• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer Transfer Window Thread 2019

At the moment I admit to being underwhelmed by our triallists, however I cant wait to wander down the road on Friday night to take a look myself and hopefully eat some humble pie. Its a nice change from the usual 3 hour + round trip to watch the boys

Either its simply he hasn't agreed yet to come on trial (despite suggestions he has).

Or we are trying to get terms agreed up front so we have an agreed trial period with the option to buy.

If we get him on a trial with no option, the chances are he will play versus Millwall or whoever with loads of scouts watching and all we will have achieved is placing in the shop window a player we thought we wanted - not clever.

Could be either.

Or both.

I had heard that he said he’d only come in on trial if it was kept hush hush. Now that’s out of the window with the Scottish press writing stories about it, I don’t know what the next move would be. Depends on the reasons for offering a trial in the first place I guess. On the face of it Shaughnessy has enough pedigree and experience north of the border to be able to get a contract at a club like our’s without the need for a trial. If KB can trust videos and the word of those who recommended him then I’d hope he’ll just offer him a contract if he’s not going to come in on trial.

We now sit, if you take out Bury and Bolton who cant sign anyone, as second from Bottom in terms of transfer activity, Only Rochdale with 2 sit below. All so predictable, especially with 10 out again with injuries. and 10 dispensed with. Hardly the way to bring it all together pre -season but ho um we are used to the way Southend operate

We now sit, if you take out Bury and Bolton who cant sign anyone, as second from Bottom in terms of transfer activity, Only Rochdale with 2 sit below. All so predictable, especially with 10 out again with injuries. and 10 dispensed with. Hardly the way to bring it all together pre -season but ho um we are used to the way Southend operate

I take it you missed the many reasoned posts on this thread that offered some different perspectives?

Blimey, we are back in the relegation zone and the seasons not even started!

Could be either.

Or both.

I had heard that he said he’d only come in on trial if it was kept hush hush. Now that’s out of the window with the Scottish press writing stories about it, I don’t know what the next move would be. Depends on the reasons for offering a trial in the first place I guess. On the face of it Shaughnessy has enough pedigree and experience north of the border to be able to get a contract at a club like our’s without the need for a trial. If KB can trust videos and the word of those who recommended him then I’d hope he’ll just offer him a contract if he’s not going to come in on trial.
Might be that it is the player who wants the trial to get a feel for the club and living arrangements etc?

When you have loan players in, the idea is they go back at the end of the season. Every club that runs an academy releases several players each summer.

Somebody famous once said there are lies, damned lies and Barrys statistics

It's clear the management haven't been able to persuade the players they wanted to come to the club to sign! KB stated he isn't happy with the squad at the moment. Looks to me like our best bet in bringing in required improvements will be the loan market in the next few weeks. Otherwise we are going to struggle.

Blimey, I’m sorry to say this but there’s a few of the same folks posting nonsense above (and others of the usual suspects liking those posts) who seem immune to reasoned, nuanced opinions that aren’t doom / gloom / Hell in a handcart stuff.

What of the below is difficult to understand:

1) The quality of signings we have made is very good indeed, by almost all opinions

2) Number of signings is a meaningless statistic. We could sign 100 no hopers and be relegated - I believe that’s happened more than once to clubs in recent years.

3) The shorter transfer window for the Championship makes it harder for league one clubs to sign the best quality players before the start of the season. The best quality available to League One will be thinking they have a chance of a deal in the Championship, until they don’t when that league’s window closes. So you could argue that those who rushed in got the Tesco Value offerings anyway, even if they got lots of them.

Kapeesh?

Blimey, I’m sorry to say this but there’s a few of the same folks posting nonsense above (and others of the usual suspects liking those posts) who seem immune to reasoned, nuanced opinions that aren’t doom / gloom / Hell in a handcart stuff.

What of the below is difficult to understand:

1) The quality of signings we have made is very good indeed, by almost all opinions

2) Number of signings is a meaningless statistic. We could sign 100 no hopers and be relegated - I believe that’s happened more than once to clubs in recent years.

3) The shorter transfer window for the Championship makes it harder for league one clubs to sign the best quality players before the start of the season. The best quality available to League One will be thinking they have a chance of a deal in the Championship, until they don’t when that league’s window closes. So you could argue that those who rushed in got the Tesco Value offerings anyway, even if they got lots of them.

Kapeesh?

Great post. Or when that championship window closes and the extra folk start looking down a division, those already looking for league 1 will come cheaper

How reliable is Jimmy McCann on Twitter? Because according to him we’re signing a defender, midfielder and striker all in the next couple of days...

You can’t argue over the quality of the signings, although Goodship is a bit of an unknown, however......

We still have a lot of players out injured, none of which have imminent return dates. Demi, kyrprianou, Hopper, Cox, and now possibly Dru and Lennon.

We haven’t kept a clean sheet all pre season which is a huge worry.

We let 10 players leave in the summer.

We are obviously short in a couple of key areas (centre back and wide midfield).

Unless at least another two quality signings come in (which I am sure they will), we will not be much above the bottom 4.

Last seasons form is not going to suddenly and miraculously change with predominantly the same group of players.

Kapeesh

Back