• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stadia you've been to.

Never been there ...but apparently Seattle Seahawks stadium is a "wall of noise"..

not that I follow NFL..:Blush:

It really is, but the Baseball field down the road is better in terms of fan experience in my opinion. Would give both of them a slight edge over New Wembley, although they're all rather good.

Worst for me would be the Millenium Stadium - awful soulless ****hole (although I rather liked it when we beat Lincoln there).

Favourite? I have a soft spot for Layer Road because it was such a tinpot shed and I will never forget watching the yokels file out of there when we were 3-0 up after half an hour.

It really is, but the Baseball field down the road is better in terms of fan experience in my opinion. Would give both of them a slight edge over New Wembley, although they're all rather good.

Worst for me would be the Millenium Stadium - awful soulless ****hole (although I rather liked it when we beat Lincoln there).

Favourite? I have a soft spot for Layer Road because it was such a tinpot shed and I will never forget watching the yokels file out of there when we were 3-0 up after half an hour.
Agreed I always enjoyed going there. I only wish that was the last game we played at Layer Road but the next season was the game they turned the tables and beat us 3-0, the infamous Maher-Duguid game. We’d have beaten them if it was 11 vs 11! And maybe stayed up, who knows. Much prefer old fashioned stadia to characterless all seater jobs but that’s my age isn’t it ...

Last edited:
In my mind, there is so much more to a stadium besides its interior appearance. Location, and facilities within that location, are equally important and add / detract from my 'football experience' day. As does the passion generated by the locals.

Without doubt, the worst ground in this country is West Ham's london stadium. In a soul-less sterile location, nothing around it to keep the natives happy. Having seen how the move has negatively affected that club, I worry massively the impact Fossett's Farm could potentially have on Southend United, All across the country, traditional stadia have been torn down in the name of footballing progress. But the real agenda behind almost every move has been free'ing up real-estate driven by greed. Been to dozens. and dozens........but can hardly think of one club re-location where their new gaff trumps their old one - all things considered. And rarely does anything to improve the long term on-pitch fortunes or league placings, despite what the owners tell the fans.

Roots Hall has some real tradition and quirkyness about it. Its a special and unique place. I dont ever wanna lose that. You dont know what you love till its gone.

.but can hardly think of one club re-location where their new gaff trumps their old one - all things considered. And rarely does anything to improve the long term on-pitch fortunes or league placings, despite what the owners tell the fans.

Roots Hall has some real tradition and quirkyness about it. Its a special and unique place. I dont ever wanna lose that. You dont know what you love till its gone.

There's quite a few:-
Southampton Dell to St Mary's 15,000 crowds boosted to 30,000+
Brighton Withdean to Amex 6,000 crowds now 30,000
Reading Elm Park to Madjeski 5,000 crowds now 18,000

Even new grounds like Colchester, Shrewsbury etc have far more matchday and non matchday income than Roots Hall.

Roots Hall was great as a terraced ground but is now showing it's age. How many other clubs have 3 stands with asbestos! We have been left behind with only us and Luton not updating any stands for over 25 years.
Mind you not long to go now at Roots Hall now as Ron stated only the other week we will be in our new ground for the start of 2021/2 season!

Last edited:
^^ I hear you, but I remain convinced that a match day income for a club has no direct correlation as to how much the average punter enjoys their day. The board may disagree, but the average punter.........I'm not sold. You could argue better players etc, but then you get into the prem trap of massive spending and debt just to stand still. The same argument applies for bigger crowds........ they do not mean an improved experience on or off field, but a partial trade-in of club soul in return for a more sanitised experience (all in my humble opinion of course).

I know loads are looking forward to FF, but its a big no from me. We would've lost something very special, for no true return.

^^ I hear you, but I remain convinced that a match day income for a club has no direct correlation as to how much the average punter enjoys their day. The board may disagree, but the average punter.........I'm not sold. You could argue better players etc, but then you get into the prem trap of massive spending and debt just to stand still. The same argument applies for bigger crowds........ they do not mean an improved experience on or off field, but a partial trade-in of club soul in return for a more sanitised experience (all in my humble opinion of course).

I know loads are looking forward to FF, but its a big no from me. We would've lost something very special, for no true return.

RH is falling apart and it won't be long before it would be condemned. Then what do we do?

The saddest thing about RH was the demolition of the South Bank.

Had we somehow been able to retain that, we could have made some improvements to the existing ground and still had a decent capacity.

The problem has always been the debt and FF is seen as the way out, rather than finding an investor to re-generate RH.

Off to Milan on Friday for a long-weekend incorporating AC v Napoli at the San Siro. Another old, iconic stadium in it's last days.

It may have been mentioned already, but it's such a shame to see York City's new stadium take shape. Utterly soulless 8,000 all-seater, in the middle of a huge shopping park four miles out of town. That's 'progress', I suppose.

RH is falling apart and it won't be long before it would be condemned. Then what do we do?

I agree about its condition, but as other clubs before us, we have to ask 'why' has RH been allowed to decline into such dis-repair ? It suits the agenda of prizing well located football stadia away from the clubs, and onto the outskirts of towns. Sadly the football plays second fiddle compared to the primary business drivers for a lot of these owners.

Anyway, apologies for hijacking the thread.

My best UK stadium(s) - Everton, Fulham, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich
Worst - West Ham

A new stadium isn't a bad thing, its the location and design that is the problem.

Now I may be biased but the worst 2 new ones have to be West Ham and Col U. For completely different reasons but still absolute shockers. Col U is a lower league model of how not to do it....Location, parking, access from parking etc.

I have been in Shrewsbury's main stand and their bar areas very good. The ground is spoilt by having big gaps in the corners so its cold and windy. Blackpool don't have anything at the back of one stand down the side. Not even some old sterling board or tin sheets. The wind just whistles through, was freezing up their a couple of seasons ago. Rotherham is decent but your to far back from the pitch in Doncaster.

Jim's bar at Fleetwood is one of the best. Along with Posh and Chesterfield. If you would have your 21st or your 60th in there, then its good place to go before and after a game and feels like your local. Huge soulless, sports hall size bars at Port Vale or Crew never work.

The problem we face is too many people who think they know best all have a say. If you let people build their own homes you get some great results. If not you end up with Barratt/Wimpey type homes

I agree about its condition, but as other clubs before us, we have to ask 'why' has RH been allowed to decline into such dis-repair ? It suits the agenda of prizing well located football stadia away from the clubs, and onto the outskirts of towns. Sadly the football plays second fiddle compared to the primary business drivers for a lot of these owners.

Anyway, apologies for hijacking the thread.

My best UK stadium(s) - Everton, Fulham, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich
Worst - West Ham

Don't apologise at all @LOS .

You make some passionate and well observed points, which are always welcome.

I used to love Peterborough's away end, before they tore it down and replaced it with a neutral stand.

The ground I want to visit most is Goodison Park, was too young when we played there in the Cup.

I've done about 75 of the 92 but have been stuck on that number for quite a while.

Best UK ground I've been to: The Vetch Field
Worst: Glanford Park or Kassam Stadium

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot the Withdean. Truly awful. But I have seen us win there twice.

Best The Amex Brighton
Worst Goodison Park
Favourite San Siro

Best: I went to the San Siro (aka Giuseppe Meazza) in 2011 to see my 'second' team to coin a phrase, the atmosphere was just incredible. The attendance was 77,276 and Milan went on to beat Napoli 3-0 and won the league by the end of the season (we've been shocking ever since unfortunately!). It was the loudest atmosphere I've ever experienced and was amazing to see live the likes of Nesta, Van Bommel, Thiago Silva, Gattuso, Robinho and of course the one and only Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Worst: Dead heat between the Withdean and MK Dons Hockey Stadium I'd say. As others have said, I actually like the 'old school' grounds as they have/had character, I imagine if I went back to see Southend play Cardiff City anytime soon I doubt the atmosphere would compare to the time we went there and beat them 1-0 at Ninian Park with a stonking free-kick from Lee Bradbury.

Favourite: Not sure I really have a favourite ground (bar Roots Hall and the aforementioned San Siro of course), Been to Molineux a couple of times (lost both heavily heh) but really liked the stadium, atmosphere in and outside the ground was great as well.

IMG_20110228_204257.jpg

Best: I went to the San Siro (aka Giuseppe Meazza) in 2011 to see my 'second' team to coin a phrase, the atmosphere was just incredible. The attendance was 77,276 and Milan went on to beat Napoli 3-0 and won the league by the end of the season (we've been shocking ever since unfortunately!). It was the loudest atmosphere I've ever experienced and was amazing to see live the likes of Nesta, Van Bommel, Thiago Silva, Gattuso, Robinho and of course the one and only Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Worst: Dead heat between the Withdean and MK Dons Hockey Stadium I'd say. As others have said, I actually like the 'old school' grounds as they have/had character, I imagine if I went back to see Southend play Cardiff City anytime soon I doubt the atmosphere would compare to the time we went there and beat them 1-0 at Ninian Park with a stonking free-kick from Lee Bradbury.

Favourite: Not sure I really have a favourite ground (bar Roots Hall and the aforementioned San Siro of course), Been to Molineux a couple of times (lost both heavily heh) but really liked the stadium, atmosphere in and outside the ground was great as well.

View attachment 9986
Been to the San Siro a couple of years ago only about 35,000 crowd very poor atmosphere compared to say German grounds.

Back