• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Southend United. Who Cares?

Or we could have stuck with Tilson and be non league. Tilson, very nice bloke, good manager when Eastwood was playing fot him, hasn't set the world alight since Eastwood left. Time for change.

A Playoff spot in 07/08 and an 8th place finish in 08/09 not good enough for you?

...but who actually sorts out the contracts with the players? Not Tilly or any manager I'd wager.
Secondly Tilly (or any manager) may identify a player he wants to bring to the club, but negotiation of transfer fees aren't done by managers they are done by the chairmen of clubs, and also in association with the players agent, who in the meantime will be in negotitiation with the chairman over his players contract. Therefore the chairman is entirely responsible for expenditure.

100% agree and we have obviously overspent, not just on transfer fees, but wages and stupid contracts (4 years for Barrett anyone).

BUT... as fans, we cannot have it both ways.

If we hadnt of signed anyone or kept a strict wage budget, the fans would be up in arms. "not being able to compete", "martin wont spend the money", "why are X buying Y, we should be in for him".

So damned if you do, damned if you dont. I didnt read ONE fan during the championship period who said "hold on, signing Peter Clarke is a massive mistake, he could cost us over a £1m and we just dont have that money".

No it was "Peter Clarke, decent signing - now we need a striker, a winger and a full back" etc etc.

So it goes both ways.

Same as Leeds Utd. Didnt hear any of their fans complaining when they were playing against the top teams in Europe and competing for the Premier League with some of the countries best players in their ranks. All of a sudden when it all goes wrong, the finger is pointed at the chairman and everyone starts crying.

Same as Leeds Utd. Didnt hear any of their fans complaining when they were playing against the top teams in Europe and competing for the Premier League with some of the countries best players in their ranks. All of a sudden when it all goes wrong, the finger is pointed at the chairman and everyone starts crying.

Yep. One of my most hated phrases is one that gets trotted out by fan spokespeople on SSN everytime a Club gets in to trouble for spending more than it can afford:

"Why is it always the fans who have to suffer?"

As if the fans weren't celebrating when the striker, that a club decided to sign for 200k instead of using that money to pay that month's tax obligations, scored a goal or when they finished the season above the well-run Club down the road.

It's the cyclical nature of it too. We had Swindon fans on here 18 months ago appealing for help when their Club almost went into Administration for the third time. They got bought out at the last minute but the new owners started spending money again on trying to get the Club to compete at the top end of the division and I wonder how many of their fans are even thinking twice about where the money to sign the likes of David Prutton, Vincent Pericard and Jonathan Douglas has come from.

Whether Ron Martin stays or someone else comes in I just hope that they look at what has happened to us over the past year, and what happened to us at the end of the 90s and promise that they won't make the same mistakes again. And I hope that the next time we go through a bad couple of months we as a fanbase don't put pressure on the Club to spend another 200k on a sixth or seventh striker.

Just to be clear on the consortium's stance:

1 They made two different offers to Ron Martin. One in particular was a very good offer to walk away with lots of money. He didn't want to do a deal. They still await Martin's contact, but it's up to him if he wants to do a deal as long as he is majority shareholder.

2 Do a deal with Sainsbury's. The consortium's finances are in better shape than Martin's, they can get the stadium built quicker, and they would be able to ensure the club is run properly with a proper team paid on time, etc. Sainsbury's ultimately have a control over the shares and can control what Martin does if they want to. Pressure from the fans would help to achieve that.

3 If the club goes into administration, the consortium would be willing to pick it up out of administration.

As I see it, 1 is extremely unlikely because of a certain person's stance. 2 would be the best option. 3 would not be a disaster as the club could continue. Worst scenario is if the club goes into liquidation.

The club is still nowhere near out of the woods and anyone believing all is now suddenly rosy is sadly mistaken - despite another great PR job in the last couple of days, the likes of which we've seen this many times before and yet some people still don't get it. eg Did the Webb PR masterstroke work and ensure the club didn't go down? Of course not, because Webb was only ever a distraction to stop the fury over Brush and he soon didn't stick around when he saw what was happening at the club. And the treatment of the players, embargo, etc was after another Sainsbury's cash injection to Martin. So why would it be any different this time? However, anyone willing to believe Martin will somehow be different now - you're welcoming to your opinions, but I just can't work out why anyone may think him being in control would be in the club's long-term interests when there are alternatives.

The alternatives include trying to put pressure on Sainsbury's to effect a change of control so that:
(a) we get someone else in to run the club who can run it sustainably in the long-term, but also so that we can have a proper team to watch this season and with Tilly there;
(b) the new stadium gets built (good news for everyone).

We can still force a change by fans' pressure and get a change of control. That can only be achieved, though, if that's what the fans want. If the fans are happy with what we've got at the moment, that's what we'll end up with.

Maybe some people feel that Martin's obviously been managing fine and the upwards spiral that we've been witnessing in the last few months has been a joy to watch, and that these are truly great times to watch and support SUFC. Not only that, but things will be getting better with him in charge. I'm afraid I have to disagree with that, though.

I agree entirely with the consortium's stance. Ron's latest publicity stunt certainly won't fool me. I can't believe he has ousted Brush, Barrett and Tilson, the only three shining lights we had left at the club, effectively blaming them for our problems! Unbelievable.

His non payment of wages for several months, lies, non payment of the Shrimpers Trust loan, transfer embargoes, court cases, David Webb fiasco etc are beyond a joke. I don't see how anyone can have faith in this man, I don't believe a word he says.

Personally i wold prefer an Independant group as opposed to one which is being manipulated by a consortium whose primary aim seems to be to get hold of FF for as little as possible even if it means waiting until we have had 10 points deducted.

Was there any suggestions last night that enquiries be made into mounting an alternative group to try and oust RM ?

Regarding the aim of a sustainable club, which I fully agree with, its the only way to go ahead, no more calls for the Chairman to splash the cash , if we don't get it in we don't spend it, was there any consideration given to how this might be achieved ?
Is the Aim of this to massively increase our income, ie is the protest a way of galvanising support in the town so that we get 10,000 through the gates each week
Or is the aim to achieve sustainability to decrease our expenditure, ie the protest will encourage massive cost cutting excercises within the club.

Personally i wold prefer an Independant group as opposed to one which is being manipulated by a consortium whose primary aim seems to be to get hold of FF for as little as possible even if it means waiting until we have had 10 points deducted.

Was there any suggestions last night that enquiries be made into mounting an alternative group to try and oust RM ?

Regarding the aim of a sustainable club, which I fully agree with, its the only way to go ahead, no more calls for the Chairman to splash the cash , if we don't get it in we don't spend it, was there any consideration given to how this might be achieved ?
Is the Aim of this to massively increase our income, ie is the protest a way of galvanising support in the town so that we get 10,000 through the gates each week
Or is the aim to achieve sustainability to decrease our expenditure, ie the protest will encourage massive cost cutting excercises within the club.

Fantastic post.

I doubt Ron thinks anyone is behind him.

Do you think?

Do not they tend to think it is just a small section that is anti them and the rest are just confused so little bit of PR can help to bring the masses back in line?

So far it has seemed to work on our support base, Webb and Sturrock are the latest examples.

Regarding the protest I do think it is important that those of us who are concerned that the future is not totally resolved by the latest press releases attend and remind not just Ron but the board that we are not just a small mindless subset of fan base. The protest should be a reminder to Ron not to take us for granted or treat us as dim witted fools that he can treat with contempt.

This is nothing to do with the players or the playing management team but to the people that run our club, that take our money and control where and what it is spent on.

I was not there last night due to a prior engagement at the Brixton Academy.

Do you think?

Do not they tend to think it is just a small section that is anti them and the rest are just confused so little bit of PR can help to bring the masses back in line?

So far it has seemed to work on our support base, Webb and Sturrock are the latest examples.

Regarding the protest I do think it is important that those of us who are concerned that the future is not totally resolved by the latest press releases attend and remind not just Ron but the board that we are not just a small mindless subset of fan base. The protest should be a reminder to Ron not to take us for granted or treat us as dim witted fools that he can treat with contempt.

This is nothing to do with the players or the playing management team but to the people that run our club, that take our money and control where and what it is spent on.

I was not there last night due to a prior engagement at the Brixton Academy.

No. They can use Szone to see that the majority of people, if not 100% are unhappy.

Ive always been behind ron Martin but things have got too bad to have any confidence in him now.

Im not saying I want him out, Id rather he stabilised the club and delivered FF, but right now I seriously doubt his ability to do so and it will take many months of stability to even begin to rebuild that trust.

A protest is useful to show that supporters arent happy but it ultimately wont have any impact other than to highlight supporters displeasure.

Only real money from the consortium or another buyer would effect change and despite ESB's comments I still doubt they have made an offer that would recompensate Ron Martin & co's investments over the last 8 years.

I doubt Ron thinks anyone is behind him.

You are talking about us fans on SZ. I am sure there are plenty of fans not posting on SZ that can see the long game and realize so much goes on behind the scenes to secure league football for Southend United.

Anyone who thinks the little get together organised by Lord Football is the work of the consortium is utterly wrong

I'm of the opinion the consortium will be no better than Ron and certainly wouldn't have my support

Anyone who thinks the little get together organised by Lord Football is the work of the consortium is utterly wrong

I'm of the opinion the consortium will be no better than Ron and certainly wouldn't have my support

To be honest I don't think that LFs meeting is the work of the consortium, I am concerned that they are being used by the consortium and I am sure that this was not their intention

To be honest I don't think that LFs meeting is the work of the consortium, I am concerned that they are being used by the consortium and I am sure that this was not their intention

Ahh possibly ... i did stress to LF last night my reservations of letting anyone with the name Rubin (except Bill of course) within a mile of our club

Fantastic post.

I'll second that.

Back