• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stadium Design

Stadium Design - ...is it what you expected?

• Better than I expected - very pleased

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • It's about what I expected

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Disappointed with the design

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Reading Shrimper

First XI
So, what's everyones opinions on it?
I for one think it's FANTASTIC. Uncle Ron has really come up trumps with something distinctive, attractive and with a view to the future. I'm particulary excited about the hotel rooms that are also Exec boxes and the 'club level' decking, restuarants and bars. This is above and beyond what I expected, and I can't wait till the first brick is laid!
unclesam.gif

Nothing like I expected but I like what im seeing alot. Not run of the mill, a bit of originality and it's going to make alot of people sit up and take notice. Uncle Ron has done damn good.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Reading Shrimper @ Oct. 02 2006,20:32)]So, what's everyones opinions on it?
I for one think it's FANTASTIC. Uncle Ron has really come up trumps with something distinctive, attractive and with a view to the future. I'm particulary excited about the hotel rooms that are also Exec boxes and the 'club level' decking, restuarants and bars. This is above and beyond what I expected, and I can't wait till the first brick is laid!  
unclesam.gif
'club level' decking will no doubt also attract a premium on the admission price.

Ron Martin hopes that the new stadium can help push the club onto the next level. But with 22,000 seats, club level decking, 46 executive boxes, lets hope we are still in the Championship when this ground gets built
rock.gif

it's superb. Different from the usual off the shelf designs. Very individual. In fact it's unique as far as I can see. Let's hope the council support it.

Its 10 times the bargain-basement jobbie I feared we'd end up with. Beautiful, big and unique.

If Ron can deliver us this ground then he should get the freedom of the town.

Looks very nice and defiantely more unique then all the others. But from the pictures, the stands dont look that steep. I think steeper stands would be better to make the stadium look bigger than it actually is and make it more intimidating

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimper4life @ Oct. 02 2006,21:50)]Looks very nice and defiantely more unique then all the others. But from the pictures, the stands dont look that steep. I think steeper stands would be better to make the stadium look bigger than it actually is and make it more intimidating
To be honest I don't think the stands are an issue in terms of making it an intimidating place for the opposition, the shape of the stadium is far more important and the fact it's a bowl shape means that a great atmosphere can be generated (remember Swansea last season - deafening!).

Absolutely FIRST CLASS design - far in excess of what I realistically expected. It's unique (you can't get much more unique than having the stand roof in the shape of a shrimp!) and is enclosed which is vital for a good atmosphere. It's a world away from the various soul-less lego-set stadiums that many sides have built in the recent past (Millwall and Oxford are just two that spring readily to mind).

One word Uncle Ron - THANKYOU!!!

wink.gif

Bit of a landslide this poll isn't it, can't say I'm surprised though.

Who was the one solitary person so far who doesn't like the design - some people are never happy are they
wink.gif

Think its great as well!! So pleased its not like every other new stadium I've visited... Looks classy!!

looks really good but no costs announced that ive seen yet.
Im still very sceptical that this will happen, especially on the time scale they have announced, and still concerned about how to get there. Lets face it, if we are doing badly how many people will want to drive into southend and get a bus out to the farm? At the moment a car parking ticket costs 90 quid for the season. The 1000 spaces at the "new" ground will probably cost 200 quid or more. Its 2½ miles form roots hall so walking wont be popular.
Sorry to be negative chaps but i'm trying to cover the downside. If it skints the club and we do badly on the pitch, a 22000 capacity stadium with 10,000 in it will be awful.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveo1 @ Oct. 03 2006,00:16)]Lets face it, if we are doing badly how many people will want to drive into southend and get a bus out to the farm? At the moment a car parking ticket costs 90 quid for the season. The 1000 spaces at the "new" ground will probably cost 200 quid or more. Its 2½ miles form roots hall so walking wont be popular.
Actually it is 1.3 miles from Roots Hall to the proposed area, so is easily walkable when you consider other grounds.

Yeah, its surprisingly near to the current ground, and to the town centre.

Hopefully there'll be some sort of park & ride scheme. Plus I believe that improved transport links to that part of town are part of the proposal.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveo1 @ Oct. 03 2006,01:16)]Its 2½ miles form roots hall so walking wont be popular.
Let's get the facts right: it's barely a mile away from Roots Hall as the crow flies. In any case, I didn't realise that everyone who attends matches at Roots Hall lived in such close proximity to it! Don't let any potential burglers know that just about every house around the ground is empty on matchday!!  
biggrin.gif

Invalid argument as far as I am concerned; I'm guessing those who live in the eastern side of town will be thrilled that they won't have to endure the congestion trying to get to Roots Hall. It looks as if those who live in the western side of town will have two options for access by car if they so wished to drive to the game. As far as I can see it, this scheme opens up a new world for supporting football in Southend. Roots Hall is a beloved traditional football stadium, but it's a tired and shambolic image of its former self. Time for a move ... at last.

With reference to the height of the stadium...a large rake (i.e. steepness of stand) does not always translate into a good view, and/or a good atmosphere.
Having recently carried out the defects report at Coventry's Ricoh Arena, I can tell anyone that went to Leicester City, that the Ricoh looks about twice the size, but has an almost identical capacity. Why so? Because the roofline is so damn high....if anything, this will deaden the atmosphere, and will just look silly.

From my perspective as an architect (although now not working as one!), HOK are a good choice, but will definitely come at a premium. Their work is unique, quality, but expensive. I'd expect the build cost to be fairly high as well. Hold the back page!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (M25 Shrimpers @ Oct. 03 2006,09:24)]I'd expect the build cost to be fairly high as well.  Hold the back page!
biggrin.gif
The cost quoted a few months back was about £25 million which is less than what Swansea's new ground cost (£30m) & Huddersfield (£40m).

I expect some of the costs are offset by the retail development because to build a ground like our new proposed one would cost more than £25m?

It's a fantastic, original design, and Uncle Ron should be congratulated. Let's hope the Old Farts on Southend Council realise that this is a fantastic opportunity for the town, and should be given the backing it deserves.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Up the Shrimps @ Oct. 03 2006,09:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (M25 Shrimpers @ Oct. 03 2006,09:24)]I'd expect the build cost to be fairly high as well.  Hold the back page!
biggrin.gif
The cost quoted a few months back was about £25 million which is less than what Swansea's new ground cost (£30m) & Huddersfield (£40m).

I expect some of the costs are offset by the retail development because to build a ground like our new proposed one would cost more than £25m?
I can't see it being £25 million...should prepare yourselves for a much higher cost. I am working on Doncaster's new ground at the moment, and given the costs involved for what they are getting, I'd expect us to be paying much much more.

I would suggest you are quite correct with your assumption that some of the costs will be offset by associated development such as the hotel/retail facilities.

Back