• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Spaniard on Trial

Picked this up on newsnow, shrimper24 site

http://www.southendunited-mad.co.uk/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=453577

The bit that I found interesting, although I wasn't able to cross-reference it on the OS, was the mention of the agent's recommendation. One can imagine the conversation...............

AGENT "Steve Tilson?.............I think I've got some one that may interest you."

TILLY "What!...........you found someone with the criteria I set you?"

AGENT "Sure have!......he's immensely tall.....6' 4"...........and as long as you give
him a game, he'll happily work his socks off for a chorizo sausage and a
bottle of rioja."

TILLY "I'm sure my boss will come up with the sausage .............but rioja's a bit
pricey...........anyway, send the lad along.......he can play against Canvey
tonight........like I say, if the boy does good.......we'll see what we can do."

Feedback on his performance against Canvey Island, did he link up well with Spanish counter-part Juan?

Feedback on his performance against Canvey Island, did he link up well with Spanish counter-part Juan?

The OS says he got the assist for Freedman's goal.

Interesting that they both got 90 minutes. With both Barrett and Herd on the field in the second half, who played where?

The OS says he got the assist for Freedman's goal.

Interesting that they both got 90 minutes. With both Barrett and Herd on the field in the second half, who played where?

First half he was centre back with Juan, Second half Juan was right back, Barrett and the Spanish bloke CB and Herd Left back

I thought he was dreadful to be honest. He was clumsy, uninspiring and just seemed to swing his legs at everything. He reminded me of an even poorer Garry Richards.

Juan played far, far better in my opinion.

I thought he was dreadful to be honest. He was clumsy, uninspiring and just seemed to swing his legs at everything. He reminded me of an even poorer Garry Richards.

Have to disagree.

He managed to get something on the ball every time. Made one or two misjudgements with other players but that can be put down to the fact his new to the team.

Good in the air, and did the job.

I think he came into the game more as time went on, it's always difficult to judge in those sort if games but I would like another look at him.

Not sure he assisted Dougie's goal but he put him through for the one he put just wide.

Juan I thought was superb, deceptivily strong for his size and didn't just hoof it he got it down and linked up well with Moussa and Herd.

Mildenhall set up Dougie's goal, Spainard put him through for the one-on-one he missed.

Wasn't overly impressed with the Spainard. Decent in the air, but thats the least I'd expect of someone 6ft 4". As Andy has said, reminded me of Gary Richards, or Phil Whelan.

As for Juan, was very impressed with him tonight. Didn't rate him at all after the Witham game, thought he was too lightweight, but was very good tonight. Like I said on the other thread, I'd be happy with Juan as back up to Barrett and another centre half like Bennett/Saah/Antwi/Raynes.

Has the Club actually said anything about this Juan fellow? They've made a big deal about all the other trialists but not the guy who has played in all of the friendlies so far and probably has more minutes on the field than anyone else in the squad this pre-season.

Has the Club actually said anything about this Juan fellow? They've made a big deal about all the other trialists but not the guy who has played in all of the friendlies so far and probably has more minutes on the field than anyone else in the squad this pre-season.

No, the first I had heard of him was his name being mentioned as a replacement for the Estonian centre half on Friday night.

I haven't heard anything about him, but with him playing right back in the second half, he was speaking to Laurent in French.

No, the first I had heard of him was his name being mentioned as a replacement for the Estonian centre half on Friday night.

I haven't heard anything about him, but with him playing right back in the second half, he was speaking to Laurent in French.

That's because he is French mate!

Who is this 'Juan' fellow that the club and the Echo speak of?

His name is Jean. J-e-a-n. That's what Jeff told me after the game. He plays/played for Lens in France and is a friend of Jeff's. Jeff recommended him to Tilly.

Last edited:
That's because he is French, not Spanish.

Who is this 'Juan' fellow that the club and the Echo speak of?

His name is Jean. J-e-a-n. That's what Jeff told me after the game. He plays/played for Lens in France and is a friend of Jeff's. Jeff recommended him to Tilly.

That would make sense, cheers for clearing that up.

You got anymore information on him?

The players didn't seem to know what to call him either I heard Juan, Shaun and another name that escapes me.

I wonder if Jeff has a mate who can play left back...

Tad harsh I think Andy! He did well considering he's behind on his fitness, flew from Bulgaria (I think Brushy said) to Spain and then Spain to here in the last 4 days, and linked up with the team for the first time yesterday (hence doesn't know anyone).

He won stuff in the air, and he did some decent distribution on the ground to players' feet. That's more than a certain P. Clarke could do.

Made a few positioning errors towards the end, but the guy was blowing out of his @rsehole, what do you expect?

Last edited:
Back