• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So Jason is currently top scorer !

Time will tell but I think some of you will be eating humble pie aplenty.

Get in there boy:smile::smile:

I think every Southend fan hopes he comes good and makes his way into the 1st team, nobody needs to eat humble pie, the only difference is you think he should be there already people who disagree just think he's not ready yet. I for one love it when players come through the youth ranks and i would love to see him make it to the 1st team this season...

My ratings from tonight

T.Smith 6.5 Got outmuscled from one cross early on, but hardly had anything to do.
Leonard 6 A little disappointing. Gave the ball away a few times. Looked better 2nd half
Coker 8 Bets player on the pitch IMO. Kept raiding down the left flank
Bolger 6.5 One hiccup early on (got the wrong side of their player), but otherwise a comfortable evening
Prosser 6.5 A comfortable evening for Pross.

Deegan 6.5 Some long passes went astray, but kept plugging away. Put in a couple of big challenges after he received one himself
Will 7 His usual tidy self
Bridge 6.5 Quite like the look of this youngster. Looks technically good. Would def blood him in JPT games etc
Worrall 7 Looked lively as usual
Weston 7 Looked ok. Had a good understanding with Coker. Their RB was torn in two.

Williams 6.5 OK. Took his goals well, albeit they weren't difficult. See above. Don't think he is League One standard, at present.

I agree,

He should have been blooded in league 2 last season,he needs to find his feet at league one if he actually gets the chance?

if hed have been blooded last year in league 2, hed more than likely still be playing there this season.

I wonder if anyone was there last night who watched Williams in other pre-season games. His movement off the ball was good, which made the first goal, and his hold up play was also good. He hasn't got blistering pace, but he isn't slow either.

One thing I would say is that the youngsters have adapted to men's football and the big jump in physicality from playing under 18s to professional standard. I'd be happy if Bridge and Williams got some minutes from the JPT this season to test them. This is another thing the under 21 team will help with, not only the technical and tactical side to help them bridge the gap between youth and first team football, but give them the extra year or two to physically mature. There were a few last night who handled the physical side well, but it was clear some weren't used to it and Brentwood exploited that.

I think every Southend fan hopes he comes good and makes his way into the 1st team, nobody needs to eat humble pie, the only difference is you think he should be there already people who disagree just think he's not ready yet. I for one love it when players come through the youth ranks and i would love to see him make it to the 1st team this season...

Ditto
Payne cost nothing
Bents cost nothing
Williams cost nothing
Bridge cost nothing and I think he will break into the first team
Eastwood cost 35k

I simply love it when these type of players come through or step up,never understood signing the big time Charlie's looking for one last pay out,but hey I ain't the club owner.

Just got home. Decent run out and played some decent football at times particularly first half. Did seem to give the ball away a lot but we did try to play on the grass, apart from deegan who was spraying it all over the place at times, not always with success. Williams did ok at best, his first goal was an own goal, went through the keepers legs hit the post and then keepers back and in. Bridge scored a lovely goal, good move and good finish from around 20 yards. Third goal a good Williams header from a Weston cross. Payne scored with his first touch. As I said a lot of good football until final third where we wasted good opportunities to cross or get shots away. Midfield works hard, but need a natural goal scorer to score those poacher type goals. But a decent evening and a good crowd.

I wonder if anyone was there last night who watched Williams in other pre-season games. His movement off the ball was good, which made the first goal, and his hold up play was also good. He hasn't got blistering pace, but he isn't slow either.

Yeah, changing your tone a bit now chapperz, aren't you. Me and mrsblue have been saying for ages how good Williams is, maybe now you'll listen.

Couldn't fault his workrate. Kept looking for the ball, and he shut their players down all night. I think he just needs regular footy on loan in League Two. Don't agree this should have happened last year though, Mrs blue. Without the proven qualities of Cassidy and Pigott, I don't think we would have got out of the division.

Has anyone else noticed that Jack Payne keeps wearing number 10 in the pre-season games? Probably means nothing, but maybe Brown's considering playing him as a number 10 in the second striker role off Mooney? I think I'd full on wet myself with excitement if he were. Always thought Payne would be class playing there.

Decent run out against extremely average (and that is being kind) opposition and we played well. Couple of goals for Williams and Bridge looks a good prospect. Another game under out belts to help with players fitness (the only real reason for games of this nature) and most importantly, nobody was injured.

Williams has the strength pace and power to cut it in the football league for sure, he will get goals in league one and two it's just who with, better be with us as he gets the games and chances then he will take them:thumbsup:

WTF..... A joke?

A brace ........it's time you woke up........lucky goal against nothing teams mean shiiiite? Like that 2 litre bottle of coke...

He took the first goal brilliantly tonight ... Chipped ball over top, he ran into the space and swivelled like Platt in 1990. All technique. He played well tonight. Bridge was excellent again. There's a player there nearing the first team.
Canvey were poor but a good performance tonight ... Dare I say things improving

Why slag off our own 19 year old totally inexperienced player who has a ratio of 1 in 2 or thereabouts,give the kid a break.

He must be your child Mr Blue? This means nothing.... You have said about pace and hunger? He has not shown this. I have been to all the games...... You have built him up to be Alan Shearer, but with pace.........it's great someone has come through, but there is a lot better people you will see on a Sunday morning if you look.........platt? You mean Pratt.....must be a typo..

Canvey Island 0, Southend United 4

JASON Williams bagged a brace to secure a strong Southend United side a 4-0 win at Canvey Island tonight.

More...

Back