• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Suarez

But is it fair to punish Liverpool for something he did while on international duty? I think the reason it's made the headlines over here is because of the two very recent incidents involving him, the racist one and the bite on Ibramhovic (sp?).

I guess my opinion is clouded a bit by the old teacher punishment of punishing the whole class because one child refused to own up....the idea that the one shouldn't let down the whole.

Liverpool aren't being punished. Suarez is.

If I was a delivery driver and one night drank drove in my car and got my license taken off me, then I wouldn't just be allowed to drive for my job. Most likely my employment contract would be torn up.

Liverpool might be able to tear up his contract (I'm no employment law expert) but they won't because he's a valuable asset, even when not playing. I'm sure they'll sell if someone offers them enough money.

Last edited:
Liverpool aren't being punished. Suarez is.

If I was a delivery driver and one night drank drive in my car and got my licensed taken off me, then I wouldn't just be allowed to drive for my job. Most likely my employment contract would be torn up.

Liverpool might be able to tear up his contract (I'm no employment law expert) but they won't because he's a valuable asset, even when not playing. I'm sure they'll sell if someone offers them enough money.

I very much doubt Uruguay will progress further without him, and I also very much doubt Liverpool will have the success they did last season without him. I just hope they find a way to get rid, don't want to see his toothy mug on our screens ever again.

But is it fair to punish Liverpool for something he did while on international duty?

It's Liverpool, so yes. If I had it my way I'd have banned Suarez for life while making Liverpool honour the ludicrous contract they handed to him last summer just for the indignant rage that'd pour out of Merseyside.

It's Liverpool, so yes. If I had it my way I'd have banned Suarez for life while making Liverpool honour the ludicrous contract they handed to him last summer just for the indignant rage that'd pour out of Merseyside.

Fair point! :smile:

Liverpool taking legal advice. Pretty much as expected, this is exactly the kind of flashpoint the G-14 are looking for, and they're itching for a fight. This'll drag on.

It has been reported that he has said it will now be very hard for him to return to play in England. Because of an incident that happened in Brazil whilst playing for Uraguay against Italy, and the English connection is.....no you've lost me there Luis - you just want to play in Spain don't you?

Frankly, I just don't get what all the fuss is about in the UK.

Yes, he fully deserved his recent ban but I for one, will be quite happy to watch him play in Spain (if that's where he finally ends up).

When all's said and done he's a great player.

Frankly, I just don't get what all the fuss is about in the UK.

Yes, he fully deserved his recent ban but I for one, will be quite happy to watch him play in Spain (if that's where he finally ends up).

When all's said and done he's a great player.

Yeah. Three counts of ABH and one of racial abuse. No big deal. No harm, no foul.

Yeah. Three counts of ABH and one of racial abuse. No big deal. No harm, no foul.

He obviously has anger-management issues, (to use the contemporary jargon).

Frankly,biting is something I associate with Primary,Nursery oe even pre-school school behaviour.

That said-and he has been punished for his offences-he is still a great player to watch.

He destroyed England, almost on his own.Is that what this is all about?

I can see why Liverpool are considering legal action - this is a bit hard on them seeing as he wasn't on their watch at the time.

Having said that, if you will give a massive contract extension to someone with Suárez's track record you're asking for bother.

Still, this is Liverpool Football Club we are talking about here. So I am sure the whole debate will be reasoned, logical and at no point descend into whining about them being persecuted once again.

I guess people can keep going back to that one as this is a unique case - ie no other player has ever been done three times for biting fellow professionals and, given the lack of historical precedent it MUST be a case of English sour grapes rather than reasonable folk being pretty appalled that one grown man is biting another. Again. And again.

Suarez should have all his teeth removed then he can only be accused of "*******" an opponent:smile:

It has far more to do with his previous behaviour, that of racially abusing someone, attempting to deny it, then accepting he did and trying to hide behind flimsy cultural defences, then refusing to apologise, and then continually barking about being persecuted by the English who have the absolute gall to take a dim view of racists and their kind.

Are you sympathising with his racism, Barna? Is that why you moved to a country that has certainly had its issues with racism? Is that what this is about?

It has far more to do with his previous behaviour, that of racially abusing someone, attempting to deny it, then accepting he did and trying to hide behind flimsy cultural defences, then refusing to apologise, and then continually barking about being persecuted by the English who have the absolute gall to take a dim view of racists and their kind.

Are you sympathising with his racism, Barna? Is that why you moved to a country that has certainly had its issues with racism? Is that what this is about?

Any evidence for your claim that Spain (or Catalonia) has "issues with racism?"

As Macauley observed "there is nothing more ridiculous than the British public in one of its periodic fits of morality."

BmQapbbCIAELaCh.jpg

As Macauley observed "there is nothing more ridiculous than the British public in one of its periodic fits of morality."

Another example....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...lking-off-after-racist-abuse-at-Zaragoza.html

And it's not just isolated in football...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7229551.stm

Barna, I know you're a reader, here's one for you to have a look at.

http://www.casadellibro.com/libro-tarjeta-negra-al-racismo/9788470745454/2080084

Mostly old sports news and certainly no different from what used to happen regularly in British football, back in the day.

Not that I would condone it for a moment.

FYI,modern Catalan and Spanish society is,IMO,no more or less racist than GB.

But is it fair to punish Liverpool for something he did while on international duty? I think the reason it's made the headlines over here is because of the two very recent incidents involving him, the racist one and the bite on Ibramhovic (sp?).

I guess my opinion is clouded a bit by the old teacher punishment of punishing the whole class because one child refused to own up....the idea that the one shouldn't let down the whole.

I'd have more sympathy for Liverpool if he hadn't done the same thing (and other crimes, a word which I use deliberately here) when in a Liverpool shirt and if they hadn't have backed him.

Mostly old sports news and certainly no different from what used to happen regularly in British football, back in the day.

Not that I would condone it for a moment.

FYI,modern Catalan and Spanish society is,IMO,no more or less racist than GB.

Used to. We have, fortunately, moved on.

Back