• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United under transfer embargo due to money owed to HMRC

I can remember our first winding up petition a decade ago*

Everyone - myself included - thought it was the end, and there was a genuine sense of doom and despair on this forum.

Over time, we’ve come to treat these petitions with a blasé attitude, and we automatically expect Saint Ron to slay the HMRC dragon, with very little fuss.

But for the first time, in a long time, I have a nervy feeling about todays virtual trip to court.
We must get this sorted, and get that umbongo lifted today.

*I think that was our first, anyway?

I can only assume that Ron didn’t settle it yesterday as I’d have thought CP would have known and communicated it.

Based on this list it looks like 48 cases to be heard between 10.30 and 11.45 so each one can’t take long?

Most will be unopposed and the companies allowed to be wound up. Uncle Ron has already paid up the debt earlier this week, so that won’t take long. These things are usually formalities.

I can remember our first winding up petition a decade ago*

Everyone - myself included - thought it was the end, and there was a genuine sense of doom and despair on this forum.

Over time, we’ve come to treat these petitions with a blasé attitude, and we automatically expect Saint Ron to slay the HMRC dragon, with very little fuss.

But for the first time, in a long time, I have a nervy feeling about todays virtual trip to court.
We must get this sorted, and get that umbongo lifted today.

*I think that was our first, anyway?

well, we almost wound the club up voluntarily in 1912, as the new owner of the Blue Boar called in their loan, but there was a massive local fundraising effort (and a collection during a game of West Ham v Millwall!).

In 1984, it was a lot worse under Anton Johnson, our debts climbed from £250k to £700k, and we had to remortgage the ground.

Our first winding up petition was in 2000, then 2009-present.

well, we almost wound the club up voluntarily in 1912, as the new owner of the Blue Boar called in their loan, but there was a massive local fundraising effort (and a collection during a game of West Ham v Millwall!).

In 1984, it was a lot worse under Anton Johnson, our debts climbed from £250k to £700k, and we had to remortgage the ground.

I thought the ground was owned by the supporters at that time. Didn't they gift it to Vic Jobson, or is that what you mean?

Thanks. I did wonder if we’d had any previous examples, prior to the 2009 debacle.

That was the first one that I could remember.

I thought the ground was owned by the supporters at that time. Didn't they gift it to Vic Jobson, or is that what you mean?

From the Peter Mason book:

"It was no coincidence that the smallest ever home crowd came in the same week that United were forced to negotiate a huge £800,000 remortgaging with the Business and Mortgage Trust".

Vic also got loans from Ken Bates and Ghislaine Maxwell's Dad, Robert.

Is anyone monitoring what is going on in court? It's a potentially very significant day for the club, but Twitter is strangely silent. I thought the Echo would be monitoring it, especially as you can do it by Skype and don't even have to find the train fare up to London.

Is anyone monitoring what is going on in court? It's a potentially very significant day for the club, but Twitter is strangely silent. I thought the Echo would be monitoring it, especially as you can do it by Skype and don't even have to find the train fare up to London.

You have to request beforehand to watch it. Guess the Echo have

Is that why Robert was found floating face down in the ocean? He was told the money was in the mythical war chest on the seabed :Smile:

I went to The Comedy Store in Leicester Square not long after Maxwell died. One of the comedians came on stage with a double bass and played his version of Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side". It was hilarious, but the only 2 lines I can remember were:

"Who's that floating in the water?
Is it Maxwell? No, it's Gibraltar."

Most will be unopposed and the companies allowed to be wound up. Uncle Ron has already paid up the debt earlier this week, so that won’t take long. These things are usually formalities.

How do you know he has paid the debt? The size of the debt is big. Where did that come from?

I can only assume that Ron didn’t settle it yesterday as I’d have thought CP would have known and communicated it.
No- occasionally on a radio interview Ron will just give a casual aside when HMRC debts are mentioned saying oh that been paid as if it were nothing. His demeanour is always no big deal, oh that's been paid, so never an announcement that then makes a big issue of it.

Its entirely the norm we find out when the case is dismissed- please move on nothing to see here..

I think its paid but until I hear the beak say the word "dismissed" I won't believe it.

There is also the possibility Ron has a piece of paper (a la Sainsburys) with commitment to funds in the very near future having not got cleared funds in time. Hope not as this will delay further the embargo lifting etc.

It’s 11.45am, the winding up is finished by now, will Ron Martin celebrate ? or soiled himself.

Apparently 48 cases between 10:30 and 11:45 so thats around 2 minutes each case. We were in 6th or 7th i think so should have been done a while ago

Back