• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-0 Colchester United

I think it’s pretty well documented that the financial agreement ratified by the Council at the start of the month released substantial funds into Ron World. The embargo couldn’t be paid by either the club or RM because there was no liquidity anywhere. It wasn’t a choice to to keep the embargo as long as we did, it was a necessity.

With 25 minutes gone I was just waiting for Che Wilson to pop up with another goal.

Love how ANG glides past players, love how Kyle Taylor played first half and love the reaction at the handbags at the end.

Just two goals conceded in the last 5 matches now. And with that defensive platform players feel more comfortable to get forward and to not snatch at chances and we're starting to rectify our goal difference.

We now need to start introducing some building blocks for next season - Kyle Taylor and Olayinka will then be back at their parent clubs, it may be a season too far for McCormack and White (who have spent most of this season injured anyway) and maybe even for Demi (who's also out of contract and budget). Oxley will presumably be off (he's out of contract and expensive), Bwomono is likely to look at playing at a higher level.

Nathaniel-George seems to be one - although he does need to work on his end product his ability to beat a man adds a whole extra dimension to us. Akinola hopefully can be another. Hobson is emerging as a centre-half. Maybe Jake McCarthy will sign to be the centre-mid. I'd expect the team to look quite different by the end of the season but that can now be a process of evolution rather than revolution and for now we can enjoy being a competitive team and, of course, the only one in Essex.

Great professional performance all round. We need to keep this performance going consistently now to avoid relegation. Most had a solid to good game. John White gives a headache for Jan. When he plays like this you wouldn’t drop him but can he be fit enough to take a place on the payroll as although out of embargo cash will remain tight.

I think the fact that John White is always captain when he plays tells you that he will be given another contract . Faultless performance from him today ....

With 25 minutes gone I was just waiting for Che Wilson to pop up with another goal.

Love how ANG glides past players, love how Kyle Taylor played first half and love the reaction at the handbags at the end.

Just two goals conceded in the last 5 matches now. And with that defensive platform players feel more comfortable to get forward and to not snatch at chances and we're starting to rectify our goal difference.

We now need to start introducing some building blocks for next season - Kyle Taylor and Olayinka will then be back at their parent clubs, it may be a season too far for McCormack and White (who have spent most of this season injured anyway) and maybe even for Demi (who's also out of contract and budget). Oxley will presumably be off (he's out of contract and expensive), Bwomono is likely to look at playing at a higher level.

Nathaniel-George seems to be one - although he does need to work on his end product his ability to beat a man adds a whole extra dimension to us. Akinola hopefully can be another. Hobson is emerging as a centre-half. Maybe Jake McCarthy will sign to be the centre-mid. I'd expect the team to look quite different by the end of the season but that can now be a process of evolution rather than revolution and for now we can enjoy being a competitive team and, of course, the only one in Essex.

Thats an interesting point you make about starting the rebuild in January. I’ve just been having this conversation with @Bearded Shrimper about the importance of the January window to our season. John White, Macca, Olayinka and Kyle Taylor all could potentially leave. I hear what you’re saying about the fact they’re not long term solutions. BUT currently they are the spine of our recovering side. If we replace them with younger players with better long term prospects that don’t hit the ground running, it could be fatal for us.

Not an easy call. Personally I’d try and secure those 4 til the end of the season plus add one or two more with options for next year. The here and now is pretty bloody important.

Ladies and gentleman we now have a football team. UTB

Ox 7 Very comfortable performance couple of good saves and took 3 or 4 high balls well, Better kicking , more commanding voice, ballocking defenders to keep them on their Toes

Bwomono good and steady more defensive display 7

White Captains display, MOM 9 Possibly unnoticed just how many key skilful interventions he made, Great Organisor, who in their right mind would not extend his contract at this level?

Hobson, 8 excellent growing into some player. good headers and valuable boots into touch for safety on many occasions

Hart 8 Another busy and battling all round display, some very good crosses

Ebgri 6 Not quite getting in amongst them as much as usual, still held them up well and went on some good runs, but a few misplaced key passes

Dieng 8 very good performance given another change of role, got forward well, excellent goal. creates headaches for his leaping when we attack

Demi 6 Missing a bit didn't get to touch the ball a lot, usual chirping and a 3 silly fouls gave free kicks in dangerous positions, still kicking ball away but got away with it as well as a blatant push in the back in front of ref, but still a bit of presence, and organisational nouse first to get over to MM each time a break in play

Taylor 8., close to perfect display for a midfielder especially in first half, good interceptions, flare and attacking instincts

Akinola 9 Excellent skills and movement opened them up at every opportunity, Well taken goal

ANG 8 amazing ability to dribble past people and wrong foot them real fun to watch,

Just a perfect Boxing Day derby like back in 2015 fellow Shrimpers. Shame my ticket wasn't used! Onwards and upwards.

Congratulations to MM for learning the error of his ways.

Col U set up and played like we did up to about six games ago and it got them where it got us. Nowhere.

Keep playing that style and they'll be down in the doggy do with us.

We actually played like a proper football team today and long may that continue. Keep playing in that manner and we should just about escape but don't underestimate the **** we are still in. We'd still be relegated on PPG if the season stopped now and we've got two very difficult away games next.

Can't be bothered to think about that now COS WE STUFFED THE SHEEP.

Well done Blues.

Congratulations to MM for learning the error of his ways.

Col U set up and played like we did up to about six games ago and it got them where it got us. Nowhere.

Keep playing that style and they'll be down in the doggy do with us.

We actually played like a proper football team today and long may that continue. Keep playing in that manner and we should just about escape but don't underestimate the **** we are still in. We'd still be relegated on PPG if the season stopped now and we've got two very difficult away games next.

Can't be bothered to think about that now COS WE STUFFED THE SHEEP.

Well done Blues.

Thats an interesting point you make about starting the rebuild in January. I’ve just been having this conversation with @Bearded Shrimper about the importance of the January window to our season. John White, Macca, Olayinka and Kyle Taylor all could potentially leave. I hear what you’re saying about the fact they’re not long term solutions. BUT currently they are the spine of our recovering side. If we replace them with younger players with better long term prospects that don’t hit the ground running, it could be fatal for us.

Not an easy call. Personally I’d try and secure those 4 til the end of the season plus add one or two more with options for next year. The here and now is pretty bloody important.

My point was more that we should begin transitioning not finish transitioning and so I'd like to keep those four whilst having a succession plan in place. Someone like McCormack is clearly still valuable to us but he's not going to be playing 90 minutes often (he's done so twice since joining us before the second game of the season). Ideally we make it a seamless transition whereby we get his replacement in and slowly build up his time whilst reducing McCormack's. If McCarthy is his successor though, maybe that's a move we have to wait until the summer when he's out of contract and, unlike last season, over 24 so we won't have to pay compensation.

If we take Hobson as White's long term successor, he took time to adjust. It would have been preferable to have eased him in rather than have thrown him in immediately and struggle. It's also much easier fitting someone into a winning side than a struggling side so now is a good time to try and ease players in.

ps No Klass today on the bench. Was MM just unimpressed with his performance v Mansfield or was he injured?

I’d break the game into 3 sections , first 35 mins the tempo was superb , we bullied , bartered and shell shocked Col U and effectively earned the right to win the game .
Next 10 mins was crucial as 2 months ago we would of conceded ground and invited them onto us , we kept a fairly high line and defended superbly .
Second half was solid and professional , wasn’t the tempo of the first half but we countered well and could of killed them off .
MM now has a league 2 game plan and he is a fast learner as are some of our younger players - the presses we were doing at times was class and again like many of my previous posts .....this is league two and if u pressure league 2 players and play in their half you will notice results .

Ox 7 - done everything asked of him
Elvis 7 - as above
Hobson 8.5 - yes man we now have a defender that defends and turns the oppositions line and enables us to regroup
White - 8 solid and made some crucial interceptions
Hart 8- I think this lad is infectious , he triggers so much confidence around him and puts a shift in .
ANG 8 - really tidy on the ball and has something about him , end product needs working on
Egbri 7 - quieter first half , he does nick us yards when he breaks and travels at pace , end product is poor
Demi 7 - usual Demi performance
Taylor 8 - quick feet , quick brain , triggered a lot of presses with his energy today
Dieng 8 - that’s more like it Timothy - so much better going forward and decent goal
Akinola 8.5 - the glue that makes it all work , what a gem he is and works hard for the team , intelligent , strong and willing to fight the CB’s to nick silly little fouls

Subs 5 - no real impact

Note for the ref , thought he let the game flow today , got a few bits wrong but let players use a bit of physical presence

Didn't watch the game as I thought it was a 3pm ko but what a fantastic result. What a fantastic run of results. For MM to turn this ship around is an incredible achievement. Unbelievable really. How often do you see this happen at any club? And he didn't hide or blame anyone.

Long, long way to go though. We will never be free of the spectre of relegation this season-- we'll always be close to the drop because our start was SO awful-- but at least we now have a fighting chance of maintaining our proud record of never bring relegated to non league. I think we'll be stronger because we have come through this.

Like everyone else, a very enjoyable afternoon watching a steely Blues hump the ineffective Ewes. I did think this was a likely outcome as we are showing a professional resilience that I questioned Col Ewe would not be able to match. I am worried about this January as this is where MM has to make some key decisions about the out of contract players and who he helps to sign up. How much of the resurgence is down to MM or the old Pros' taking a grip of the set up (including Fagan) and dictating play and methods. I wish MM well, but this January will break or make him.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed Clarky's comments today, sparring a little with Gregory, great fun. Gems heard were when Egbri showed reluctance to give a dead ball over to the keeper at the end of the first half. I swear I heard an loud off mic comment "No, let 'em get it themselves" .
Then there was the dance around the two Col Ewe defenders along the bye line by ANG, of which the first sheep worrier just stood there as ANG ran on, Clarky said to Gregory. I bet you wouldn't have tolerated that, you would have punched him in the face for that....

Last edited:

Currently in automatic promotion form!

Brilliant result and fully deserved. Hobson, ANG, Taylor, Hart and Akinola all had great games, but no one really had a poor game. Really liking this squad at the moment. Egbri looks better each game and that performance was without Macca and Olayinka. Well done you Blues. And now... we get ****ed ?

Man of the match goes to Molesley. Now that he has had the shackles taken off with the embargo lifted, he is able to field the players he wants - and bring in others. Others may have walked the way his hands have been tied but he hung in there, changed the style we’re playing and with new players we’re now seeing the results. We now look like a team that can compete and made Col U look very poor.

Watched the game on I Follow and some brief thoughts:
although missing some who could be described as 'key players' ie Oliyanka, McCormack and Clifford it seemed to make little difference, as, from the kick off, we looked an organised, balanced and determined oufit.
Our performance was light years away from even just two months ago. It is amazing what a little self belief will do.
Thought our defence was tough and uncompromising, and, looked hard to play against. We seem a fit side also as every time I looked at my screen there blue shirts everywhere. When we were in possession players worked hard to give the man on the ball more than one option.
The players:
Oxley: kept goal well while the length of his kicking was impressive. He was all I would ask or expect from him;
Elvis: a solid performance, and totally unrecognisable from the guy who was wearing the 2 shirt a few weeks ago.....like many on here I am not always convinced about his defending;
JW: some great interceptions and good positional play. As a unit the defence looked awesome and he can take some of the credit for that;
Shaun Hobson; committed, no nonsense and effective....always a physical presence in our defence and during our set pieces put himself about a bit up front;
Sam Hart; committed. energetic and physical. Defended well for the most part while his charges down the left caused them no end of panic especially in the first half;
TE: ran about a lot but today the end product was lacking. This will happen from time to time with an inexperienced player making his way in the game. He never stops trying and I love him for that;
Kyle Taylor: a commanding display in midfield. He would be the reason that Macca was not missed. His play leading to the second goal was a joy to behold. If he had played for them the result might have been different;
TD: relished his midfield role, put in a shift and took his goal well. I suspect I am not the only one who prefers him in the centre of defence but he was effective today. He has become a valuable part of this team and is another unrecognisable from just a few weeks ago:
JD: was busy in midfield and he must be really annoying to play against as gets around the field a lot and is a very niggly player. Our set pieces have become a real weapon and he seems to be the conductor of that particular orchestra;
ANG: I was really impressed. He is very calm on the ball, a good passer but not afraid to put his foot on it and slow things down when needed. I thought he was excellent, especially in the first half. He is a different type of player from Oliyanka, but, no less effective.
SA: busy, quick and skillfull and the type of player we are all wishing we had in September, October and November. Took his goal well. He and ANG will be causing a few 2nd Division defenders before the season ends.
Subs:
EA: did ok i thought but then I think he is often a little under appreciated;
Holford and Howard: both not on long and let no one down.
Finally a word about our corners and free kicks which are another aspect of our play which has really improved as the season has gone on. Our set pieces are varied and we use our big men well but also slip in other variations to keep the opposition off guard. Every time we had either a corner or free kick, especially early in the game, we looked like we were a chance to score as we caused panic and confusion in the Colchester defence.
That we are now so effective in this aspect of the game must be down to the coaching staff so credit to them. It is a long time since we have been so good at that part of our game.
A great result ensured a Merry Christmas for all Blues supporters.
We still have a long fight ahead of us but as long as keep picking up points we should be ok.
On to Orient!

Back