• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-1 Grimsby Town

Key to this season is keeping olayinka in January. Didn’t set the world alight tonight but is a cut above. Any criticism of acquah is valid tonight, but he is still learning his trade. I still think there is a player in Sterling, just hope he can find his form.
UTB

I agree on Olayinka. Aquah needs to be much more physical, maybe he can learn from what Halford showed. Sterling I don’t see anything & would send him back & get someone else in.

Fair play to MM , he’s got a CB pairing that don’t look like conceding every time the ball goes into the box , he has a few wise heads who killed the game when needed and added some height , aggression and experience .

Hobson was decent tonight and thought Akinola changed the game .
Also a special mention to Egbri who injected some pace and willingness to run at players .

That was a big 15 minute half time chat . Personally I’d lose Sterling , Aqcuah in January and get one decent player in who will add value to the team .

Not pretty at times but effective

Shows how much the embargo has damaged us this season .
A game of two halves and encouraging to see a manager make major changes at half time which effectively created a win.
The old war horses are certainly bringing out the best of the youngsters and its great to see a team spirit showing on the pitch after two years of turmoil.
Still a long way to go but what a pick me up for supporters after a nightmare start to a season.Well done MM and the lads

Great first goal by taylor then we was hanging on! Dominated the second half and and subs made a difference.Egbri seems a good impact player and seems to lift the team! Akinola looks skilful and with games he will start scoring!! Clifford immense and the back four look comfortable.The only negative thing of a really good night and performance was paul clarke being so damn negative on bbc essex!! ,listening to him u would think we had lost the last 2!! Hes out of touch and out of date.

Again Macca helps sew the game up. Tiny Eg snapped at their heels, drew fouls, Akinola, Macca and then Halford provided the physical presence, all of a sudden Grimbo were broke, that lovely crossfield passing suddenly went out of the window and they were sinking like a trawler in trouble.
A jammy goal or two and its all over.

And that me little Shrimpsters, is all it takes at this level !

This is why we've called for the embargo to be lifted for months. To think ive been more depressed than a Col U fan missing out by a point last season.

Credit to MM tonight he’s clearly learning as a young manager but he had the balls to change it and HT and what a difference. I thought they looked really organised first half but after the changes I don’t really recall Oxley having to make a save?

Akinola is a tricky player and one I think we will grow to love watching. Halford looked decent and used his experience well winning fouls up the pitch and I think Acquah can learn a thing or two from him even though he isn’t an out and out striker. Egbri has looked good off of the bench in the past few weeks as well and is a constant nuisance.

MOTM for me was Hobson. Him and Dieng have formed a partnership in recent weeks and looked reasonably solid but tonight I thought he dominated in the air and his distribution in parts was exceptional, notably the ball to Elvis in the second half. He’s growing in confidence as are the entire team.

Back to back wins, a strong(ish) bench, new signings, no embargo, experienced players fit. Call me crazy but I feel slightly optimistic all of a sudden!

I'd doubt if Halford has been signed as a forward.
I agree , but his versatility means MM can move him pretty much anywhere on the pitch as needed. It’s only 1 match in for him but he’s played at a higher level for much of his career & hopefully can still be a pain in the behind against anyone in this league

Yes Grimsby were crap but we only need to be better than 2 sides in this league to stay up and that's good enough for me this season. We need reinforcements in January but this is the first time I can say that I think we'll survive this season.

Were they? Must have been watching a different game, they were all over us for most of the first half and only the bar and some desperate defending kept them out until just before half time when they got a deserved equaliser.

I think the subs at halftime changed the game in our favour and we were much better in the second half. 3-1 flattered us really but if their keeper is gonna drop one like that then I’ll take that every day of the week.

We’ve played better and lost this season IMO so it’s about time our luck changed.

Pleased today because I’m now looking at a squad that has enough quality and depth to compete in this league!!

MM, well done! Made the changes that were needed got it bang on today in the end.

Shan’t rate everyone’s performances but the improvements in the likes of Elvis,Hobson etc is all because of the increased quality in the squad and I’m really pleased. So many options in midfield now, I liked Hoffman up top, Akinola showed obvious quality. I’m finally excited trying to pick out best team!! Also a shout out to JD who honestly deserves huge praise for his consistency and effort this year when so many others would have walked away.

I’m going to finish my post with a tongue and cheek look at my idol Lionel (Terrel) Egbri! I could watch this lad all day. I look forward to him winning the Ballon D’or in a few years.

Messaged a friend at half time to confidently but sadly predict we would lose - what a pundit I am !
Apart from the fantastic start , Grimsby dominated the first half and hit the woodwork a couple of times ( maybe 3 ? ) and sent in endless crosses.
Acquah and Sterling caused them no problems at all.
The introduction of Akinola and Egbri gave us movement and pace and we took over.
Bringing on McCormack and Halford really gave us that nous to control the game - I thought they were both excellent in breaking things up and drawing fouls - good , old pros.
In the end we were worthy winners.
I’ll mention two other things.
In recent weeks I think the return of John White has done a great deal to steady our defence , which was quite awful earlier in the season.
However , in Hobson and Dieng we now have a mobile and commanding pairing who look very solid - I thought Hobson was superb tonight.
The second is that we must try some way to get our fans back in the North Bank as a permanent thing.
I know all the issues about away fan access etc and safety and they are all valid , but I truly think we are losing an advantage by not having the core of our vocal fans behind the goal.
Great night and sadly the last for a while.

Few comments from a Stevenage forum ?
"The fact that we drew to Southend, then they won their next two matches shows how good Sampson is as a coach. In hindsight 0-0 against Southend was a fantastic result."
"Grimsby are just as rubbish as us. Barrow are poor. Southend aren't great. Bradford not brilliant."

Back