• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Stadium update please!

Statues??
Tiily
Webb
Barrett
Poutney
Maybe maher
Freddy
Thats the list for me....one of them. In fact I'd probably go Tilly. Imo possibly one of the greatest shrimpers of all time.

Thats all fairly recent in the big picture of SUFC, but surely the likes of Billy Best etc etc and going further back than that deserve a place on the list.

Not that I would know of course, but some of the more elderly gents on here like @Rootshallbloke @THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK @E for B and Billy Best and a few others may be able to help you. :Smile:

Hurt, hurt deeply hurt. Nay, shocked and hurt.
Now you see, @Cricko does keep insisting that he would not know about things and continues to cast Nasturtiums towards other Zone members. But is it just possible that he doesn't know because he has passed the point where he can remember anything. It's not impossible, and if true, the next stop is a home!

If we're having statues, there's so many options...

William Sutherland - WW1 casualty, after leaving Southend was caretaker at Cecil Jones, before enlisting
Archie Wilson - WW1 casualty, helped us win promotion in 1913
Sandy Anderson- record number of league games
Arthur Williamson - record consecutive appearances
Jimmy Evans - first cap whilst playing forthe club and leading goalscorer whilst defender
Billy Hick - leading goalscorer - 69 goals in 106 games
Jimmy Shankly - record number of goals in one season
Dave Robinson - player/trainer/staff member, 60 years at club in total
George MacKenzie - most caps whilst at club
Roy Hollis - 135 goals, highest number of goals for the club

I'd see any of those up there. Personally, Dave Robinson epitomises Southend

If we're having statues, there's so many options...

William Sutherland - WW1 casualty, after leaving Southend was caretaker at Cecil Jones, before enlisting
Archie Wilson - WW1 casualty, helped us win promotion in 1913
Sandy Anderson- record number of league games
Arthur Williamson - record consecutive appearances
Jimmy Evans - first cap whilst playing forthe club and leading goalscorer whilst defender
Billy Hick - leading goalscorer - 69 goals in 106 games
Jimmy Shankly - record number of goals in one season
Dave Robinson - player/trainer/staff member, 60 years at club in total
George MacKenzie - most caps whilst at club
Roy Hollis - 135 goals, highest number of goals for the club

I'd see any of those up there. Personally, Dave Robinson epitomises Southend

You don't think Oliver Trigg deserves one? And Alan Moody for that matter.

Subject: Fossetts Farm stadium build 'to start next year' | Echo

The only slight worry is the viability of having a hotel as part of the complex given the sad news about Southend Airport losing all Easyjet flights. Will a hotel company still want to go ahead?

The only slight worry is the viability of having a hotel as part of the complex given the sad news about Southend Airport losing all Easyjet flights. Will a hotel company still want to go ahead?

As I said, don't expect planning permission to be granted this side of the New Year:

That revised planning application is yet to be submitted to the council but Blues boss Ron Martin expressed confidence in the new timetable

Easyjet has made an absolutely atrocious decision and the vast majority of their routes from SEN were very profitable. Only a matter of time before they get picked up by somebody else. Aside from that, the hotel was just as much if not more about providing the town with its best-quality conference facilities.

As I said, don't expect planning permission to be granted this side of the New Year:

Nah, I just don't get that line of thinking. Woodley himself has said in the article that there can be no more delays. The council have signed on to manage the housing - it fulfils their new housing quota and will make them an insane amount of money in rent. It is now in their own best interests to get this thing approved as quickly as humanly possible. Ron Martin has been working directly with the council's planning department to get the plans to the stage where they should fly through. Ron clearly believes something will happen as he has promised the HMRC and the court that the tax bill will be paid and the club proven to be an solvent in the short-medium term via a refinancing package triggered by the receipt of planning permission for the new stadium.

Nah, I just don't get that line of thinking. Woodley himself has said in the article that there can be no more delays. The council have signed on to manage the housing - it fulfils their new housing quota and will make them an insane amount of money in rent. It is now in their own best interests to get this thing approved as quickly as humanly possible. Ron Martin has been working directly with the council's planning department to get the plans to the stage where they should fly through. Ron clearly believes something will happen as he has promised the HMRC and the court that the tax bill will be paid and the club proven to be an solvent in the short-medium term via a refinancing package triggered by the receipt of planning permission for the new stadium.

You seem to have your timings mixed up. Paying the tax man seems to revolve around this refinancing business. It can't have anything to do with planning permission because planning permission, and any loan won't be sorted in the next month, not least because the plans haven't been submitted yet.

As it happens I agree that the council now want to get a move on, but I still don't think we're likely to get planning permission before the new year. IIRC Ron expects to sumbit the plans in September but when has he ever done anything on time? So let's assume plans are submitted in October. The council still have to do a lot of work via their planning department. The planning committee then need to approve and then so does the full council. With the best will in the world that will take 6-8 weeks which takes us up to the middle of December. All it needs is a small delay like the planning inspectors asking for more details (which has happened numerous times before) and you're in to Christmas.

The likelihood is that planning permission won't be granted until early next year. However, that won't really delay things if work isn't expected to start until spring.

You seem to have your timings mixed up. Paying the tax man seems to revolve around this refinancing business. It can't have anything to do with planning permission because planning permission, and any loan won't be sorted in the next month, not least because the plans haven't been submitted yet.

As it happens I agree that the council now want to get a move on, but I still don't think we're likely to get planning permission before the new year. IIRC Ron expects to sumbit the plans in September but when has he ever done anything on time? So let's assume plans are submitted in October. The council still have to do a lot of work via their planning department. The planning committee then need to approve and then so does the full council. With the best will in the world that will take 6-8 weeks which takes us up to the middle of December. All it needs is a small delay like the planning inspectors asking for more details (which has happened numerous times before) and you're in to Christmas.

The likelihood is that planning permission won't be granted until early next year. However, that won't really delay things if work isn't expected to start until spring.

True enough, but I still think it'll be this year. That being said, with council and club getting plans to the stage where approval is a mere formality, perhaps it's simply submission of plans which will trigger the refinancing, since I suspect that'll be good enough for the Zakays or whichever multi-millionaire property development partner of Ron's has agreed to release funds.

True enough, but I still think it'll be this year. That being said, with council and club getting plans to the stage where approval is a mere formality, perhaps it's simply submission of plans which will trigger the refinancing, since I suspect that'll be good enough for the Zakays or whichever multi-millionaire property development partner of Ron's has agreed to release funds.

Either way, we'll either get planning permission this side or the other side of the New Year. I guess neither of us really know, so we'll just have to wait and see. I guess, what I'm really saying, though, is don't get your hopes up as there are still hurdles to jump through. What I'm also saying is don't be disheartened if it is next year because it won't make that much difference to the overall timeline.

Back