• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Spread Eagle Closing Down

Southend as a town is seriously going down the plug hole - how many grounds do you know of that don't have a decent pub?
A town the size of southend should have a number - I'm struggling to think of one.
Fully agree, non really that are close to town centre and pubs as opposed to tap bars.
But that is the same with the sea front now too.

I remember going in the upstairs room in the Spread when I played as a very young lad for Southchurch Rovers back in the early 70s. That's where the teams were selected and players were advised if selected and where the game was on the coming Saturday. Of course I was underage so couldn't possibly have a pint. 1/4d for the first I ever had... light and bitter because I'd been told you would get more than a pint as they kind of half filled a pint glass with the bitter then gave you a bottle of light and it was always more than a pint.
I was talking in one of my locals with a London mate last night about exactly the same thing. You could always rely on at least a pint and a quarter of a light and bitter...……………………………….. Shame about the Spread, and the Nelson of course. Great memories !!!

At the end of the day , you have to feel sorry for the family that are going to lose there home .

Back