• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Wycombe Wanderers - Saturday 13 April 2019

Team choice plus win / lose / draw

• Nathan Bishop

Votes: 105 71.4%
  • Mark Oxley

Votes: 29 19.7%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 128 87.1%
  • Harry Lennon

Votes: 114 77.6%
  • John White

Votes: 54 36.7%
  • Rob Kiernan

Votes: 124 84.4%
  • Sam Hart

• Taylor Moore

Votes: 66 44.9%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Michael Turner

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Michael Kightly

Votes: 47 32.0%
  • Luke Hyam

Votes: 114 77.6%
  • Timothee Dieng

Votes: 12 8.2%
  • Dru Yearwood

Votes: 82 55.8%
  • Sam Mantom

Votes: 79 53.7%
  • Harry Bunn

Votes: 78 53.1%
  • Stephen McLaughlin

Votes: 29 19.7%
  • Simon Cox

• Stephen Humphrys

Votes: 111 75.5%
  • Charlie Kelman

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Isaac Hutchinson

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Emile Acquah

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Michael Klass

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • __________

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Win

Votes: 90 61.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 12 8.2%
  • Lose

Votes: 5 3.4%

• Total voters
This season has been a couple of years in the making. Our transfer policy has for the last few years been to sign prove quality players with baggage (ie injury issues) and gambling on those players staying fit. This season has seen it totally unravel.

Interesting that Gareth Ainsworth hasn't named an unchanged side for months. Neither have we. Both teams are on terrible runs. Coincidence? The inability to pick a settled side, and still not knowing our best 11 as a result, is for me the main reason we're in this position.
The really interesting thing is that Ainsworth still has a job at Wycombe. He'd have been dead meat on here weeks ago.:Winking:

This season has been a couple of years in the making. Our transfer policy has for the last few years been to sign prove quality players with baggage (ie injury issues) and gambling on those players staying fit. This season has seen it totally unravel.

The sad thing is we could see it coming and no level of hindsight was necessary. Yes, the risk of aged. experienced and injury prone players, may have paid off but the high level of risk was one I did not subscribe to. You reap what you sow.

The really interesting this is that Ainsworth still has a job at Wycombe. He'd have been dead meat on here weeks ago.:Winking:

Too true.

Only once our relegation is confirmed will people realise that Chris Powell had an almost impossible task on his hands this year.

I don’t think we’ll properly sort ourselves out til the summer. I’m just praying we can scramble a couple of scruffy 1-0 wins to stay in this league, but I really can’t see it unfortunately. We get a decent result and then follow it up with more injury woes and the subsequent awful home performance.

Prove me wrong Blues, prove me wrong.

Too true.

Only once our relegation is confirmed will people realise that Chris Powell had an almost impossible task on his hands this year.

I don’t think we’ll properly sort ourselves out til the summer. I’m just praying we can scramble a couple of scruffy 1-0 wins to stay in this league, but I really can’t see it unfortunately. We get a decent result and then follow it up with more injury woes and the subsequent awful home performance.

Prove me wrong Blues, prove me wrong.

Ainsworth has done a good job for Wycombe in the long run on a budget much smaller than Powell's and also got the club promoted so has that under his belt.

WWFC official site said that they'd sold 631 tickets about 3 hours ago.

Chris Stevens' website says we've sold 6396 so hopefully we're looking at a 7500+ crowd tomorrow for this big game

Spot on.

Kiernan should never have been signed despite his obvious quality.

Lennon has a questionable injury record.

Hyam has several seasons of being injured. He was signed instead of Wordsworth who managed about 25 games a season but ultimately scored 10 goals + from midfield.

There have also been others have been a huge disappointment, the biggest of which is kightly. A 3 year deal as the club's highest paid player in Our history and has given terrible value.

The really interesting this is that Ainsworth still has a job at Wycombe. He'd have been dead meat on here weeks ago.:Winking:

Maybe you are right but id wager that the remit for him at Wycombe is to stabilise the club in league 1 and avoid relegation. Their budget will undoubtedly be much smaller than ours. Probably bottom 5. Our budget is top five and I'm sure that Powell would have been tasked with aiming for a play off birth.

Poles apart in that respect.

Quality players with baggage? Injuries this year, Coker, Hopper, Demi, Lennon, Barrett, Oxley. I wouldn't put any of those in that bracket.

Ironically, the two "quality" players we did sign in Turner and Kightly have just been awful, not injured.

Injuries didn't help Powell, but his faliure was mostly down to only have 3 forwards in the squad and to decimate the midfield and fill it with Mantom and Dieng.

SOUTHEND United manager Kevin Bond will not recall Stephen Humphrys to the Shrimpers starting line-up until he is completely ready to return to action.

More...

SOUTHEND United defender John White is refusing to put too much importance on tomorrow’s clash with Wycombe Wanderers at Roots Hall.

More...

G
Quality players with baggage? Injuries this year, Coker, Hopper, Demi, Lennon, Barrett, Oxley. I wouldn't put any of those in that bracket.

Ironically, the two "quality" players we did sign in Turner and Kightly have just been awful, not injured.

Injuries didn't help Powell, but his faliure was mostly down to only have 3 forwards in the squad and to decimate the midfield and fill it with Mantom and Dieng.

Giving the 31-year-old Kightly a three-year contract was madness. Turner is now 35 and is way past his best. Bunn has also got an injury history and has been in and out all season, Hyam also. The constant niggly injuries have been almost as damaging as the long-term ones.

Mantom in particular is a perfectly good player when he's not having to play in a different formation and with different players every single week.

We could do with a bit of luck for a change this weekend - maybe a penalty and/or a sending off for them. These things are supposed to even themselves out over a season but there's been little evidence of an evening out so far

We could do with a bit of luck for a change this weekend - maybe a penalty and/or a sending off for them. These things are supposed to even themselves out over a season but there's been little evidence of an evening out so far

I don't think a sending off for the opposition always turns out to be a good thing.

I think on this game, ticket sales will either go through the roof (hopefully), or plummet...for the remainder of the season, esp Walsall away and, of course, the Sunderland home match

Back