• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-3 Plymouth Argyle

Plan A: Hoof it to 5 ft 10 Simon Cox against their 6 ft 4 defender, lose the ball, repeat.
Plan B: Non-existent.

We can blame injuries all we like, and it’s of course a big factor, but it doesn’t excuse the half-arsed performance from so called professionals and repetitive, inneffective tactics that Powell made absolutely no effort to change. He blames having to use young players yet senior pros like Turner, White, Dieng, Kightly Hendrie and Mantom (terrible set piece delivery every time) were all awful and let those young players down.

No pace, no tackles, no strength - a recipe for disaster. In his interview on Essex he said he has lost his first choice back five and it shows. However it's midfield which I guess are all asked to cover the dodgy back four - that are just as bad. Loved the tricky ball skills from Lameiras - Then Adams told him to cut it out. Was men against boys again young boys and too old boys. Luton Pompey and Barnsley 3 of the next 4 at home and Bristol R . What's the record number of home defeats in a season .

Charlie looked a proper footballer - don't let the coaches get hold of him .

I’ve been a Southend fan for 23 years; I am used to defeat, I can take defeat and I don’t expect miracles. What I do however expect is for the players that put on the shirt to give their all and have a desire to win. I am fed up of watching this bunch not show that. Injuries are continually masking this problem. Injuries don’t mean that most of that team that play only have to give 60-70% week in week out. Kightly in that second half was visibly the only one with a desire to get the game by the scruff of the neck. The rest of the senior pros hid and it’s not good enough. Why was it left to Charlie Kelman to push their player away from Coxy’s Ear? Why wasn’t a senior player there? Where’s the fighting spirit?

Bishop: Had little to do and was left massively exposed.
Bwomono: Struggled and looks in desperate need of a break from first team football.
Turner: Had a shocker. Hoof.
White: One excellent tackle to make up for his own error starting their move, but I’m not a fan and today’s attempt at making Ladapo look a world beater didn’t help. Dreadful distribution as standard.
Hendrie: Looks completely and utterly bereft of confidence. Started well and then the error broke him.
Mantom: As a captain he does absolutely nothing in a time of need. He trotted around and passed it sideways and backwards. Never got stuck in.
Yearwood: Where has the old Dru gone?! Nothing came off for him and he’ll be going nowhere this month.
Dieng: When the going gets tough Dieng gets going. Very quiet.
Bunn: He had a couple of bursts from the wing, but I didn’t see why we started him on the right when he was so effective from the left against Gillingham.
Hutchinson: Really struggled today. Nothing came off for him, but at least he kept trying to get on the ball.
Cox: When Bunn was down and the players came over for a drink, Coxy said to them “pass it around, come on.” They didn’t listen. It must be so frustrating seeing the ball lumped at his head with no blue shirt keeping him company.

Kightly: Ran his nuts off in the second half and tried to make things happen. We need to find a way to get him firing.
Kelman: Well..........

Probably the worst performance of the season against a very average team. We have ten players injured plus one under suspension. The whole of the first choice back four is missing. Those are the reasons why we are struggling. Playing a 4-5-1 formation is not a problem, teams have won championships doing that! Chris Powell has been dealt an awful hand this season. Hopefully we can get one or two new faces in and with comebacks from some of the injured players we should be able to survive.

Really bad again today. Individually, collectively and from the sidelines. Powell isn't offering anything at the minute. I said a couple of months ago that we need more from him and, if anything, it's got worse.

Hard to see where we go from here, but after Ron's appearance in the dressing room Tuesday & the poor display today, the pressure from above has surely gone up a notch or two for the manager.

He'd probably still be crap if he'd stayed with us, when you look at how absolutely no one in our squad seems capable of shooting aside from the kids (who until recently weren't recieving first team coaching) you have to wonder if instead of investing in players we should be investing in coaches that can teach players how to improve the attacking side of their game.

I think you oversimplying re shooting. Hutchinson Skied a shot early on, he then had three clear cut chances to shoot in the first half and choose to passs each time.

Trying to find positives
Elvis seemed to get angry after the second game and was a real attacking threat from then
Bishop- did little wrong ( the throw to Elvis)
Elvis
Kightly- showed massive desire, did lots right
White- never gave up, couple of great tackles
Cox- normal cox, he must be so fed up, week after week no support
Kelman- everything he did was positive, not just the goal.loved his celebration, he will remember today.

Would like to see their third goal again, I am in W and in the build up to the goal ( the first shot:pass)me and my mate were sure they were offside.

Second goal- I know hendrie has bombed forward, but should we really have been left with turner vs Ladapo? Was it you have to take risks, or was it awful coordination

Last edited:
Constant high balls from defence up to our short centre forward who had two giants for company. Really Really stupid. Hendrie was shocking. Turner awful. Dieng poor. Mantom is no captain. Dru not back to his best, Elvis found wanting. Hutchison tries hard but is young.
White made a couple of fantastic tackles. Cox will run for ever to help the team. Bunn average

Now for Kightly ! Seemed to put more effort into jumping to miss the ball than anything else. Second half he was right infront of me and we were all embarrassed by him. At the end we were 3-2 down and everyone was busting a gut to get onside for the keepers kick. Kightly just strolled back without a care in the world. No passion, no pride

Oh and a tap in from Kelman. :Smile:

We have some of the smallest strikers in the league, but we are still so insistent on pumping it long in a panic.

Horrible football to watch and illustrates the lack of confidence in the team.
Instead of creating flowing moves and retaining possession we have a panic and instinct to clear it? Cox and Bunn are built and thrive off a ball into their feet where they can use their strength to turn and create scoring chances.

We desperately missed Coker and Demi today, getting the ball down. Hutchinson looked uncomfortable in possession today, went forward perfectly but no real end product. I would like Powell to not bench him and give some more youngsters a chance.

Anyone on this thread that says this was the worst performance ever, clearly isn’t a proper fan as they weren’t there on Tuesday

We have some of the smallest strikers in the league, but we are still so insistent on pumping it long in a panic.

Horrible football to watch and illustrates the lack of confidence in the team.
Instead of creating flowing moves and retaining possession we have a panic and instinct to clear it? Cox and Bunn are built and thrive off a ball into their feet where they can use their strength to turn and create scoring chances.

We desperately missed Coker and Demi today, getting the ball down. Hutchinson looked uncomfortable in possession today, went forward perfectly but no real end product. I would like Powell to not bench him and give some more youngsters a chance.

The injuries are covering up what a clueless manager this man really is......hoof to Cox says it all.....gotta go before we go down. He plays the worst football in the whole league, even the ones we beat look like Man City compared to us.....Mr. Demotivator!

If Sherlock Holmes were there today he would struggle to find a clue as to what CP is thinking when the team sheet is prepared. At home against a lower order club and we play one up top! Sorry CP, I know you have problems to deal with, not withstanding injuries, but I cannot back you on this decision.

To call the performance woeful is an insult to woeful. The problem is I can see something in this team and am of the mind that it is twelve months too soon for it to really do the business.

We need to lose a few faces, Turner and Kightly for sure, and probably bring in four new players to make a decent squad. Further to that, Dieng the Drongo, needs a size ten up his 'arris. He was dreadful.

I think, if much of the personnel remains, we will have a good side. Of the more senior players, Mantom can improve, Hyams looked useful at times today and Bunn, if we keep him, is a trier. For me, the real asset is the youth. Bishop has the makings of a fine keeper, Dru is Dru, Bwomono will definitely come good, Hutchinson has promise and Kelman looks a prospect. All very promising but a tad early in their careers.

On to the ratings;

Bishop 6 - Not his best performance by far but the defeat was not all down to him. I like the way he looks for the quick ball out.

Bwomono 5 - He is learning. It was a struggle at times for him today but there is a player in there.

Turner 3 - His days at this level are over.

White 5 - You can never fault his heart or commitment but he is just short of being good enough. Will always look worse with Turner alongside him.

Hendrie 5 - He tried. He failed. I am sure there is more to come from him but not enough went right for him today. He needs a few better players with him in defence.

Dieng 4 - For a player who can make his presence felt, I wasn't sure if he watched the game from the stands. He has the ability to do well but clearly has put it in Rons warchest. Played deep in front of back four but, instead of enforcer, he was more invisible.

Mantom 5 - looked ineffectual. I don't think he ever got out of second gear.

Hyams 7 - I saw more from him today than ever previously. Surprised me and is one to watch. He might well be a better acquisition than I suspected.

Dru 6 - Had flashes of the player he can sometimes be but never really influenced the game.

Hutchinson
6 - I saw something of promise but maybe he is a little lightweight? Deserves more time to prove himself. Tired and predictably substituted.

Cox 6 - He needs another striker alongside him. The only time he had space and time was when he took the penalty. Fluffed too many moments with poor ball control. He deserves a better set up.

Bunn 6 - Looked lively and eager before his injury. Hamstring I believe. Certainly looks as though he could be a very good player.

Subs:

Kightly 5 - He just isn't a game changer for me. He weakened the team coming on.

Kelman 7 - Not on long so can't score him too high but he looked quick, both with his feet and his thinking, was nippy, keen and scored the goal that made my ticket money worth it. When he came on we looked more dangerous. Oh yes, two up top. What a surprise.

Ref: 7 - Got most things right but a little fussy and he gave advantage to Plymouth by taking an age talking to two Plymouth players after the spot kick award. He booked neither and happily Cox maintained the composure to score.

This team will not go down and with some additions I believe next season could be very interesting. However, for that to happen, CP has to grow a pair, especially at home.

The injuries are covering up what a clueless manager this man really is......hoof to Cox says it all.....gotta go before we go down. He plays the worst football in the whole league, even the ones we beat look like Man City compared to us.....Mr. Demotivator!

Is there any manager you do like?

Anyone on this thread that says this was the worst performance ever, clearly isn’t a proper fan as they weren’t there on Tuesday
Aside from the last 10 minutes that was worse than Tuesday for me, at least (after the first minute) we didn't make basic defensive errors in the Checkatrade match.

Firstly, Nathan did top 1 on 1 stop from Lapado first half, looks the part and has grown into being a reliable gk who can play football.
Our defence was poor, both Elvis and Hendrie had poor games, White did a goal saving tackle 1st half but him and Turñer don't have an understanding nor pace to cover when an offside isnt given, as in for Lapado s goal. Who did the push which would have been a pen if PA hadn't got a 3rd straight off?
Midfield, again didn't work and hasn't all the times that those 3 have been played together, so why was it done again?
Bunny, okay but injured, again, as money is so tight maybe he can be released from the loan?
Kites showed more desire than he has for a long time but I am not sure he can do that for a full game.
Hutch, tried things, wanted the ball, wanted to be involved, not much worked for him BUT he TRIED.
Coxy, usual high work rate with little help and ridiculous high balls to him which he had little hope with and he was fed up with it but kept going.
Kelman, wow, the lad has some confidence and the swagger of a young Fred, almost enough to make me go to Bradford.
CP needs help, he needs Moore and Lennon asap, he needs to sort out the midfield, and again he needs to play 2 up top AND he needs to get a smile back into the side as playing with fear is no fun for the players or us suckers watching..

Dieng.

Constant high balls from defence up to our short centre forward who had two giants for company. Really Really stupid. :Smile:

A previous post mentioned that Cox said to the players during Bunn's treatment 'come on lads, pass it about'.
Really don't know what's wrong with them continuing to hoof it, & C.P for using this 'groundhog day' tactic every game.
Simon Cox gives he's all every game, yet must be so frustrated ( as we are ) to fight a lost cause throughout every game?.

If Sherlock Holmes were there today he would struggle to find a clue as to what CP is thinking when the team sheet is prepared. At home against a lower order club and we play one up top! Sorry CP, I know you have problems to deal with, not withstanding injuries, but I cannot back you on this decision.

To call the performance woeful is an insult to woeful. The problem is I can see something in this team and am of the mind that it is twelve months too soon for it to really do the business.

We need to lose a few faces, Turner and Kightly for sure, and probably bring in four new players to make a decent squad. Further to that, Dieng the Drongo, needs a size ten up his 'arris. He was dreadful.

I think, if much of the personnel remains, we will have a good side. Of the more senior players, Mantom can improve, Hyams looked useful at times today and Bunn, if we keep him, is a trier. For me, the real asset is the youth. Bishop has the makings of a fine keeper, Dru is Dru, Bwomono will definitely come good, Hutchinson has promise and Kelman looks a prospect. All very promising but a tad early in their careers.

On to the ratings;

Bishop 6 - Not his best performance by far but the defeat was not all down to him. I like the way he looks for the quick ball out.

Bwomono 5 - He is learning. It was a struggle at times for him today but there is a player in there.

Turner 3 - His days at this level are over.

White 5 - You can never fault his heart or commitment but he is just short of being good enough. Will always look worse with Turner alongside him.

Hendrie 5 - He tried. He failed. I am sure there is more to come from him but not enough went right for him today. He needs a few better players with him in defence.

Dieng 4 - For a player who can make his presence felt, I wasn't sure if he watched the game from the stands. He has the ability to do well but clearly has put it in Rons warchest. Played deep in front of back four but, instead of enforcer, he was more invisible.

Mantom 5 - looked ineffectual. I don't think he ever got out of second gear.

Hyams 7 - I saw more from him today than ever previously. Surprised me and is one to watch. He might well be a better acquisition than I suspected.

Dru 6 - Had flashes of the player he can sometimes be but never really influenced the game.

Hutchinson
6 - I saw something of promise but maybe he is a little lightweight? Deserves more time to prove himself. Tired and predictably substituted.

Cox 6 - He needs another striker alongside him. The only time he had space and time was when he took the penalty. Fluffed too many moments with poor ball control. He deserves a better set up.

Bunn 6 - Looked lively and eager before his injury. Hamstring I believe. Certainly looks as though he could be a very good player.

Subs:

Kightly 5 - He just isn't a game changer for me. He weakened the team coming on.

Kelman 7 - Not on long so can't score him too high but he looked quick, both with his feet and his thinking, was nippy, keen and scored the goal that made my ticket money worth it. When he came on we looked more dangerous. Oh yes, two up top. What a surprise.

Ref: 7 - Got most things right but a little fussy and he gave advantage to Plymouth by taking an age talking to two Plymouth players after the spot kick award. He booked neither and happily Cox maintained the composure to score.

This team will not go down and with some additions I believe next season could be very interesting. However, for that to happen, CP has to grow a pair, especially at home.

Blimey did we have 12 out there no wonder they kept getting in each other's way - I thought Hyam kept his place on the bench very warm today - faultless performance.

Back