• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

He must be your child Mr Blue? This means nothing.... You have said about pace and hunger? He has not shown this. I have been to all the games...... You have built him up to be Alan Shearer, but with pace.........it's great someone has come through, but there is a lot better people you will see on a Sunday morning if you look.........platt? You mean Pratt.....must be a typo..

You really are boring as ****. You don't rate Williams, we get it. Give yourself a rest now.

Ditto
Payne cost nothing
Bents cost nothing
Williams cost nothing
Bridge cost nothing and I think he will break into the first team
Eastwood cost 35k

I simply love it when these type of players come through or step up,never understood signing the big time Charlie's looking for one last pay out,but hey I ain't the club owner.

I completely understand what you are saying as regard transfer fees etc.

But 'cost nothing'?

Does anyone know what it actually costs to take an 'apprentice' to the verge of the first team / to the first team?

I wonder if anyone was there last night who watched Williams in other pre-season games. His movement off the ball was good, which made the first goal, and his hold up play was also good. He hasn't got blistering pace, but he isn't slow either.

One thing I would say is that the youngsters have adapted to men's football and the big jump in physicality from playing under 18s to professional standard. I'd be happy if Bridge and Williams got some minutes from the JPT this season to test them. This is another thing the under 21 team will help with, not only the technical and tactical side to help them bridge the gap between youth and first team football, but give them the extra year or two to physically mature. There were a few last night who handled the physical side well, but it was clear some weren't used to it and Brentwood exploited that.

Well that sounds like an improvement on the last couple of games.

The thing with Williams is that he was built up to be this pacy solution to all our problems and that was used as the reason he should be playing as that was what would mean he "scores for fun"

From what I saw Saturday and from what was said about the Wakering game that isn't the player he is at all. That doesnt mean he is a bad player and wont be any good. We know he can score goals at lower levels he has already done that and as Ive said before, it doesnt matter if he isn't the player with blistering pace we were told he was if he scores goals.

Time will tell if he can do it at professional level.

Sounds like he is getting interest from the Conference, thats the very lowest we should be looking to loan him:

"He’s getting attention from a lot of Conference clubs but he’s got a chance and at the moment he’s second line behind David Mooney.”

Last edited:
He took the first goal brilliantly tonight ... Chipped ball over top, he ran into the space and swivelled like Platt in 1990. All technique. He played well tonight. Bridge was excellent again. There's a player there nearing the first team.
Canvey were poor but a good performance tonight ... Dare I say things improving

the move for the first goal was good, but it was actually an own goal, went off the post, hit the keeper and went in. His second goal was a decent header.

Well that sounds like an improvement on the last couple of games.

The thing with Williams is that he was built up to be this pacy solution to all our problems and that was used as the reason he should be playing as that was what would mean he "scores for fun"

From what I saw Saturday and from what was said about the Wakering game that isn't the player he is at all. That doesnt mean he is a bad player and wont be any good. We know he can score goals at lower levels he has already done that and as Ive said before, it doesnt matter if he isn't the player with blistering pace we were told he was if he scores goals.

Time will tell if he can do it at professional level.

Sounds like he is getting interest from the Conference, thats the very lowest we should be looking to loan him:

"He’s getting attention from a lot of Conference clubs but he’s got a chance and at the moment he’s second line behind David Mooney.”

I think a lot of people are getting carried away here. He scored one goal, the other an own goal, against Ryman league side. He played well but he is no way near first team football. He got pushed off the ball way to easily and his control let him down on numerous occasions. I'm all for giving him a chance, but for me either a season out on loan in non league, with a run in the u21 side, would be his best bet of playing football regularly for him.

I think a lot of people are getting carried away here. He scored one goal, the other an own goal, against Ryman league side. He played well but he is no way near first team football. He got pushed off the ball way to easily and his control let him down on numerous occasions. I'm all for giving him a chance, but for me either a season out on loan in non league, with a run in the u21 side, would be his best bet of playing football regularly for him.

Indeed, anyone who thinks a couple of goals against Canvey is proof he is the finished article is deluded. Brown says he is second in line behind Mooney, well of course he is, if he wasnt then I would be as there is no one else :smile:

I expect we will sign a couple of forwards and Williams will get a chance to develop on loan.

It was a dominant performance by the Blues, I have to say Jack Bridge impressed me more than Jason Williams did. Nice to see all 4 goals coming from previous youth team players.

Deegan is either very good or very bad. Couple of sending offable offences and then some great passes out to the wing and then some misplaced ones.

Indeed, anyone who thinks a couple of goals against Canvey is proof he is the finished article is deluded. Brown says he is second in line behind Mooney, well of course he is, if he wasnt then I would be as there is no one else :smile:

I expect we will sign a couple of forwards and Williams will get a chance to develop on loan.

Indeed,

Williams should have remained at Chelmo where he scored 6 in 10 and would have flourished,we could have recalled him for paint games and/or decent cameo outings in the league.Would be amazed if Phil selects him for the league !

I wasn't at the game so I can't judge anyone's performance but three academy products on the scoresheet regardless of the opposition makes me very happy.

I wasn't at the game, I can't judge anyone's performance but three academy products on the scoresheet regardless of the opposition makes me very happy.

Fantastic achievement,

Add Bents valued at a million whilst Jack will IMO this season be a revelation(if allowed),Great times from the youths.

I wasn't at the game, I can't judge anyone's performance but three academy products on the scoresheet regardless of the opposition makes me very happy.

Couldn't agree more with this - great position to be in when we have Academy players looking close to the first team. Williams was well rated at Welling and clearly did well at Chelmsford. But, at the same time, forwards are thin on the ground, so what harm can it do to have him near the first team.

Indeed,

Williams should have remained at Chelmo where he scored 6 in 10 and would have flourished,we could have recalled him for paint games and/or decent cameo outings in the league.Would be amazed if Phil selects him for the league !

You cant be on loan at a club and come back to play for the parent in competitive matches. We were out of the JPT cup and he wasnt needed in the league anyway (nor ready).

With hindsight he could have been left at Chelmsford but there was nothing wrong with trying to get him tested at a higher level which was the right thing to do at that time. Conference should be the minimum level he goes to, League Two would be ideal.

Agree 100% about him getting pushed off the ball like a fly, for such a strong powerful player (Mrs/Mr?blue) I have seen this at all the games.

I'm talking about his all round play. Admittedly he was on his own in a 4-5-1, but his first touch and bringing players into play wasn't that great. Plays with his head down a bit too much. There is a player in there, but not a League One player at the moment IMO
Are you talking about Corr ?

T.Smith ... Nothing much to do , excellent potential but 2 years away from regular league football. 6
Leonard .... didnt rampage down the flank like he ought to at RB , looked steady when in CM ..........6
Bolger.........Looked rusty ,back to the sluggish Bolger instead of the rolls royce of end of season.....5
Prosser........commanding,organising,strong, a born leader. best player on pitch. Should be captain?..8
Coker.........Usual quality performance although corners were weak. A superb player for us..............7
Deegan...... Caveman tried a little too hard,always wanted the ball but then passing let him down.....6
Bridge.........Too early for him but definitely one to watch. like a young Adam Lallana.took goal well...7
Worrall........Usual buzzing around, 100% + provided good shape, much better on right....................6
Atkinson......Good energy, versatile, good quality, needs to get forward more though......................6
Weston.......Impressed me both with workrate+positional play. i'm starting to warm to him...............7
Williams.......Lad has potential, he is quick + strong,got goals in him.still not convinced attitude........7

White.........Top bloke,strong + reliable ...i wonder if Brown is phasing him out though.....................6
Wordsworth.. didnt warm up at all before coming on, played like he didnt care. but what a player!.....5
Payne..........V important year for Jack, great skills, decision making questionable. Nice goal.............6
Hurst...........Needs to play RW + swing in those quality crosses again, vital year for Hurst...............5
Timlin..........Quickest player over 5 yards.Hates playing LB. 1 ferocious tackle showed his frustration.5

Mooney..... Never rated him but his shooting in the warm up was world class.Not a lone striker though.
Barrett ......Top bloke, enthusiasm + character rubs off on others, Looks fitter this year!!!!
Bentley......Despite PB comments, i feel his head has been turned. Looked unsettled + distant last night

I think PB will play 4-5-1 again this season , which worries me as we simply wont score as neither Mooney,Weston or Williams are strong enough to play the solitary frontman. Maybe if Wordsworth + Payne tuck in behind we might create more but we are really crying out for a big,strong,mobile goalscorer!!!!!

This is like some sort of Playstation vs Xbox row. Williams wasn't good and he wasn't bad and he was lining up against a team who nearly got relegated out of the Ryman Prem last season...

Be good to see him at Braintree or the like to see how well he does. That's my take, but stick him in a L1 team next season and defenders will be ****ing their pants laughing at how easy he is to take out of the game.

Anyway - my biggest take from last night... The nicknames our players have sicken and appal me.

"WOZZA"
"LENNY"
"PAYNEY"
"THOMMO"

And so on. They should be more creative. Why not call "Lil" Jack "Hightower"/"Stretch"? Or David Worrall "Chef"? Timlin could be "Porridge"... These are a few off the top of my head. It's attitudes like this that see a lack of progression in my opinion.

This is like some sort of Playstation vs Xbox row. Williams wasn't good and he wasn't bad and he was lining up against a team who nearly got relegated out of the Ryman Prem last season...

Be good to see him at Braintree or the like to see how well he does. That's my take, but stick him in a L1 team next season and defenders will be ****ing their pants laughing at how easy he is to take out of the game.

Anyway - my biggest take from last night... The nicknames our players have sicken and appal me.

"WOZZA"
"LENNY"
"PAYNEY"
"THOMMO"

And so on. They should be more creative. Why not call "Lil" Jack "Hightower"/"Stretch"? Or David Worrall "Chef"? Timlin could be "Porridge"... These are a few off the top of my head. It's attitudes like this that see a lack of progression in my opinion.

We were having a good laugh at Prosser shouting "Give it to Bulge". You could call me that and I wouldn't be offended.

Back