• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ Nov. 26 2006,16:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matty the Shrimper @ Nov. 26 2006,16:24)]I don't think somehow the AR is going to answer anything if Bennett has lied to the media. Then if he has lied to the media Bennett can kiss goodbye to his career (yea I know some will be happy) which somehow I don't think his going to do!

Clearly the AR has seen the incident and buzzed the referee.
I bet you believe everything you read in the papers as well!  Get real, Bennett would do anything to extend his career the story will stay the same whatever happened.

The only answer that any of them can now come out with to preserve their situation is that they definitely saw Maher lump DoBad.  We know it's a lie.  They know it's a lie, as they might have thought they saw something but they don't really know what.  The decision will not get changed because they'll continue the lie.

Hey.  Has Graham Poll ever really admitted that he got it wrong in the World Cup?  His explanation that he "thought" he'd booked someone else with a similar name was the quickest crappiest porky pie that he could come up with.  Ref in dyslexia shocker?  
rock.gif
When a referee comes out with a statement like that, it is spot on the truth. Bennett, did not see the incident, simple as that. Yes I agree the lino has 'thought' he has seen, something and has been fooled by Duguid. That happens every week in football, its very frustrating.

If it goes to appeal, which now looks highly likely, the AR will say that he saw Maher strike Duguid. To be perfectly honest the TV replay doesn't show anything! Its very unconclusive and the way Duguid goes down and my understanding of Football's disciplinary system leads me to believe that Maher will be missing for 3 games.

BTW Hooly, have you ever refereed? To say infront of the world you have made a mistake is bloody difficult! As far as I remember Poll said he did make a mistake and saying that "he thought he'd booked someone else with a similar name was" is admitting you've made a mistake. Poll was far and away the best referee in that tournament for man management etc. and was on for the final. He had one terrible game and paid the price. Imagine how he feels?!

If you ever fancy doing a referees course and refereeing then PM me and I will put you in touch with the right people.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matty the Shrimper @ Nov. 26 2006,16:56)]BTW Hooly, have you ever refereed? To say infront of the world you have made a mistake is bloody difficult! As far as I remember Poll said he did make a mistake and saying that "he thought he'd booked someone else with a similar name was" is admitting you've made a mistake. Poll was far and away the best referee in that tournament for man management etc. and was on for the final. He had one terrible game and paid the price. Imagine how he feels?!

If you ever fancy doing a referees course and refereeing then PM me and I will put you in touch with the right people.
Yep.  Did Sunday & Sceptre leagues for about 10 years, thank you.  Oh, and I did the course as well.  So I'm not quite the laws halfwit you'd like to presume.

But I did it with a different psyche to these overpaid prima-donna's.  I did it for fun & not to be the centre of attention.  I hope I was big enough to apologise if I thought I'd made a mistake and even had teams ask me to referee them even if they'd lost when I'd done their game.  I might not have been that good but all the mistakes I made were honest ones and the guys I refereed accepted that.

Nope, saying that "he thought he'd booked someone else with a similar name" was a rather pathetic explanation, which is several miles away from admitting a mistake or an apology. As a result he was quite rightly chucked out of the pool.  I saw Poll years ago when he was a lino at the Hall.  He was crap & over extravagant then & has never got any better.  He may bet the best the FA has but that say's more about the sad state of refereeing than it should.  I spoke to AB about the officials at the POY do & the players can't believe how bad they are.  If Poll ever referees a WC final that'll be the day I give up going to football.

Cheating of the scale of DoBad's does not happen every week at games I see.  This was an incident which even Maher has difficulty accepting.  Yes rules are transgressed in every game but I can't remember the last time I saw anything that even the home fans said was despicable.

Enter the real world.  Some people will do almost anything to preserve their positions & frankly I wouldn't trust Bennett or his AR futher than I could spit at them from!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ Nov. 26 2006,17:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matty the Shrimper @ Nov. 26 2006,16:56)]BTW Hooly, have you ever refereed? To say infront of the world you have made a mistake is bloody difficult! As far as I remember Poll said he did make a mistake and saying that "he thought he'd booked someone else with a similar name was" is admitting you've made a mistake. Poll was far and away the best referee in that tournament for man management etc. and was on for the final. He had one terrible game and paid the price. Imagine how he feels?!

Yep.  Did Sunday & Sceptre leagues for about 10 years, thank you.  Oh, and I did the course as well.  So I'm not quite the laws halfwit you'd like to presume.

But I did it with a different psyche to these overpaid prima-donna's.  I did it for fun & not to be the centre of attention.  I hope I was big enough to apologise if I thought I'd made a mistake and even had teams ask me to referee them even if they'd lost when I'd done their game.  I might not have been that good but all the mistakes I made were honest ones and the guys I refereed accepted that.

Nope, saying that "he thought he'd booked someone else with a similar name" was a rather pathetic explanation, which is several miles away from admitting a mistake or an apology.  As a result he was quite rightly chucked out of the pool.  I saw Poll years ago when he was a lino at the Hall.  He was crap & over extravagant then & has never got any better.  He may bet the best the FA has but that say's more about the sad state of refereeing than it should.  I spoke to AB about the officials at the POY do & the players can't believe how bad they are.  If Poll ever referees a WC final that'll be the day I give up going to football.

Cheating of the scale of DoBad's does not happen every week at games I see.  This was an incident which even Maher has difficulty accepting.  Yes rules are transgressed in every game but I can't remember the last time I saw anything that even the home fans said was despicable.

Enter the real world.  Some people will do almost anything to preserve their positions & frankly I wouldn't trust Bennett or his AR futher than I could spit at them from!
My point is if you have refereed, which you have you will understand that mistakes have been made. The AR clearly made a mistake based on what he thought he saw or what the crowd reaction led him to believe he saw and therefore he was pressurised into a decison.

I cannot for one second see how, anyone can class Steve Bennett as lying or being a primaddona. He has come out on radio and given an honest assessment of how the incident progressed from his point of view! What more can he do!? Everything is said will have been the gods honest truth! The AR has used his buzzer, the AR has (wrongly) reported a striking of a player. But what more can Bennett do and how does this make him an untrustworthy primaddona, preserving his position I don't know.

I too, now days referee on the Sceptre League (and other leagues) and like you give honest decisions week in, week out. Such as today when, in a Vets game at the Post Office ground, I gave an offside decision (without assistants) and then realised there was a guy standing on the post. Admitted to my mistake and told the players I had made the decision so we had to get on with the game. I don't see that as much different as Poll saying "he thought he'd booked someone else with a similar name." They are both stupid mistakes which should not get made but they are made.

As for suggesting you should referee, I was not trying to be patronising but merely showing how hard it is to referee. I am sure having done it for 10 years it is impossible to get it right all the time and obviously a mistake has been made in yesterday's game. If anyone read Chris Phillips article in the Echo a couple of month's back he highlighted this as he refereed one game after completing the course.

But sending someone off for something he didnt see is wrong. Its that simple. For that reason he should be suspended for a week or two so he is made accountable for he's actions.

Steve Bennett wasnt a cheat yesterday he was very very poor referee who got the big decisions completely wrong and let a small crowd influence hes mind set

I'm inclined to beleive Bennett when he said he didn't see it. He was keeping up with play (we were attacking and in a very promising position which seems to have been missed by everyone). Frankly what Duguid did was pathetic but Kevin should have been sprinting to the edge of the Col U box to pick up any pieces rather than waste valuable breath on that sack of sh!te.

IMO I can't see what Bennet has done wrong (ignore my ramblings about him immediately post match, more said in anger than rational thinking)
He made decisions based on the laws of the game yesterday and those decisions were dictated to him by the reaction of the AR and his perceptions of what happened.
If the AR has used his buzzer to draw the refs attention to an off the ball incident that warrants a red card then the ref is obliged to carry out the laws of the game and dismiss that player.
Now, the AR yesterday was clearly in the wrong and made a complete howler. Whether he was influenced by the home fans baying for blood or not only he knows but when it does go to an FA tribunal the only person that the FA are going to quiz on the incidents is the ref and as far as he is concerned he has carried out the punishment to the letter of the law. The AR will not be called to explain his actions and with the lack of conclusive TV or video evidence (that we know of) I fear that the appeal will fall on deaf ears and Kev's red card and three match ban will stand.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rusty Lee @ Nov. 26 2006,18:01)]But sending someone off for something he didnt see is wrong. Its that simple.
That's one of the reasons for having assistants. Just because he didn't see an offence does not mean he cannot take action on the word of an AR.

That's why they have buzzers, to alert the referee to something that perhaps he hasn't seen.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rusty Lee @ Nov. 26 2006,18:01)]Steve Bennett wasnt a cheat yesterday he was very very poor referee who got the big decisions completely wrong and let a small crowd influence hes mind set
Sorry, but I can't see what decisions 'Bennett' has got 'wrong.'

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ Nov. 26 2006,17:20)]
[b said:

Nope, saying that "he thought he'd booked someone else with a similar name" was a rather pathetic explanation, which is several miles away from admitting a mistake or an apology.  As a result he was quite rightly chucked out of the pool.  I saw Poll years ago when he was a lino at the Hall.  He was crap & over extravagant then & has never got any better.  He may bet the best the FA has but that say's more about the sad state of refereeing than it should.  I spoke to AB about the officials at the POY do & the players can't believe how bad they are.  If Poll ever referees a WC final that'll be the day I give up going to football.

Hooly, i totally agree that you did it for fun, and the enjoyment of the game.

You certainly didn't do it for keeping fit or agility purposes
tounge.gif

Seriously though, you were a top ref in your day!

Matty I agree that Bennett was not to blame for Maher's sending off but to say he did n't do anything wrong is ridiculous. How many times were our players fouled but managed to retainthe ball and move into promising positions only for him to belatedly blow and any chance we had went begging.

I personally think Uriah Rennie is a much better referee in that he lets the game flow and uses the advantage rule whilst Bennett is too whistle happy and that in my opinion makes him a poor ref.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (effy67 @ Nov. 26 2006,20:03)]Matty I agree that Bennett was not to blame for Maher's sending off but to say he did n't do anything wrong is ridiculous.  How many times were our players fouled but managed to retainthe ball and move into promising positions only for him to belatedly blow and any chance we had went begging.  
No i will have to backtrack on that statement. There were a number of advantages that Bennett missed that would have played in our advantage and he should have gone back and cautioned Col******r players.

Fair play Matty but you've not commented on who you think is the better ref one who undoubtedly makes mistakes but tries to let the game flow and in my mind makes it a better spectacle for that or jobsworth Bennett who just does n't seem to understand the game.

As a ref I would be interested in your views and which approach you take

In my opinion Steve Bennett comes a very poor third out of the three SG officials we have had lately. Rennie was excellent against Man Utd, Styles was accomplished against Plymouth. Both were happy to be part of the game rather than dominate it. Bennett refereed as if he felt the game was beneath him and the fixture was just something to get out of the way before he goes back to the Premiership.

His use of advantage was abject.

The culpability for Maher's dismissal was Duguid, the lino and Maher in that order. Bennett was NOT to blame for his dismissal. However a referee of his immense experience might have realised from the players' reactions that there was more to this incident than met the eye.

Subsequently he could have officiated with a little more sensitivity. Gower's challenge was foolish, not vicious; their guy was unlucky to be a belated attempt to even things up and was clumsy not malicious.

All in all, I expect better, much better, from a SG official.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mick @ Nov. 26 2006,20:19)]In my opinion Steve Bennett comes a very poor third out of the three SG officials we have had lately. Rennie was excellent against Man Utd, Styles was accomplished against Plymouth. Both were happy to be part of the game rather than dominate it. Bennett refereed as if he felt the game was beneath him and the fixture was just something to get out of the way before he goes back to the Premiership.

His use of advantage was abject.

The culpability for Maher's dismissal was Duguid, the lino and Maher in that order. Bennett was NOT to blame for his dismissal. However a referee of his immense experience might have realised from the players' reactions that there was more to this incident than met the eye.

Subsequently he could have officiated with a little more sensitivity. Gower's challenge was foolish, not vicious; their guy was unlucky to be a belated attempt to even things up and was clumsy not malicious.

All in all, I expect better, much better, from a SG official.
Very, very good summary Mick.

I don't think having a big smile at the away fans, despite what they were singing about him, is particularly clever.

Thereare some clubs where supporters would not have taken kindly to that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Prodigal Son @ Nov. 26 2006,20:29)]I don't think having a big smile at the away fans, despite what they were singing about him, is particularly clever.

I think the guy's just out to screw us over! That smile was blatantly a "I'd f$cked you over once, and now I've done it again" smile. He knew...oh, he knew...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jamessufc88 @ Nov. 26 2006,20:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Prodigal Son @ Nov. 26 2006,20:29)]I don't think having a big smile at the away fans, despite what they were singing about him, is particularly clever.

I think the guy's just out to screw us over!  That smile was blatantly a "I'd f$cked you over once, and now I've done it again" smile.  He knew...oh, he knew...
I think the smile was, 'Ive had 70,000 people shout at me, 500 Southend fans, I really don't care!'

Not the right attitude but made a referee smile!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (D62SUBOY @ Nov. 26 2006,18:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rusty Lee @ Nov. 26 2006,18:01)]But sending someone off for something he didnt see is wrong. Its that simple.
That's one of the reasons for having assistants. Just because he didn't see an offence does not mean he cannot take action on the word of an AR.

That's why they have buzzers, to alert the referee to something that perhaps he hasn't seen.
Assitant referee come be serious, exactly how did the assitant help?

By telling the referee that the Col******r player was trying to cheat
laugh.gif

Thanks shrimptank.  I may not have been "top" but I did my best, which I think most people accepted.

In my final word on this matter.  The whole premise of my argument is about whether you can trust Bennett, but you chose to think he'd not lie if you want. Personally, if he can put the blame on the AR I'm sure he would. I still maintain he was on the turn as the incident happened & saw some of it.

Lets face he goes home every Sat/Sun etc after a game and in answer to his wife's "how did it go dear?" he says "I had a good game today".  Lying week after week!  
mad.gif

I would have to agree about Hooly's refereeing abilitities. He allowed the game to flow & didn't mind if you tried to strangle your own team mate!!
tounge.gif

The point about Bennet's over all performance, is as I've said before, is he allowed continual misconduct by the same player to go unpunished!! As a result of this there was no flow to the game & he was continually stopping play when a team had advantage, mainly Southend.

For a Premiersh!t ref, he was worse than poor!

Back