• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United to begin interview process but Adam Barrett is not in the running to be manager

I'm happy to take the job. Perhaps in a joint capacity with Rigsby. If I can do the right juggling we may be able to bring Wiggy in as goalkeeper coach. I have set up Zoom and am awaiting contact. Having witnessed the competence of Bate, Wignall and Bond, I fail to believe we could do any worse.

At least we can put to bed the narrative that he is Southend through and through and would run through brick walls for this club. He was a good player for us but that status always seemed a strange fit when he was an Orient schoolboy (unlike the likes of Gard, Seaden, Phillips etc).

He’s entitled to turn down the huge promotion (being a manager is a massive step up from assistant) but the constant undermining of incumbents to try and get him in the job has to now stop as he’s shown himself not interested. I suspect when accosted in the street he’ll still claim he’d love to come back but the words don’t match the actions.

Football is a fickle game and he may now never get the opportunity to manage anyone let alone Southend. Hopefully the Southend job doesn’t become available for another decade because whoever gets it is committed and successful.
I’m assuming this is ironic?

At least we can put to bed the narrative that he is Southend through and through and would run through brick walls for this club. He was a good player for us but that status always seemed a strange fit when he was an Orient schoolboy (unlike the likes of Gard, Seaden, Phillips etc).

He’s entitled to turn down the huge promotion (being a manager is a massive step up from assistant)
but the constant undermining of incumbents to try and get him in the job has to now stop as he’s shown himself not interested. I suspect when accosted in the street he’ll still claim he’d love to come back but the words don’t match the actions.

Football is a fickle game and he may now never get the opportunity to manage anyone let alone Southend. Hopefully the Southend job doesn’t become available for another decade because whoever gets it is committed and successful.

AB was born, brought up and educated in SOS.He's a local legend,The jury's still out on the kids you menton. .Hardly his fault if the (then) powers that be didn't recognise his potential as a schoolboy footballer and he had to go to Orient to make it in the game.

Being a manager for L2 SU-with our huge financial problems etc- is hardly "a massive step up" from being AM at Championship side with an outside chance of making the playoffs this season and ambitious to go one step better in 20/21. Would you want to work for our current Chairman? I certainly wouldn't.His track record speaks for itself.All he's interested in doing is getting FF developed asap and stepping down.

AB was born, brought up and educated in SOS.He's a local legend,The jury's still out on the kids you menton. .Hardly his fault if the (then) powers that be didn't recognise his potential as a schoolboy footballer and he had to go to Orient to make it in the game.

Being a manager for L2 SU-with our huge financial problems etc- is hardly "a massive step up" from being AM at Championship side with an outside chance of making the playoffs this season and ambitious to go one step better in 20/21. Would you want to work for our current Chairman? I certainly wouldn't.His track record speaks for itself.All he's interested in doing is getting FF developed asap and stepping down.

Of course managing a L2 side is a bigger job than being assistant manager at a Championship side. When has someone ever quit a L2 manager’s job to go be an assistant at a Championship club citing ambition?

You might want to hold out for the Fulham or Espanyol job but as a Southend fan there would only be one manager’s job that would be the dream manager job for me and I couldn’t say no to my club in their hour of need.

Of course managing a L2 side is a bigger job than being assistant manager at a Championship side. When has someone ever quit a L2 manager’s job to go be an assistant at a Championship club citing ambition?

You might want to hold out for the Fulham or Espanyol job but as a Southend fan there would only be one manager’s job that would be the dream manager job for me and I couldn’t say no to my club in their hour of need.
He didn't say it isn't a 'bigger job'. He said it isn't a 'massively' bigger job. In that respect I, personally, agree.

I don't agree. Adam is established at Millwall and is likely on good pay. While his heart may say Shrimpers his head says Lions. He's made the right decision.

Our job should go to Fagan. End of.

Coaching career
On 5 July 2018, Fagan was appointed to the coaching staff of Hull City's Academy.[33] In 2019 Fagan replaced the departing Kevin Maher as under-23 coach at Southend United.[

It would be a rapid rise ....even the Cowleys had some sort of managerial background in lower leagues.
Such an important appointment and a huge gamble compared to Sturrock last time we were in this mess

Coaching career
On 5 July 2018, Fagan was appointed to the coaching staff of Hull City's Academy.[33] In 2019 Fagan replaced the departing Kevin Maher as under-23 coach at Southend United.[

It would be a rapid rise ....even the Cowleys had some sort of managerial background in lower leagues.
Such an important appointment and a huge gamble compared to Sturrock last time we were in this mess

Unless finances dramatically change then next seasons squad will be our under 23's.....So who is the best person for that?

Unless finances dramatically change then next seasons squad will be our under 23's.....So who is the best person for that?
You're not helping the sales of STs for next season.
If we really are on that knife edge then even FF is definitely out of Ron's reach and the most we can expect is plan approval and quick sell on.In the meantime as last season the supporters are treated like mushrooms

He didn't say it isn't a 'bigger job'. He said it isn't a 'massively' bigger job. In that respect I, personally, agree.

Fair enough but I still think the move from assistant manager to actually being responsible for running the show is a massive leap and I’d say the same if the boot was on the other foot and our assistant manager was offered a manager’s job further down the pyramid.

You're not helping the sales of STs for next season.
If we really are on that knife edge then even FF is definitely out of Ron's reach and the most we can expect is plan approval and quick sell on.In the meantime as last season the supporters are treated like mushrooms

The good news is most L2 clubs spend their lives on a knife edge, this year it will just be a bit sharper.....If we play Orients and Col U's under 23's it will still feel exactly the same as any other derbies......Our lads will be more experienced and if we have a manager that grew with our team, then thats advantage SUFC.......Not that we need any against such a band of wrong'uns :Winking:

Fair enough but I still think the move from assistant manager to actually being responsible for running the show is a massive leap and I’d say the same if the boot was on the other foot and our assistant manager was offered a manager’s job further down the pyramid.

12 months ago you may have been right. Now any career move to another company, even if it appears to be a promotion means we all need to borrow Sols thinking hat.

There is much mention that AB is Assistant Manager (overlooks that it is interim and he will according to the plan revert to first team coach- 3rd in the pecking order if you like). Opportunities to move from a coaching role to a manager are not two a penny, and even for a club like us in the current difficulties there will be many applications from existing & past managers, assistant managers etc.

If he was desperate to manage us he would take the opportunity. But he certainly should not be criticised for not doing so. He is happy where he is so we can move on - surely Maher or Fagan, or Maher and Fagan. One thought what was Maher's relationship with Tilly like? could Maher yet bring Tilly in as an assistant (maybe along with Fagan)?

Millwall can’t get in playoffs now. This could persuade Adam to maybe have a re think ?

I doubt it. We are about to go to court for a 700k unpaid bill. We have literally no money to pay this bill. We could be wound up ffs.

We didn't pay our players on several occasions and had to release or sell any and all of our more experienced squad.

We had to rely on the youth (who did us proud) to field a team.

Adam was here when Ron failed to pay the team for months and was here when he was promised much by Phil brown and got dropped for speaking up.

He now has a stable job on good money and at a progressive club.

Loves Southend yes, but he has a family and mortgage to consider.

It isn't just as black and white as some make out.

If and when the club are financially stable, possibly at fossetts under new ownership, then gripe at Adam if he doesn't want to know. Please dont disrespect a total blues legend for not wanting to be part of the current and ongoing circus.

I doubt it. We are about to go to court for a 700k unpaid bill. We have literally no money to pay this bill. We could be wound up ffs.

We didn't pay our players on several occasions and had to release or sell any and all of our more experienced squad.

We had to rely on the youth (who did us proud) to field a team.

Adam was here when Ron failed to pay the team for months and was here when he was promised much by Phil brown and got dropped for speaking up.

He now has a stable job on good money and at a progressive club.

Loves Southend yes, but he has a family and mortgage to consider.

It isn't just as black and white as some make out.

If and when the club are financially stable, possibly at fossetts under new ownership, then gripe at Adam if he doesn't want to know. Please dont disrespect a total blues legend for not wanting to be part of the current and ongoing circus.

Great post, totally agree.

Back