• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United boss Phil Brown unhappy with on loan Norwich and QPR youngsters

Ok, just for a second had we won all games thus far, and PB criticised the pair, would there be so many calling for his head?
You would certainly think if we were continually winning then calling for his head would be unlikely. But of course, if we were winning, we wouldn’t be continually seeing him throw his team to the wolves and that appears to be not just a consistent theme but a major part of the problem.

The thing with Brown is that he has a personality and modus operandum that alienates people. When it’s successful, it’s tolerated (even enabled) but when the wheels come off, it tends to go south very quickly.

Even while I firmly believe the problems don’t start with him and they’re bigger than the manager, I’m rapidly losing any faith that he is the right person to do what’s required and bring a team together. Chucking these two under the bus is just clogging up the same tyres with more bodies.

If he proves me wrong and turns this around, I’ll be absolutely delighted but, as someone said earlier, these dated methods just don’t seem likely to lead to success.

Where did I say lies? Do you believe everything that is printed in the paper or on line?

The role of a reporter/journalist is to report news to sell that produst which can be over exaggerated. I believe Brown said some things but more than likely what was actualy said is somewhere in the middle.
What a load of nonsense. Do you not think PB/any other manager would have had something to say if Chris Phillips was publishing false quotes.

Most of the quotes Chris Phillips posts after games are from the same interviews broadcast for everybody to hear themselves on BBC Essex. Although I suppose you don’t believe that either?

I still think we should have given Fagan the job after SC left, I still think he's the right man for the job.

He knows the squad, he knows the youngsters, he has contacts throughout the game and is young enough to actually understand modern footballers, PB retired from playing in 1996 the game has changed so much in that time

The Chairman needs to intervene quickly. PB has been acting unprofessionally since the summer. Public attacks on the players he is failing to motivate and organise are disastrously counterproductive, and the latest broadside against two young loan players shows that PB feels free to blame everyone else but himself for the debacle that is unfolding.

Article in full.

SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown was disappointed with how his substitutes performed at Torquay United.

Brown brought on the on loan Matt Dennis and Hamzad Kargbo in the second half of Saturday’s 1-0 defeat.

And Brown felt they failed to make the required impact.
“We made the changes, we brought young lads on and they lose their way to a certain extent in the heat of the battle and that can’t be acceptable,” said Brown.
“Matty Dennis and Hamzad Kargbo came on, falling about.

“They didn’t really understand what this division is all about and what this game is all about.
“It’s men and boys.

“That’s describing us not Torquay.
“Sometimes we’ve got men out there sometimes we’ve got boys but as a collective we’re not doing enough to win games.”

To be fair to Brown I can't see him "quoted" say the words unhappy or disappointed. Nothing like a bit of click bait by the Echo to try and attract a bit of traffic to their site.

Brown says it how it is (although sometimes he could be a bit more diplomatic about it) We all sit in the stands and question the substitutions and mumble to ourselves stuff along the lines of these aren't going to be game changers, they don't have much experience etc etc

He had these guys lined up before pre-season started and had them on trial for several weeks while playing them in friendlies and watching them in training. If he isn't happy with them then it is down to him. Shocking manager who is so irrelevant to modern day football that he is blaming everyone but himself.

Seems so unprofessional to me. I don't think many players would want to play for a manager who publicly criticises his players on a regular basis. Good coaches/managers handle these things in private and motivate them to improve their game

So PB is unhappy with two loan signings that he has made. He brought them on because the starting 11, 8 of them his signings, were not good enough. Is he unhappy with himself? Not at all. Should he be? 100% yes.

Crikey Phil. Have you learnt nothing? You sound like a man floundering as your team fails....

That suite at the Roslyn has such a lovely view across the deep blue Thames estuary.
Can't understand why Phil would spoil that view by running down young players he brought into the club

Back