• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Southend United. Who Cares?

Can we get this straight from the get-go. No one has suggested NOT supporting the new manager or whatever group of players he may bring - if indeed he does.

No one is suggesting boycotting League or Cup matches. It's been done before and it does not work. It only splits the fanbase.

We have an opportunity with a few friendlies to do something, we either grab that chance or we don't.

Can we get this straight from the get-go. No one has suggested NOT supporting the new manager or whatever group of players he may bring - if indeed he does.

No one is suggesting boycotting League or Cup matches. It's been done before and it does not work. It only splits the fanbase.

We have an opportunity with a few friendlies to do something, we either grab that chance or we don't.

I agree, a protest on Friday has been planned for a while now, we just want a large group of bodies, if some decide to go and check out the trailists blah blah, then they can, but it is a necessity for everyone attend even just a part of the protest.

lovely jubbly lord football, I really like the love sufc hate martin mentioned by suffolk shrimper, catchy

I think Ron has been quite shreud in his approach to this matter. Putting Tilson gardening leave (lets face it, sacking him) was always going to annoy the majority of fans. But you have to look at the two coming in. Paul Sturrock has got proven track record of getting into clubs in difficulty and somehow comin out of it quite well. And the appointment of Tommy Widdrington is a master stroke.He did exceptionally well at Salisbury and next to know budget. He's going to have contacts in non-league football that will prove invaulable.

I think neither would have come here if Ron had not got something in the pipeline. We'll see after the hearing on Thursday 7th (??) for one of the winding up orders. I would not expect a delay, i would be expecting full payment there and then.

Get that out of the way, get some players in which i have full confidence will happen and suddenly things aren't looking too bad. Not great, but a whole lot better than they used to be.

Plus if it all goes t!ts up Ron can claim never to have offered a contract to Paul Sturrock, hasn't he got a mild form or Parkinsons?? Sure that will come in handy come pay day

"No Paul, we paid your wages on time, you actually owe us money"

- also indirectly let Tilly know that we are with him (just chanting Tilly's name ould I feel seem like a negative to the new management duo)

Are we with tilly though? Treated harshly, yes, but time for change? Probably.

I think a gesture from the supporters or sz for tilson is a brilliant idea. Perhaps take a full page ad in the echo or something? This was no ordinary manager no matter what i thought personally.

But I for one don't want him reinstated now and was quite annoyed the consortium have decided to use tilson as part of their campaign. Would be a step backwards.

In addition to having 2 individuals contacting / liasing with the Echo why not go a step further and keep the local TV & radio news channels informed of developments ?

BBC Look East and ITV Anglia News come to mind.

If you PM full details of the planned itinerary for the demos and marches etc. and your contact details i'm happy to commit to liasing with one of them and keeping them up to date with events.

I'm only 30 miles from Norwich so if any arm twisting is needed I could go to the Anglia offices in person to plead for maximum coverage.

I think a gesture from the supporters or sz for tilson is a brilliant idea. Perhaps take a full page ad in the echo or something? This was no ordinary manager no matter what i thought personally.

But I for one don't want him reinstated now and was quite annoyed the consortium have decided to use tilson as part of their campaign. Would be a step backwards.

I think, and hope, that you're in the minority with that opinion.

There is no going back. Tilly has gone, end. My views were aimed at showing our support for him in a subtle way but, more than that, showing support for Southend United. Chanting 'Hate Ron Martin, love Southend' (or the other way round, but maybe we should just be a little different to Man U in case they claim copyright infringement and sue us for the dime Ron has 'found' to buy the World Cup winning team) was not aimed at being a 'Come Back Tilly' move, it just won't happen so no point.

I don't think we are on the brink of extinction. Sturrock would not be here if he thought SUFC where on the brink of extinction. 'People like me' and 'fool'. If you can't answer a genuine post without being rude, then just ignore me please.

I think Sturrock needs to be supported, it's not his fault now is it.

Nice taking abuse isn't it, how you fools keep falling for bullshi t Ron is beyond me and i also wouldn't be suprised to see a David Webb smokescreen type dissapearing act with Sturrock. He won't be quite as gullible as Tilly and you, that's for sure!

I think, and hope, that you're in the minority with that opinion.

I would imagine i am, but as i said, it would be hypocritical of me to be to upset about this as i called for his head many times due to my perosonal feelings on his management style at times.

I would imagine i am, but as i said, it would be hypocritical of me to be to upset about this as i called for his head many times due to my perosonal feelings on his management style at times.

Well, in five years time I guess we'll know which one of us was right. I fear we'll be on our third or fourth post-Tilson boss by then.

Well, in five years time I guess we'll know which one of us was right. I fear we'll be on our third or fourth post-Tilson boss by then.

Ah perhaps. Its not about being right or wrong though, debates about players and managers are more a personal opinion type thing. I've done the tilson thing to death anyways and I'm looking forward now to seeing how a new guy at the helm can work - I wanted it, now I have to live with it! :)

A report from tonight's meeting.

Whilst we were not swamped with people, sufficient people turned out to voice their opinions.

The overwhelming view of those attending was

a. We want to see a sustainable League football side playing in Southend
b. We do not trust anything officially that comes out of the Club.
c. We are not setting up a splinter group to oppose any existing organisation
d. Whatever we do must learn the lessons of the past (notably the Jobson campaigns)

Some background was provided on the consortium and how they fit into the scheme of things. It was made clear that they will only get involved if the club go into Administration or if a deal can be reached with Sainsbury.

Some thought was given to up coming Winding Up Orders; but given the news of the new manager many believe that somehow this will be avoided.

The dismissal of Tilson was seen as the straw that broke the camels back.

Action.

There will be a protest at the Ipswich game on Friday, starting at 7pm. This will continue outside o the ground until the game finishes. This will be publicised via facebook, SZ and with a High Street leafletting campaign. A facebook group called Southend United, Who Cares will be set up in the next few hours and the link provided here in the next few hours.

People are encouraged to bring banners.

Two individuals will be contacting the Evening Echo directly during the week.

Thought will go into a round the clock vigil outside of Roots Hall.

Thought will go into a march from the High Street to the Ground on the day of the Derby friendly.

A further meeting will take place on Tuesday 13th July, once again, in the back garden of the Spread Eagle.

IF THE IPSWICH GAME DOES NOT GO AHEAD, THE DEMO WILL TAKE PLACE AT THE DERBY GAME.

I'm still not clear how having a protest is in any way going to assist the objective of achieving sustainable league football in Southend, which is something that has been happening for 100 years and despite all the problems is still happening and, as you seem to be aware of, will probably happen for the foreseeable due to the fact that the bills will be paid this week.

Who provided the consortium info and how do they know they'll only get involved if the club goes into administration? What are people meant to put on the banners? Tilson in? Martin Out? Save Our Club? And if asked "How?", what's the party line? Is there a bucket collection? Was that discussed and if so will it finance the protest movement or go to the club?

If the Consortium have said that they will only step in in the event of an administration then surely any protests with the aim of getting Ron out should be directed at them and getting them to change that stance. If they won't come in unless we take administration, and Ron is somehow able to keep us out of administration then I'm a bit confused about what people are trying to achieve.

Regardless of my concerns about the logistics of a Consortium takeover, in relation to the FF development, I take enormous comfort in the fact that there is at least one body out there willing to step in if the worst were to happen.

I am disgusted by Ron Martin's treatment of Tilson - a loyal servant to our club his entire career... I dont think the man understands football and is gradually ripping our club apart...

IT DOESNT MATTER IF YOU DONT LIKE THE NAME 'WHO CARES?' IF YOU DONT TRUST RON MARTIN AND WANT A FOOTBALL CLUB TO SUPPORT IN THE FUTURE JOIN US FRIDAY

Join us on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=132891373409077

Back