• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-3 Plymouth Argyle

Anyone on this thread that says this was the worst performance ever, clearly isn’t a proper fan as they weren’t there on Tuesday
I said it was the worst performance we had seen in the league, probably because I did see the game Tuesday.

But what a goal that was. Almost feel bad for the amount of people who left early and didn’t get to see it, as it was one of the best I’ve seen at Roots Hall. Hats off to the young man.

Certainly no reason to feel bad about those people. It was their choice to stomp off to their cars and so miss not only the goal itself but also the feelgood factor it brought. I can’t be the only one who went home today with the disappointing performance and defeat already out of my mind; for years to come I’ll be able to say I was there for THAT goal. I daresay one or two of those who left are experienced walkers-out, with the Wembley 119th minute already under their belts.

Plan A: Hoof it to 5 ft 10 Simon Cox against their 6 ft 4 defender, lose the ball, repeat.
Plan B: Non-existent.

We can blame injuries all we like, and it’s of course a big factor, but it doesn’t excuse the half-arsed performance from so called professionals and repetitive, inneffective tactics that Powell made absolutely no effort to change. He blames having to use young players yet senior pros like Turner, White, Dieng, Kightly Hendrie and Mantom (terrible set piece delivery every time) were all awful and let those young players down.

Blaming the injuries is becoming so tiresome now. What’s Powell saying, because we have injuries to Hopper, Barrett and Coker we can no longer pass the ball?

Mr Powell get your hand out of your pockets and try to motivate your team, you just lean against the dugout and watch the match go by. Your body language is one of a dummy. Forget injuries great managers in whatever job know how to get the best out of the staff, you clearly have not got a clue and the players have lost faith in you .

On the radio you sound as though your best mate has just died no desire passion or personality no wonder you do not inspire the players, please go now

We missed Moore big style. His pace would have got to the ball for the first goal that white couldn’t get to. He would have chased back with ladapo for the second. His distribution would have helped far more than the two centre backs throughout.

For me, Turner and White are probably just a year too far for league one now. One you can get away with, but they can’t play as a pair for sure.

With Hendrie and Elvis being good enough for back up, we lost the game in defence.

Elsewhere Dieng had a bit of a shocker and Isaac didn’t look ready for me. Dru tried things, a couple came off but others didn’t. His ability is still clear to see.

I still remember the two goals collymore scored on debut, and then the Freddie 7 seconds and hat trick. I wonder...

Blaming the injuries is becoming so tiresome now. What’s Powell saying, because we have injuries to Hopper, Barrett and Coker we can no longer pass the ball?

Many of the 11 who started today are incapable of passing the ball, retaining possession of the ball and certainly can't run past a defender with it - hence they kick it as far as they can.

Blimey did we have 12 out there no wonder they kept getting in each other's way - I thought Hyam kept his place on the bench very warm today - faultless performance.

kept shuffling sideways though!

Here is the danger, Kelman is a youngster, a very promising one at that. I think there is a risk of throwing him in and relying on him too soon. Of course he could prosper but there is also a danger that he could be dragged down to the level we saw from the majority of his team mates today.

You’re quite right. Also, it’s one goal - there may never be another. Needs strong management to decide how much to use him rather than making a kid the first name on the teamsheet when that might do more damage than good.

I was at the game today and I’ve never seen a southend side like that first half lacking ideas on how to play football, Hendrie will know what a bad back pass of a header that was so wont need telling that, if we have so many players that can’t be arsed then let’s play the kids as we have nothing to lose now, Hutchinson will know he can do better and did more than most, yearwood a big off day and is lacking consistency, Bishop the keeper will learn and know he should of done better with the goals he let in and Kelman came on and wanted the ball more than anyone and even scored from the one shot he had from 40 odd yards, maybe time to play more youngsters that want to play and get somewhere in the game.

Poor Charlie Kelman. He has no idea he is probably only 2/3 games away from getting the same abuse that Lapado, Nouble....etc got from the 'Roots Hall faithful'

In the pre match thread I said please don’t play one up front against a side in the relegation zone who leak goals, play people in the correct positions and if in a 442 we need to start with Wabo or Kelman then let’s be brave.

So what do we do..
To be fair on reflection the vast majority on here also picked a side without Wabo and Kelman and also one up front- Cox all on his own. How much evidence we need that doesn’t work I don’t know- but with so many supporting what SCP selected I struggle to be to hard on him.

Anyway Kelman came on, was involved in the first and a bit more involved in the second- so pleased for him.

Rather than get into the game (too depressing really given the lack of ambition) I will say this. Please, please do not now bring in an U23 forward from Tottenham to develop for them ahead of our own talent- if we need U23s in the squad Kelman and Wabo should have priority. All focus, all finances should be focused on an experienced forward who can lead the line- not left backs, more CBs, third right back or a fifth goalkeeper. And please two up front at home.

Losing is part and parcel of being a Southend fan, I’m more than used to it by now BUT what I wont accept is losing like that today. Playing against the team second bottom of the league CP decided to go with one up front, yes we have injuries but if CP feels Kelman is good enough for the bench then he is good enough to start (which he looked every bit as good as ready and scored a worldy as well). For much of the game we showed no fight, no desire which is a real concern. Only when we get a goal back from the spot did we look like we actually wanted to get anything from the game. Questionable lineup and tactics again from CP who left it till we were 3-0 down before making any real changes of note. Players, management and members of the board need to questions about themselves.

This one particularly hurts, losing doesn’t often effect my mood for the rest of the weekend but this one will. I will not accept anything but 100% commitment from the players and today we didn’t get that from the majority of them.

Agree re one up front but only 10% on here voted for either Wabo or Kelman up top with Cox in the pre-match thread, so 90% also thought one up verses Plymouth was the way to go..

If Sherlock Holmes were there today he would struggle to find a clue as to what CP is thinking when the team sheet is prepared. At home against a lower order club and we play one up top! Sorry CP, I know you have problems to deal with, not withstanding injuries, but I cannot back you on this decision.

To call the performance woeful is an insult to woeful. The problem is I can see something in this team and am of the mind that it is twelve months too soon for it to really do the business.

We need to lose a few faces, Turner and Kightly for sure, and probably bring in four new players to make a decent squad. Further to that, Dieng the Drongo, needs a size ten up his 'arris. He was dreadful.

I think, if much of the personnel remains, we will have a good side. Of the more senior players, Mantom can improve, Hyams looked useful at times today and Bunn, if we keep him, is a trier. For me, the real asset is the youth. Bishop has the makings of a fine keeper, Dru is Dru, Bwomono will definitely come good, Hutchinson has promise and Kelman looks a prospect. All very promising but a tad early in their careers.

On to the ratings;

Bishop 6 - Not his best performance by far but the defeat was not all down to him. I like the way he looks for the quick ball out.

Bwomono 5 - He is learning. It was a struggle at times for him today but there is a player in there.

Turner 3 - His days at this level are over.

White 5 - You can never fault his heart or commitment but he is just short of being good enough. Will always look worse with Turner alongside him.

Hendrie 5 - He tried. He failed. I am sure there is more to come from him but not enough went right for him today. He needs a few better players with him in defence.

Dieng 4 - For a player who can make his presence felt, I wasn't sure if he watched the game from the stands. He has the ability to do well but clearly has put it in Rons warchest. Played deep in front of back four but, instead of enforcer, he was more invisible.

Mantom 5 - looked ineffectual. I don't think he ever got out of second gear.

Hyams 7 - I saw more from him today than ever previously. Surprised me and is one to watch. He might well be a better acquisition than I suspected.

Dru 6 - Had flashes of the player he can sometimes be but never really influenced the game.

Hutchinson
6 - I saw something of promise but maybe he is a little lightweight? Deserves more time to prove himself. Tired and predictably substituted.

Cox 6 - He needs another striker alongside him. The only time he had space and time was when he took the penalty. Fluffed too many moments with poor ball control. He deserves a better set up.

Bunn 6 - Looked lively and eager before his injury. Hamstring I believe. Certainly looks as though he could be a very good player.

Subs:

Kightly 5 - He just isn't a game changer for me. He weakened the team coming on.

Kelman 7 - Not on long so can't score him too high but he looked quick, both with his feet and his thinking, was nippy, keen and scored the goal that made my ticket money worth it. When he came on we looked more dangerous. Oh yes, two up top. What a surprise.

Ref: 7 - Got most things right but a little fussy and he gave advantage to Plymouth by taking an age talking to two Plymouth players after the spot kick award. He booked neither and happily Cox maintained the composure to score.

This team will not go down and with some additions I believe next season could be very interesting. However, for that to happen, CP has to grow a pair, especially at home.
I

Hyam didn't even play today, was his warm up at half time that impressive?

Yes, I deleted the mentions as they were lost sarcasm. With Dieng doing so little I wonder what Hyams adds to the squad, or has done wrong, when he can't get on instead.

Still have this remarkable home record that if an away team scores at RH they win the game.

No away team has scored and lost yet or even drawn, in the league.

Back