• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-3 Fleetwood Town

There must be 30 comments here and on the match thread slating the players fitness.
Let's assume everyone can't be wrong, so what the hell were they doing pre-season?
Half of them haven’t been playing consistently every week, some have barely step foot on the field I’m the last month due to KB’s poor decision making. Cox excluded, bloke is on the road to retirement. What otherwise can you expect?

If Humphrey’s stays fit we have an outside chance of staying up, injured and we are relegation certs.

With 37 games left and say 50 points to stay up with only 3 going down, we need 49 points from 37....that means higher than mid table form for the rest of the season.

It’s going to be a long winter.....

If Humphrey’s stays fit we have an outside chance of staying up, injured and we are relegation certs.

With 37 games left and say 50 points to stay up with only 3 going down, we need 49 points from 37....that means higher than mid table form for the rest of the season.

Don't forget at some stage, sooner rather than later I hope, we will have Hopper back too. An in form and fit Hopper is a massive plus.

As long as we start beating the teams around us we will be fine and on yesterday's showing we can do that. Get a settled team and the defence will soon tighten up too

49 in 37 games is 1.32 points per game.

Fleetwood had 61 points in 46 games for 10th last year.

Going to be tough.

49 in 37 games is 1.32 points per game.

Fleetwood had 61 points in 46 games for 10th last year.

Going to be tough.

But it could be worse, Bolton need 1.62 points per game so they can pretty much be written off, I reckon we could realistically get 4 points out of the next 3 games which could put us in a much better position and is bang on target for what we need to stay up

I know we have a long way to go but I was quite encouraged by the performance. We showed a bit of fight, as opposed to just rolling over.

Positives were Hump & Elvis. Negatives Blackman & Hutchinson (hard for a young rookie in a struggling team)

FLEETWOOD Town boss Joey Barton felt Southend United celebrated Saturday’s stalemate at Roots Hall like they had won a cup tie.

More...

SOUTHEND United striker Stephen Humphrys was pleased to finally give the Shrimpers fans something to cheer about on Saturday.

More...

But it could be worse, Bolton need 1.62 points per game so they can pretty much be written off, I reckon we could realistically get 4 points out of the next 3 games which could put us in a much better position and is bang on target for what we need to stay up

Our run at the end of October and early November will be tough. Doncaster, Pompey, Sunderland and Ipswich

It’s the goalkeepers

LOL, did you see the Fleetwood keeper today? Despite him they are 4th.

If we'd swapped the keepers today it would have been a mullering.

I was just going to post a comment about our midfielders but Paul Clark has summed it up perfectly. The biggest culprit was Hamilton.

Hamilton's been like that all season. He just trots around and doesn't read anything defensively. Everyone was creaming over him because he was from Man U but he's an absolute defensive liability. I knew we'd miss Dru but I wasn't expecting it to be primarily for his defensive game!

Another Freddie Eastwood type forward....don't think we are yet getting the best of him with tactics .Should be left on centre line when we are defending for a quick clearance for him to chase .He has the power and pace to really cause problems. You only have to look at old clips of FE to see how effective this can be,and it also relieves pressure

Forget Eastwood, the one with pace and power was Stanley. Now Humphrys doesn't have his pace but he does have the size to scare defenders better than Peter Clarke (who a decade on it's good to see is still conceding free-kicks that lead to goals) if you let him go one on one with a head of steam.

He'll face better keepers than Gilks though.

There must be 30 comments here and on the match thread slating the players fitness.
Let's assume everyone can't be wrong, so what the hell were they doing pre-season?

Blackman wasn't with us at the start of pre-season, Cox was injured for all of it, McLaughlin is returning from injury. Is anyone else's fitness being questioned?

That said I'm very surprised that our fitness guru was retained over the summer. If nothing else I'd have thought he'd have been made the scapegoat for last season's problems.

Talking of fitness someone near me said they didn't see Russo out on the pitch at all yesterday. Anyone know who the woman leading the warm up before the game and working with the subs out on the pitch at half time was?

A very good hardearned point against one of the most organised sides in our league..

It’s obvious how much potential this squad has, we just need a manager who can play this squad to its strengths and max potential and the reinstall some confidence around the club.

Attacking play wasn’t bad today, just need a clear up of our defence and central midfield. There’s not much communication and often found ourselves caught out multiple times with our wide defenders often being overloaded and punished.

This club under the right management will go very far in this division.

Big shout to McLaughlin, much better today showing some desire winning most if not all his aerial battles.
He was good today! The problem with macouglin is it will take another 5 games before he repeats that performance! One of the most inconsistent players ive ever seen

Talking of fitness someone near me said they didn't see Russo out on the pitch at all yesterday. Anyone know who the woman leading the warm up before the game and working with the subs out on the pitch at half time was?
You mean this woman @blueveined? The one that Coxy and Harry were grinning at like teenagers and the one that moved Mrs RHB to comment 'that young lady should wear proper pants when she's doing that'. Haven't a clue mate.

Training.jpg

Yes I was there watched the match, thought he did ok. People like you just want to have a go at anything (want a scape goat), he was part of a poor back line no worse than any of the rest.

I don’t want a scapegoat. I want a left back that will mark a member of the opposition team when they’re on the attack. I lost count of the amount of times yesterday when Blackman was back in a defensive position with Fleetwood players all around him and he didn’t pick up any of them.

Why do you think he was taken off and Elvis was moved to left back if he wasn’t any worse than anyone else?

That said I'm very surprised that our fitness guru was retained over the summer. If nothing else I'd have thought he'd have been made the scapegoat for last season's problems.

I did notice that Stefano was not there yesterday. We had a female fitness coach who I don’t believe I’ve seen with the match day squad before?

Back