• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer Transfer Window Thread 2019

As Riggers, rightly imo, points out we have had a very eventful last few decades and talk of "drifting"is way off mark.
At the start of last season I thought we had a very good squad but Mantom and Dieng and Hyem (plus MK) didn't perform. Hoppy got crocked, and the rest went to the treatment room en masse.
Hump and Hart great signings, (the "non foul" assault on Hump was a disaster) and retrospectively letting Theo be loaned was too; but Ron acted before we"drifted"too far.
Cheer up folks, the transfer window is open and clubs in Chump and Prem have still to loan the BEST of their fringe players who are being looked at for their own possible squad places;'- those early loans are often the weaker first "draft" of players to get lower league experience but not the better ones.

Seems Joe Shaunessy ex Aberdeen CB just released by St. Johnstone is trialing with us. Good experience in Scott Prem- a mere 6’ which will disappoint many who want someone with the turning circle of the Belgrano..

Apparently St Johnstone say what he was asking only Aberdeen, Celtic or Rangers could pay in Scotland- someone probably told him what Rob Kiernan’s getting :-)

Only thing that doesn’t make sense to me is if he was skipper at St Johnstone who wanted to keep him, and previously in talks to go back to Aberdeen that came to nothing, why he would need to trial anywhere?

We can’t be convinced else we wouldn’t be going down the trial route and alerting a number of other L1 clubs who can then take him from under our noses- apparently as with Nathan KB’s contacts have give rave reviews.

Do we ever agree contracts subject to a trials so we get first refusal? If not with this one I suspect we just see him pass through on the way to somewhere else

I am very pleased with the quality of the players Kevin Bond has obtained for S.U.F.C. and had been attracting on trial. We now have Joe Shaunessy the former Captain of St.Johnson, having had interest fromm Aberdeen. It seems the contacts of our new manager is a cut above those of Chris Powell and Phil Brown. To me this is an indication of what we can expect. Seeing the latest training video, it highlighted the imput and knowledge of of our manager in the training roll. It is early days, but I am of the firm opinion that the club we love is in good hands and a new golden dawn might be not be to far ahead.

I am very pleased with the quality of the players Kevin Bond has obtained for S.U.F.C. and had been attracting on trial. We now have Joe Shaunessy the former Captain of St.Johnson, having had interest fromm Aberdeen. It seems the contacts of our new manager is a cut above those of Chris Powell and Phil Brown. To me this is an indication of what we can expect. Seeing the latest training video, it highlighted the imput and knowledge of of our manager in the training roll. It is early days, but I am of the firm opinion that the club we love is in good hands and a new golden dawn might be not be to far ahead.

Great post. We are going in the right direction, and the quality in the squad is improving. Once again, injuries could be a big factor this season. With a fully fit squad, whether that be this season or next season, I think the future looks good. Two good things I have heard from inside is that Milligan is one of those ultimate professional types as reported, now confirmed. And Ralph is looking a bit special at left back and although a different style, is tipped to be as good, if not better than Ben Coker.

Great post. We are going in the right direction, and the quality in the squad is improving. Once again, injuries could be a big factor this season. With a fully fit squad, whether that be this season or next season, I think the future looks good. Two good things I have heard from inside is that Milligan is one of those ultimate professional types as reported, now confirmed. And Ralph is looking a bit special at left back and although a different style, is tipped to be as good, if not better than Ben Coker.

I have heard great things about Ralph since he’s signed. Milligan seems impressive too. I’m still a little concerned by a seeming lack of action in the transfer market and I’ve heard that the Chairman has not been getting deals over the line. Whether that means we’ve actually missed out on targets as a result I’m not sure, but it’s something I know has happened in the past. Quite optimistic about KB’s ability to attract decent players though.

I have a St. Johnstone-supporting mate so I asked about Shaughnessy. Only positive things. A clever and tidy centre back who reads the game quite well and puts his head in where it hurts. Like any non-world class centre back he can make the odd error or lapse in concentration but nothing that stands out. Wants a move , possibly to England, to increase career and earning potential. Apparently the agent is a bit of a character though and has messed about both St. Johnstone and Aberdeen in contract negotiations.

I’d actually quite like us to get him signed up as soon as possible so he doesn’t slip the net.

Yep, agreed.

Dipping into the SPL is a decent tactic. A solid SPL player should just about cut it in the Championship and be top drawer in L1 or L2.

And now - and this isn't aimed at anyone in particular, just general comments - I think we really have to consider a few things when being ultra critical of our club. It seems that some of us have to say the same things window after window, season after season. First of all, we are never going to be able to compete with anyone in their prime who is on or who has been offered terms in the Prem or Championship. It''s out of our league by some distance. In order to therefore attract top players, we have had to go for those who are either "damaged goods" through being injury prone or at the end of their careers, or who have had disciplinary problems.

We know how that has worked out. Very few successes, mainly disappointments, the odd disaster. And all expensive.

But now there's a bit of a different tactic going on. Mid-lower table SPL teams are great areas to look at. Milligan (ok, at the end of his career but the Aussie captian FFS), Ralph and now possibly Shaughnessy, all very shrewd and an upgrade on what we have had before.

This is a very clever move by KB in my opinion. There is much more value up there.

And let's not be too hard on our club - for any new or potential newcomer, this is what they will see -

1) Geographically the closest seaside town to London and within easy reach
2) New stadium in the planning stage and not too far off now
3) A chairman that backs the managers financially and who is not trigger happy,
4) We have never been in administration
5) Key televised exploits over the recent history focus on the spirit and never give up attitude of the club - 2015 play off semis v Stevenage and play off final v Wycombe, last season's 0-3 comeback v Portsmouth and the Sunderland game.

We may think we know what is happening, warts and all, but in truth only a few actually know what's going on. Our job is to support the team and act as the 12th man. We managed to make Roots Hall the fortress again v Burton and Sunderland so let's do it from the off this season. I never want to see another wretched season like that at home ever again. In future, if we get beaten at the Hall, I want it to be by the better team and not because we were poor. As fans we also need to do our bit.

So come on you Blues!

It's worth mentioning that for the first time the transfer window closing date is different for League 1 compared to the Championship. The Championship has to complete all their signings before the first match of the season whilst we can sign players up to the end of August. I suspect a lot of championship fringe players that might be interested in coming to a club like ours are being held back because clubs know they will have a few weeks to offload them after their window shuts, so they are being held on to in case deals fall through.

Back