• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Suarez

I feel that Uruguay should have been kicked out of the World Cup, which would have been wonderful poetic justice for Italy, and he should have had a minimum world wide football ban of 6 months.

I wonder what Liverpool are planning, if I was them I'd be ripping up his contract right now and refusing to pay him a penny for bringing them into disrepute and forcing them into an impossible position for the start of the season. Again.

FIFA are toothless. (Coat's already on!)

Uruguay don't deserve that due to the actions of one man...however without him they'll be on the plane home soon enough, (along with Costa Rica which will show how absolutely ****ing useless England (and Italy) are these days), as they're a spectacually average team.

I feel that Uruguay should have been kicked out of the World Cup, which would have been wonderful poetic justice for Italy, and he should have had a minimum world wide football ban of 6 months.

I wonder what Liverpool are planning, if I was them I'd be ripping up his contract right now and refusing to pay him a penny for bringing them into disrepute and forcing them into an impossible position for the start of the season. Again.

Incredible comment!

Why on earth should the whole country suffer through one blokes madness!

Why would you kick a whole team out for one players behaviour?

simple,if we found fault with a player from the other 31 teams,we could kick out the other 31 teams,then england would be world champions..footballs a simple game

I said that because I feel that is the only way it would actually HURT Suarez, the fact that Uruguay have defended his actions, and are appealing against the decision should make some of you consider the sense in this.

The ban won't hurt him, it didn't last time. The fine won't hurt him, it's a drop in the ocean for someone earning his kind of money. He needs to get the message that this type of behaviour is utterly, totally unacceptable and I believe the only way he would do so is to kick him where it hurts (and, no, that's not his knee this time).

It has been reported that he has said it will now be very hard for him to return to play in England. Because of an incident that happened in Brazil whilst playing for Uraguay against Italy, and the English connection is.....no you've lost me there Luis - you just want to play in Spain don't you?

What I don't get is how he's done this 3 times but nobody has tried to nail him on the pitch, I would have thought someone would have taken him out by now, tick tock ratty you will pick on the wrong guy one day.

He's a loon and should be punished accordingly. What I don't like is that he could have thrown an elbow or committed a shocking leg-breaking tackle and been back to play the final (had they got there). There should be a sense of perspective and yet reading this thread and others there doesn't seem to be one.

What I don't get is how he's done this 3 times but nobody has tried to nail him on the pitch, I would have thought someone would have taken him out by now, tick tock ratty you will pick on the wrong guy one day.

But that is what he is looking for.

I said that because I feel that is the only way it would actually HURT Suarez, the fact that Uruguay have defended his actions, and are appealing against the decision should make some of you consider the sense in this.

The ban won't hurt him, it didn't last time. The fine won't hurt him, it's a drop in the ocean for someone earning his kind of money. He needs to get the message that this type of behaviour is utterly, totally unacceptable and I believe the only way he would do so is to kick him where it hurts (and, no, that's not his knee this time).
Sorry OBL but there's no sense in this.

You can punish Suarez all you want, but there are players in the Uruguay team who have earned the right to be there and have played well and got out of the group. Punish Suarez, and potentially punish those who have made inappropriate comments in support, but banning the team is just crazy talk. If the roles were completely reversed and it was an English player and they chucked England out of the WC you'd be going (even more) nuts.:smile:

But that is what he is looking for.
I disagree, I think he's on another planet, he thinks he's untouchable. The fact that he is so quiet off the pitch = screw loose. As for putting this into perspective a leg breaking tackle these days is 99/100 times accidental, biting 3 times is not.

Leg breaking tackles are part of the game, without a doubt. Dangerous, reckless tackles should not be and are rightfully clamped down on because that is an injury which could cause serious damage.

I'm not great with the search engine here but can't find the thread showing Shrimperzone's collective outrage from when Jermain Defoe bit Javier Mascherano. Perhaps it got deleted. Perhaps it is because Defoe is English.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-412157/Mascherano-rages-FA-punish-Defoe.html

Leg breaking tackles are part of the game, without a doubt. Dangerous, reckless tackles should not be and are rightfully clamped down on because that is an injury which could cause serious damage.

I'm not great with the search engine here but can't find the thread showing Shrimperzone's collective outrage from when Jermain Defoe bit Javier Mascherano. Perhaps it got deleted. Perhaps it is because Defoe is English.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-412157/Mascherano-rages-FA-punish-Defoe.html

Perhaps it's because it was the first and probably last time he did something so stupid (and weird).

Suarez is a repeat offender and a racist and outside of Merseyside isn't particularly popular. He's bitten someone on literally the biggest stage and so there's going to be a lot of 'outrage'. I think it also comes down to the fact that England have crashed out and it gives us something else to discuss!

Surprised you're playing the race card to defend a racist and to my knowledge Defoe did it once not 3 times. To suggest people in the UK, yes the UK not just England, are jumping on the bandwagon because he's not English is ludicrous. There has been worldwide condemnation over this.

There actually hasn't been worldwide condemnation. Even the Italians are more annoyed that they're out rather than this. From what I've seen most of the rest of the World thought it was ridiculous, pathetic but ultimately fairly funny (not a million miles from Martin Jol's reaction to the Defoe incident actually).

Suarez is a pantomime villain. He deserves everything he gets. I just hope the next time someone throws an elbow or goes in over the top to "do" someone they get an eight month ban because those are twice the crime that this is.

The only issue I can see with dishing out lengthy bans for tackles like that is proving intent. What do you do about the Shawcross tackle that broke Ramsey's leg? It was a clumsy and late challenge, but he also gets a tug from the Arsenal player and his foot bounces over the ball. Arsenal fans have been so convinced of his intent that they still vilify him to this day, but to take someone out of the game for four months or longer is, to me, overkill.

The only issue I can see with dishing out lengthy bans for tackles like that is proving intent. What do you do about the Shawcross tackle that broke Ramsey's leg? It was a clumsy and late challenge, but he also gets a tug from the Arsenal player and his foot bounces over the ball. Arsenal fans have been so convinced of his intent that they still vilify him to this day, but to take someone out of the game for four months or longer is, to me, overkill.

The only tackles that really stand out as 'retribution' or really looking to hurt someone are the Ben Thatcher one and the Kevin Muscat one.

The problem for FIFA is that the major events like this are usual and unique. So the things that definitely deserve strong punishment (racism, Ben Thatcher, Suarez (Defoe) biting, Cantona etc) are the sum total of 20 years football and all quite different. It's why I think a suspended sentence should be applied, to stop repeat offending (which Suarez is).

Sorry OBL but there's no sense in this.

You can punish Suarez all you want, but there are players in the Uruguay team who have earned the right to be there and have played well and got out of the group. Punish Suarez, and potentially punish those who have made inappropriate comments in support, but banning the team is just crazy talk. If the roles were completely reversed and it was an English player and they chucked England out of the WC you'd be going (even more) nuts.:smile:

But is it fair to punish Liverpool for something he did while on international duty? I think the reason it's made the headlines over here is because of the two very recent incidents involving him, the racist one and the bite on Ibramhovic (sp?).

I guess my opinion is clouded a bit by the old teacher punishment of punishing the whole class because one child refused to own up....the idea that the one shouldn't let down the whole.

Back