did find it baffling that we started last night's 'must win' game with just Britt up front. What was the risk of being more attacking?..............the fear that we could lose 1-3??? Was BBBC not fit enough for ninety minutes?.....if that wasn't the case, surely he should have started as Britt's partner. (even Bilel could have been better there than moping out wide). I'd also be interested to hear the thinking of puting Harris on first, instead of BBBC. However, even this doesn't explain away the reason for what I heard as one of the most lamentable performances of the season........perhaps the answer lies elsewhere?

Back